Old 06-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Hello from CO

Hi everyone. DH and I are starting Atkins (again) today. We had great success with it a few years ago. Then I got pregnant, and instead of moving to the maintenance phase, we just threw it out the door and went back to our old ways of eating. Sad to say, all but 10 pounds of what I lost came back on. We are ready to go again and make it a lifetime WOE this go.

DS is 1 1/2 now. DH and I are, well, old. LOL Took 10 years to get pregnant.

We live in the metro Denver area.

As you can see from my ticker, I have a looonnnnggg way to go on this journey. I'm looking forward to making some great LC friends here.

To avoid temptation, I have gotten rid of any no-no carbs in the house except wheat bread for DS (I don't like wheat bread, so that's not a temptation for me). But I am concerned that he still gets enough carbs. Don't need the baby in ketosis! I'd love any tips you moms/dads have for keeping little ones on an appropriate diet while mom and dad to LC.
Oh, I did also keep sugar free applesauce for him. (We've never given him much sugar, just because we know it isn't good for him.) And he gets one sippy (8 oz) of juice each day to help with his constipation.

Speaking of which - he wants lunch. I'll be around! (and soon, less round! )
TravelinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #2  

Interesting...5 people read my post but no greetings... Maybe this isn't a board that likes new people.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/165.5/142

Robin, many times people that are not registered sneak in here and peak at all the posts. Unregistered users can read but can't post. Don't take it as an insult. We love new people! You will see more people posting in the evenings and on the weekends here.

Anyway, WELCOME! I know it's not easy getting "back on the wagon" but you should be proud for making the commitment to do it!(And your husband too!)

You will find lots of good support here.
JudyChat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:59 PM   #4  

Talking

Hi TravelinGal!

We like new people! Welcome and good luck on your journey. You have a great outlook and good attitude coming into this. And since it's your second try, you probably know all of the ins-and-outs of this diet. If you have questions, post them here. I find that everyone is super helpful with inquiries.

I started the diet on May 8th. I fell off the wagon this past weekend but thank my lucky stars, my 10lbs that initally came off stayed off. I didn't fall off the wagon too far so it wasn't all that bad I guess.

I'm now back in full force and am feeling really great. I'm a full-time working mommy...although my baby is 9 months old so I don't have that interaction of keeping him on a certain food diet just yet -- he's still on baby food.

So how is your menu? Are you exercising?

Because of my cheating weekend, I'm being really strict with myself and following the diet to a "T."

I'm online all the time and check here often! Would love to be buddies through this journey -- we are all in this together. Good luck to you and hubby. You are lucky to be doing it together -- much easier!!!
Buffy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #5  

Oh Yay! I was really worried this was one of those cliqueish boards that wasn't very open to new people. Glad it's not!!!!
Didn't think about non-registered people reading the post but not being able to reply...

Buffy - well, I didn't totally give him a choice. He is the one who suggested getting back on plan, but then he's gone back and forth on if WE should do it. I told him that I was going to do it and he wouldn't be getting any junky carbs in our home! LOL
That must be hard working full time and leaving your DS. I didn't make enough $ when I was working to justify the cost of child care. I would have been working to pay insurance and childcare with nothing left over. Most days I love being a SAHM. There is the occasional day I would love to have an office to escape to, but DS's cranky days are few and far between.
We have not been exercising prior to this and Dr Atkins suggested not exercising the first 2-3 days of induction due to (highly) possible reduced energy levels. I am going to start walking with DS every other day and try to work up to every day. I'll try to get DH to walk with us, but I'm not going to do nothing if he won't go. (He says he walks all day long and he doesn't need exercise... (ok -where's the rolling eyes guy? LOL) He doesn't get that he needs a continous brisk walk to do good.

Today I had 2 scrambled eggs with cream cheese for breakfast and a tuna salad and lettuce for lunch. I've had one of three of my big cups of water. (96 oz - doing more water since I have so much weight to lose - they say you should add 8 oz for every 25 lbs you are trying to lose). Just got our order from Omaha Steaks about 30 minutes ago. Gonna go easy tonight - probably a basic steak and broccoli. Freezer is stocked now though - steaks, chicken, burgers, pork chops...

My biggest concern (down the road - October, to be exact) is a trip to Walt Disney World. We are getting the meal plan which includes an appetizer, entree and DESSERT for each person. And counter service foods will be really tough too... I'm not a huge fry person anyway, but when put in front of me, well... I keep having dreams about the Maple Creme Brulee... (At Le Cellier in EPCOT) Will I be strong enough to resist it and order berries and cream instead??

Last edited by TravelinGal; 06-01-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/167.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Hello and yes, welcome. I must admit firstly that I was one the ones who looked at your post and didn't reply. I was in a bit of a hurry and thought I would come back later when I had more time.
I think that you really will find this a great site with super support!
I'm maggie and have been on Atkins since about April 1. I started off with a bang but have hit a stall for the past few weeks. So I have been a bit grouchy to say the least. However, I really love this diet and don't want to give up, I just want to see some progress again.

How are you doing with it? THe first few days is the hardest as I'm sure you know already! I am trying to kick my exercise becasus I know if I'm failing anywhere it's there!
If you have any questions, complaints, brags, or praise feel free to post them! We are all VERY supportive here I promise. If you get a chance, jump on our weekly chat, that willgive you a chance to learn a bit more about everyone and our indivual struggles.
I look forward to hearing more from you and keeping up on your progress!

And by the way, I love your family picture!
maggie
needtolose4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #7  

Maggie - thanks - That picture was taken on Mother's Day at WDW/EPCOT.
Have you thought about the fat fast that Dr Atkins talks about? I know that would always help me before when I'd stall.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #8  

you know I was just going to start that today and someone scared me off it . can you tell me about your experience with it?
how long did you do it,what did you eat, how much did you lose, and did you put it right back on?
See, we're not afraid to ask questions here! lol
thanks
maggie
Old 06-01-2006, 05:01 PM   #9  

Maggie, I don't remember a lot about the fat fast except that it worked! I think I did it for 3 days...but it was about 2 1/2 years ago when I quit LC because of the Dr's glucose IV threats... I did it twice while I was LC'ing. I don't remember how much I lost each time, but it did break a plateau each time. Other than induction, it was the hardest part!
Speaking of induction, you can also go back to induction for a week or two to see if that will break the stall if you're concerned about the fat fast. How many carbs are you eating a day now?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:45 PM   #10  
Baby Steps

Robin: Come join us in the daily chat We're ALWAYS open to new people. The more the merrier!
I make my daughters pizza and taco's or foods they like that I can't have. Most often I make them stuff I don't like Makes it easier. Or I make them the meat we're having, then a baked potato or something else to go with it and we (DH and I) have a salad to go with ours.
Once again.....welcome
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #11  
Walk/Low Carb Away Pounds

S/C/G: 190/178.8/170

Height: 5'3-1/2"

Smile

Robin to 3FC. I am a restarter too. I got started on May 22. I think everyone on the board is great. They are really supportive and friendly, but all of our schedules are a little different. I am still trying to get a good feel for how everything is done. This is the first forum I have ever participated in. I was always to scared to join the other boards I visited. I have a hub and 2 boys (8 & 6) at home that I fix extras for their meals. And I do the Wheat Bread too. I bought Nature's Own Low Carb Bread (5 Net Carbs/ Slice) just in case I am ever tempted. So for breakfast, the boys eat bacon & eggs with me and I just add a slice of toast with jelly for them. For dinner, I will cook an extra side for them of whatever they want, but they mostly eat what I eat plus a roll, or something extra. I also eat smaller quantities that hub and boys.

Good Luck on this new adventure and I will see you around.
MsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #12  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting started on Atkins again. I have children at home too. I cook the same for them and DH except I give them some bread, milk, potatoes or macncheese with dinner. It doesn't bother me to see them eat these things now. I fix lots of salads and veggies to go with our meats and always have plenty of fresh fruits available for everyone. This WOE has been easy for me to adapt for a whole family. None of us really use sugar, so that isn't a problem. They do love fried fish, so I bake or grill mine when I fry theirs. We all love mexican food and LC tortillas seem to work fine for everyone. If I were you, I'd keep things such as bananas and crackers handy for the little one. Good luck and you are so lucky having a DH that is on the plan with you.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #13  
Susan hockeyfan7

Hi and welcome! I'm in metro Denver too.

My husband is not on Atkins and he likes his carbs. Since I have Celiac disease, I can't touch his bread and Pringles and Twinkies anyway, so they don't bother me being in the house. He loves those Lipton pasta side dishes, so I will make him one of those to go with our meat and veggies for dinner. He's on his own for lunch and breakfast most days. When I'm home on weekends for breakfast, he gets toast or english muffin or biscuit with his eggs and bacon and I don't. It seems to work fine.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #14  

Welcome Robin! Good luck, and I wish you all the success you had before and more.
Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #15  

Hey robin -
I ampretty well staying in the induction area of carbs (20-25) . I never really went off induction. Infact yesterday when I logged my food on fitday I came up with about 8 carbs. Don't ask me why. I have never recorded my food like this before. I thought it would be more. the calories were about 1500 http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/DayFoodsTab.asp. this is the link if anyone want to check it out to see wht the heck I'm doing. I really only have the one day in there so far.
thanks
maggie