Old 09-12-2006, 02:28 PM   #1  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Default Atkins and teens

My 14 yr. old DD wants to do Atkins again starting today. She started it when I first did and lost from 136 to 110. She is 5'4. She was down to a size 0-1. She is now up to 142 which is what I weigh. It is bothering her that she weighs the same as me. Her new school clothes that were size 3 won't fit her and she is wearing my 4's and 5's. Like me, she is thin through the hips and legs but larger through the abdomen. I am very much encouraging her to just exercise and not diet. She's not really big, she just needs to tone her tummy some. At 140/88 she is becoming borderline hypertensive. Her friends all weigh about 90 lbs. and this makes her feel huge. Like I said, she tried Atkins before and did well but then reverted to her old way of eating. I keep plenty of healthy foods in the house. Her main problem with food is while at her friends. She loves pizza. She has had previous abdominal and heart surgery when she was 8 and 9 yrs. old. She isn't at all athletic. I don't want her to screw up her metabolism from yo-yo dieting at such a young age and have problems all her life. When she lost the weight before it was at a very slow pace, only about 3-4 lbs. a month. She ate 50 carbs a day to my 25. Should I let her try to lose some weight or absolutely not? Should I take her to our family Dr. and see what he recommends?
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #2  

Since your diet is really a modified Atkins, I don't know why it would hurt her. A book she might like to read which is short and to the point is The Overfed Head by Rob Stevens.......only144 pages of interesting reading. He lost 140 lb in a year and a half. You hate to see teens so concerned about their weight since they really aren't that heavy but you hate to see them troubled all their life, too.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My neighbor, when I was in junior high, went on Atkins and lost a lot of weight. She was very motivated at the time and has never, never gained the weight back (we're now 43 and we've both had 2 kids). Perhaps it helps that she is now a lot more active than she was in junior high (she hikes a lot), but it was something that she wanted to do way back when. None of the other kids in the neighborhood could understand why she was restricting herself so much, but it really paid off for her. Now her diet is just a healthy all around diet--nothing restrictive. She was never a fat kid--more that she was tall and could carry extra weight without looking fat. Once she trimmed down (at the time she may have been a size 12 and now is an 8) she really looked good.

I'd say that as long as she has her doctor's blessing, it should be okay (he should at least be aware of it due to the boarderline high BP).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:40 PM   #4  
something witty

Hi lilybelle!

Ideally, I would take her to a registered nutritionist- sometimes doctors aren't as knowledgeable about nutrition and diets. If that's not possible, then taking her to a doctor would be good as well.

But personally, I would try to discourage her from doing Atkins. I don't think it's something that teaches long-term healthy habits. Plus she's a teenager and I don't know what carb restriction would do to a growing body.

I think it can be healthy for teens to lose weight, but it should be done carefully. I think the best you can do is get her as much information on healthy eating, portion control, exercise and the dangers of crash dieting. Then she'll have to make some of her own choices.
linki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:01 PM   #5  
Cause I'm worth it!!!!

S/C/G: 202/See Ticker/130

Height: 5"6

I am a teen on atkins , and from what it sounds , your daughter if I was her , be thankful to be born that small and have more of a healthy diet than a low carb. I am not having the best time of my life right now , but its something I need to take care of. Have you suggested she just rather than have a pizza and chips type lunch opt for a salad or snack on fruit salads and veggies rather than brownies and cookies? Im sure you have but thats my imput.
vouge09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:02 AM   #6  
lilybelle

She came home from school crying on Friday. A boy teased her and asked if she was pregnant. All her extra weight is in her tummy. She is trying now to lose a little weight. She has a really hearty appetite and is a picky eater. I am trying to keep plenty of healthy foods that she enjoys in the house. My cabinets and fridge are bare of junk food. I am encouraging her to make sure she gets milk, fruit and whole grains as well as plenty of protein and veggies. She seems like her spirit is better and she used the treadmill last night. It is so difficult with teens when they are worried about their weight. Our family Dr. is encouraging her to only try to lose about 15 lbs.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 232.5/230.5/160

Height: 5'4"

I have a 16 year old boy, and believe it or not, the weight issue can be a thing with guys too.

He has always been stocky, and the first time I went on Atkins and lost my 60 pounds, he sorta followed what I did - cut out the sugar and white flour stuff and stuck with the whole wheat healthy stuff and he ended up shedding about 20 pounds just doing that.

Now he is on a DDR kick - and I have to say that exercise is definitely the answer for him - he has lost a tremendous amount of body fat by not changing his diet, and just exercising.

I would encourage her to eat healthy whole foods but kick up her exercise. That should do the trick!
KnicKnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:57 PM   #8  
lilybelle

I'm happy to say that she was all smiles this morning. She has lost 3 lbs. since Friday and weighs less than mom now. (Which tickles her tremendously). Her tummy is already looking a little flatter. I know it's water weight that she lost, but since she's happy, I'm happy for her. She is taking a sandwich on LC whole wheat bread and a piece of fruit for lunch. She is eating the LC breakfast bars with 1% milk for breakfast and then having the LC dinner that I cook. She loves brocolli and we have been having it with dinner a lot. She is getting in the range of 50 carbs a day and I don't want her going lower than this. She loves the Progresso LC cheesy chicken soup and has this for a snack after school. I'm sure that she is getting enough calories per day. Last night she used the exercise ball and did a bunch of sit-ups, leg lifts and push ups. I'm proud of her for trying to get some exercise.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:55 PM   #9  
Cause I'm worth it!!!!

Thats great. It is hard, for everyone especially teenagers.I dont get teased for my weight but I know that It doesnt cross anyones mind, or if someone refers to me as " the chunky girl ' which hurts alot and is part why i have has such motivation and determination. I want to be known as ' the girl who lost a bunch of weight "

I visited my best friend yesterday who I hadnt seen like over a month, and she had no idea I was dieting , and she immediatly asked me, if id lost weight and told me I look great. I see myself everyday and dont see that much of a change but I guess its visible. I am only on mid- week 2 of induction, and i think my water weight is gone. I need a scale.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #10  
lilybelle

vouge, WTG on the induction. Sounds like you're taking off the lbs. Good job.
My DD seems happier right now and I am so glad that she's wearing regular shirts and not trying to hide under baggy sweatshirts again. (They really don't help any).
Old 09-20-2006, 03:01 PM   #11  
Cause I'm worth it!!!!

I sometimes do that do , but it sounds like your Daughter has a nice figure to begin with and shes just being a teenage girl , thanks lillybelle
Old 09-20-2006, 03:32 PM   #12  
lilybelle

Yeah, she mentioned the other day about wanting to shop for more sweat shirts. It doesn't bother me to see her wear them when it's weather appropriate, but she'll wear them in hot weather to try to cover up her tummy. She is feeling a little less self-conscious already and I am glad. Kids can be very cruel and like my DD with only maybe 10 extra lbs. she gets picked on sometimes. It breaks her heart.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:56 PM   #13  
Baby Steps

I have to admit I smother myself in my clothes. I wear shirts and sweatshirts that are too big to hide my body. It's not just a teen thing. But glad to hear your DD is doing great
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:55 PM   #14  
Cause I'm worth it!!!!

huh , I have been teased about my weight since 6th grade , I was called so many names i am emotionally scared to even speak of them. Kids are ridiculous to make fun of your daughter.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:06 AM   #15  
lilybelle

A boy in her class today told her to "get your fat a@@ away from me" because her assigned seat is next to his. Another boy in the class jumped up and smacked him. It never stops. My goodness, she's not that big. She's a tough cookie, I'm just surprised she didn't smack that boy herself, I probably would have.