3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Newbie, Need some help!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/87039-newbie-need-some-help.html)

Glamourgirl25 06-16-2006 03:57 PM

Newbie, Need some help!!!

Hello all,

I've been lurking around the boards for a week, and finally signed up because I need to ask you some questions. You're all so friendly and supportive, I should have done this a while ago!

I started Induction last Tuesday, so it's been about 10 days. I was doing really well and dropping some pounds (I'm 5'5", started at 150 and dropped to almost 142 in the first week!) and exercising hard (about an hour a day). I would like to lose 20 pounds, to get to about 130.

Anyways, since Tues I've started to feel kinda bloated and heavy again. Clothes fit a little tighter. I started to get the cravings again last night (?) so I had a little extra cream cheese and celery, no big deal. Well this morning I woke up feel super big, so I decided to weigh to dispel my fears and lo and behold - I'm back up to 145! I was so discouraged that I impulsively went out and bought some Atkins bars and ate them.

So now I don't know what to do. Is this normal? It WOULD be that TOM, except I'm on BC where I only have TOM 4 times a year. Is that it? Is my body resistent to this woe? I don't know what to do! I feel so discouraged!

Thank you for reading this!

lilybelle 06-16-2006 04:16 PM

I don't think you can gain 3 lbs. in a day. You are probably retaining some fluid from all the exercise. You lost 8 lbs. so you aren't resistant to this WOE. Give it some time and the weight will drop. Be patient. I know my weight fluctuates so, I just weigh weekly. Good luck and best wishes.

rebeleagle1965 06-16-2006 04:31 PM

8 pounds in a week is great!
Lots of different things can make you retain water-exercise, salt intake, cafffienated drinks.....it's just water weight, don't worry too much about it.
3500 calories = 1 pound
Unless you ate 10,500 calories more than you burned that day (which is virtually impossible), you cannot possibly have gained that much fat.
If it really bothers you, drinking more water makes you retain less, so drink TONS, or even take an herbal water pill (diuretic), but it's not at all necessary-it will come off on it's own in no time.

P.S. Try to steer clear of too many Atkin's bars, especially this soon into it. Quite frankly I've tried 2, and they both tasted like cardboard to me, anyway! Even though they have that label, they deduct LOTS of sugar alcohols from the carb count, which is ironic because the original book the doctor wrote says only to deduct fiber.
Very few people can eat them and not stall their weight loss.

lady_adnerb 06-17-2006 08:52 AM

Hey there! Don't get discouraged too fast! You've done great so far! What they've said definitely is what I would have said. Could be the exercise--building muscle. Even though you don't get TOM....your system must still go through a "cycle" but the BC kicks in. So maybe that could be it. Just skip the bars, continue as you have been, and you'll see it drop off again.
And :welcome:

RobinW 06-17-2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

....your system must still go through a "cycle"
my system always went thru its "cycle" when I took my pills back to back to miss a period. I had done it for 3 months in a row, and each time the cycle played itself thru. So wait and see if thats what it is...you are just holding water. 3lbs in one day is not fat, its water.

You've done a great job so far, dont let something like this throw you off. Oh, and stay away from those bars.....those will stall you out faster than a krispy kreme donut!! :lol: Keep up the great work!! :cb:

Born2run2 06-18-2006 05:49 PM

8lbs is impressive, congratulations:cb: :joker: :bravo: . Try and stay off the sugar alcohols for awhile, and increase your water intake and see what happens. You can do it you already proved it, Judy

Glamourgirl25 06-21-2006 02:15 AM

Thanks guys! Your comments are so helpful.

Unfortunately, I fell off the wagon that day. I think by the time I posted it was too late - I already was gripped with that "I HAVE TO EAT SWEETS" mentality that is fatal. But I learned an extremely valuable lesson - I NEED support! I need support to stop it before it starts. So, here I am, and hopefully you sill see much more (and much less) of me throughout the coming weeks. Starting induction again tomorrow, and excited (though a little nervous - ah, those withdrawals are awful).

Much love to all, have a great day!

lady_adnerb 06-21-2006 11:37 AM

Sorry to hear you slipped off the wagon. Happens to most of us. Just hop back on and grab a hold :)

rebeleagle1965 06-21-2006 11:10 PM

Don't beat yourself up-it's easy to lose track, especially if you think you've gained or feel like crap. It's easy to have will power when the scale is constantly moving down, and just as easy to tell yourself you may as well have what you want if the scale isn't moving in the right direction.

Also, another reason lots of people try to stay away from the Atkins bars, and sugar alcohols in general, is that in some people they cause a similar insulin reaction to actual sugar-they end up causing cravings. Some people even avoid diet sodas and artificial sweeteners for that. That may not be the case for you-you may not have a problem with them, it's just a thought. I didn't give up diet coke, and it never had an effect on me.