Giving up artificial sweeteners...

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am on a mission to not use artificial sweeteners. I've always felt kind of weird about using it, but to me it was the lesser evil of using any "real" sweetener because of the calories. Now, things have changed...I think the artificial stuff has been making me feel the way I feel lately...just kind of generally tired and yucky and always craving sweets. I'm never satisfied with sweets now, real or not. I just can't get enough and I wasn't always like this. I'm going to sweeten with honey or agave nectar now and learn to appreciate the natural tastes of things. I think in the long run it will help me and I'll feel healthier. I have the drive now and I want to make the most of it! Wish me luck 'cuz here I go!
  • Good for you! I've stopped drinking my Crystal Light Tea, the last 2 weeks. I was drinking way too much of it. Not sure if I feel any different though???
    I still use 2 Splendas in my coffee.

Good luck!
  • Thanks, DDC. It just kind of dawned on me how much I've been using and it surely could not have been good for me. I'd have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, each with 5 packs of nutrasweet. Then oatmeal or cereal with another 3 packs. I'd also drink a whole pitcher (64 oz) of crystal light throughout the day along with a couple of diet sodas. Not to mention other stuff I'd eat like sugar free jello, sugar free ice cream... all junk junk JUNK! Today was a tough one. I don't think because of the lack of sweeteners in my life, but because of the lack of caffeine laiden drinks. I have a horrible headache, but I'm hoping it will get better in the next couple of days...
  • I am also going all natural - I am also trying to stay away from natural sugar as well - except in fruits...my parents were both diabetic so I want to watch my sugars since i am young...I have gotten used to tea or coffee without sugar - I have gotten to LOVE plain water - I can't even stand the taste of the diet soda I used to love and drink everyday...The other day by BF got flavored water -- It was awful I couldn't drink it - is was just too sweet! I think after you cut out the fake stuff you will start to feel much better -- Good luck! Thanks for sharing!
  • hey good for you! I would love to give up sweeteners altogether. I've given up diet coke, and I can honestly say the thought of it now grosses me out. My mum did the thing with the penny: if you put a dirty penny in diet coke it strips the grime away and comes out shiny. Just imagine that process at work on your oesophagus, and you'll be off coke for life!
  • Hello,
    I gave up Splenda (& every other fake artificial sweetener) 5 months ago already and I'm so glad! I just quit them cold turkey, and now I read labels on EVERYTHING to avoid them like the plaque! After 1 week off of the artificial sweeteners my mysterious stomach aches have magically disappeared! Yup, I was probably od-ing on the stuff, because artificial sweeteners were in nearly everything I used to eat.. Fiber 1 cereal, lowfat yogurt, granola bars, etc., I even used to bake with it, put it in my tea daily too and in my oatmeal. Surprisingly it has been pretty easy to quit it cold turkey, and I have had no withdrawls whatsoever. Did you know there is even artificial sweeteners in toothpaste, cold medicines, and now all of the older chewing gums are even switching over to the artificial sweeteners! If I need to sweeten something now I use agave or regular brown sugar instead.
  • Hey one of my friends JUST informed about artificial sweetners. I had no idea that they were actually worse for you than regular SUGAR! I've totally given them also and am not allowing them in the house!
  • I too gave up artificail sweetners. There have been studies showing they make you crave sweets. They think it is because you get the sweet taste, but not the associated calories. Making you eat more later. I used to kid myself into thinking I was getting enough water because I dumped crystal light into every drop I drank. Now it is just plain water 60 to 80 ounces a day. I think food tastes better. I actually think skim milk tastes sweet. I do use regular sugar (brown) in moderation and it is measured and accounted for in my daily calorie count. IMHO I think artificial sweeteners were sabotaging (at least in part) previous weight loss attempts!!
  • I gave up diet sodas a little while ago...not even sure when since it wasn't a totally conscious decision....but I do feel better!! Healthier, too!

The ONLY time I use sweetener is in coffee, and I only have one cup per day. And I DO find I'm craving sweets less! It's great !!

Best of luck...it was a little rough saying no to diet coke for a few days....
  • I never used artificial sweeteners, I always thought that they can't be good for you and possibly are worse than actual sugar. I used to sweeten my coffee (long time ago) but I stopped doing that and now I put only milk into my coffee (I buy 1% milk). Tea - I drink only herbal teas, again, with no sugar or anything. The only exception that I make sometimes is the Sleepy Time tea (from Celestial Seasonings), sometimes I add honey and lime juice.
    I am originally from Europe and I find most of everything over-sweetened (in North America). Whenever I bake (from American or Canadian recipes) I usually cut the sugar by some 40% and it is still sweet enough. I do this even when trying the recipe for the first time, I simply know that by default it calls for too much sugar.

On the odd occasion when I have pop I would drink regular coke (but those are really rare occasions). Sometimes, in summer, I buy cranberry flavoured pop (regular) but I drink mixed with water (typically, 1 part pop, 2 parts water). There is still plenty of flavour and sugar even in the 1 part. I simply hate the taste of artificial sweeteners in anything.
  • Okay, so I went through all my pantry and kitchen and I found LOADS like 2 big shopping bags full of sugar free items. Many are new in box... What should I do with these? Seems like a waste to throw them out and I'm not sure donation centers want low calorie/no calorie items?!? I hate wasting stuff.
  • You could still donate them because there are plenty of diabetics out there Rarely do we ever see diabetic/sugar free items come in our donation center, but I am sure there are people out there who could use it.
  • That is an AWESOME reason, Daizylin. Now I won't feel dumb bringing these in. I had other things I wanted to donate too, so YAY for no waste!
  • Glad I could help
  • artificial sweeteners do use sugar. but not the natural sugar. they use snythesized sugar which is actually carcinogenic (cncer causing agent). Consuming such sugar is worse than consuming the natural sugar. Keep to natural sugar because its easier for your body to burn them too.