Wanted to say hello...new to the board

• Hello All! Just wanted to say hello. I have just joined the group here this evening. I'm doing Atkins and enjoying it. So far it has been quite easy (this is day six)

I did have a kind of interesting thing happen at the grocery store this evening. I had to stop after work and had gone longer than I should have between meals so I was overly hungry by the time I got there. I walked in and the first thing I saw was a stack of cookies. I started to reach for a package before I realized...wait...I can't have those . So I went on by but I couldn't get them out of my head. I wanted them. Then I kept seeing other things I wanted. High carb things. I begin to talk myself into throwing the diet to the wayside and loading up my cart with all sorts of high carb foods. I found myself getting down right angry that I couldn't have them. . So this continued as I shopped and only selected the low carb friendly foods. I had everything I needed and yet I didn't leave the store. I was giving myself time to talk myself into a nice high carb binge. Finally, I told myself, okay, do it. Get whatever you want. Buy it. Eat it. So then I asked myself an important question...and not what you might think . I asked myself...okay if you're going to have this binge...what do you want? I stood there in the middle of the store...I'm sure people thought I was nuts...and thought...and thought and I said to myself...well, I want those cookies. Then I though okay, that's a good start, what else do you want. And I though and I thought...and I simply couldn't think of anything else. Nothing. My mind was blank . So I said to myself, self, a package of cookies is not worth ruinning your diet. I paid for my low carb foods and left.

It was amazing to me that when it came down to it I couldn't think of one single thing in that whole store I wanted.

I'm happy with my decision. I came home and ate my dinner...salad and a hamburger...no bun of course and jello ...and was perfectly happy.

There were two very large women in the store that had to shop using those motorized carts...I thought, I don't ever want to be one of those people. Besides I accidently saw my butt in a glass door today...scary...if that won't keep you on the straight and narrow nothing will!

All best,

Beth
  • Welcome!!!
    Beth!!!

You've come to a great place for advice,support & encouragement! Sounds like you are off to a great start!!

You CAN do this!!

All the best to you!!

Kim
  • Welcome - this is a great supportive and resourceful sight for fending off cookies! I can sometimes think about things I've read or written here and hold myself off when I need willpower. We're all human, and we all need each others support. This can be the anticookie. Check out the "why I shouldn't have eaten that" section. I printed a bunch of them out and stuck it to my fridge. Helps.
  • Welcome Beth. Congrat's on getting started on Atkins and the wt. loss thus far. WTG. This plan really works. I am now on maintainance for almost 5 months, but stick around here because I too need this support.
  • Welcome zonaB and Great Story-Strategy!!!! I'll use it.
  • Thanks!
    Good Morning Everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome. It is nice to have a place to be able to share and find support. Hopefully, I will be able to do the same for someone here when they need it .

I hope you all have a great day.

Beth
  • Beth!
  • Welcome Beth! Your willpower was AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing that with us! WTG on the weight loss and keep up the great job
  • You've come to the right place. Congratulations on talking yourself out of those cookies. I think we all could take a lesson from your experience. Judy