Old 10-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #1  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Default Sugar Free, may not always be sugar free!!

I picked up one of those coffemate sugar free creamers they other day. I looked at the carb count, only 1g, cool I thought. Thats better than my cream and splenda sweetened flavouring. O sugars too!!! So I didnt read any further.

As you can see from the cut and paste I did from the coffee-mate website, it does indeed have sugar in it. But the word "sugar" isnt used. Corn syrup, is sugar in my books, as is maltodextrin!!!! So how can something that is sugar free, have 0 sugars in its labelling, but corn syrup, be the second ingredient listed, be sugar free? (**adds a trivial amount of sugar)?!?!?!!!!! But again, its the second ingredient listed!!

Id much rather take the extra carbs in my half and half and flavouring, than risk this stuff sending me on a sugar binge!

I just dont understand how they can get away with it. It annoys me to say the very least!

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 tbsp (15mL)

Amount Per Serving

Calories 15 Calories from Fat 10

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1 g 1%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Trans Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 5 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 1 g 0%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 0 g

Not a significant source of dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron.

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Servings Per Container
about 63 (32 FL OZ)

INGREDIENTS: WATER, CORN SYRUP**, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, AND LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)***, MALTODEXTRIN, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, COLOR ADDED, NATURAL & ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, POLYSORBATE 60, CARRAGEENAN, SUCRALOSE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (NON-NUTRITIVE SWEETENER).
** Adds a trivial amount of sugar.
*** Not a source of lactose.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:29 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 1.5"

If it has less than 1 g of carb, then it's considered "sugar-free" per serving. Just as Pam, etc...according to the FDA, if the serving size is small enough, then it can be labelled "free."

http://www.fda.gov/ora/inspect_ref/i...ATTACHMENT%207
mandagemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:30 PM   #3  

They cover their butts with the "trivial amount of sugar" disclaimer. =(
Old 10-23-2006, 11:06 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

sad isnt it......but I sure hope the average consumer is smart enough to NOT fall for it.

I wouldnt have, if I had read the whole label
Old 10-24-2006, 07:52 AM   #5  

Yes, it's sad. I mean, even looking at the packets of Splenda/Equal...they're made with maltodextrin and dextrose...both sugar. So *shrug* I guess we're better off just using real foods, I dunno. (Hahahaha...like that'll happen. NO WAY am I giving up my artificial sweeteners. Even if it is only one or two).
Old 10-25-2006, 04:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

Shocking, sad, but true. I'm a label reader, suspicious of every new product! Of course, I'm always suspicious of pseudo foods anyway.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:02 PM   #7  
Walk/Low Carb Away Pounds

S/C/G: 190/178.8/170

Height: 5'3-1/2"

Do you guys read you meat labels too? I was going to make a breakfast casserole, but when I looked at the ingredients on the breakfast sausage all but one of them had "sugar" listed as an ingredient. Even though the package says 0 or 1 carb per serving.

I really like the Davinci flavorings. They say 0 carbs but they do have splenda in them. So between Davinci and heavy cream I get a wonderful dessert coffee that doesn't give me cravings like the whipped cream, and tastes sweet enough without my splenda packets.
MsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #8  
Lovin' Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChris View Post
Do you guys read you meat labels too? I was going to make a breakfast casserole, but when I looked at the ingredients on the breakfast sausage all but one of them had "sugar" listed as an ingredient. Even though the package says 0 or 1 carb per serving.
yup, I do. Especially meats from the super walmart.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #9  
on my way down again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChris View Post

I really like the Davinci flavorings. They say 0 carbs but they do have splenda in them. So between Davinci and heavy cream I get a wonderful dessert coffee that doesn't give me cravings like the whipped cream, and tastes sweet enough without my splenda packets.
Liquid Splenda does not have the carbs like the powder Splenda packets, so it's OK to have the Da Vinci syrup or Liquid Splenda. It's the "powder" that has the carbs.
Sonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #10  
Walk/Low Carb Away Pounds

S/C/G: 190/178.8/170

Height: 5'3-1/2"

WOW-thanks for letting me know about Liquid Splenda. I can add that to my repertoire.
MsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

That bites the big one..... good detective work Robin
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote