Old 05-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #16  

Oh gosh girls! You all are so amazing.

Thanks Candy. I got teary eyed over what the doc said to your son. That really is true!!! I wish your son a full recovery, and please keep us posted about him as you can. There's nothing more terrible than a sick kid! Expecially with a serious illness.. Oh, and the fact that they thought it was normal for a kid to have a seizure makes me cringe!

Susan - thanks for the link. I actually got him in today, at 3pm. I will keep you all posted for sure. He woke me up last night with a mild nose bleed. *sigh* Never has he had one of those in his life!

Brenda - the same thing happened to my daughter. She was having several days of migranes, and after 4 visits they did an MRI and she had a severe sinus infection also. It was just so far up, they couldn't see it with the scope. The only thing that makes me think Moose is different, is the flu like symptoms once (sometimes twice) a month for the last 6 months, including high fever. I hope your neighbor girl gets better and it's nothing that can't be cured!

Sherry - thanks. He's ok this morning. He's eating his granola and watching a movie. He's actually happy to be going to the doctor, and I sense it's because he also knows somethings not right.

Watch! We end up on Mystery Diagnosis on Discovery Health Channel. LOL Wouldn't that be our luck. I have just heard such wonderful stuff about Children's and I hope they find something out.

When they tell me what's wrong, i'm tempted to complain for a refund from the first lady. Why is it, if we were unhappy with a contractor, plumber, etc can we keep from paying for lack of satisfaction, but a doctor doesn't have to do the same? If they feared people coming back for their money, they might actually DO their job thoroughly to begin with. The nurse at Children's was surprised when I told her the doc didn't check his BP. $150 for less than 10 minutes! HMPH! Ok, i'm just going to continue to bee pissy until I know whats wrong.

Thanks for the support ladies. I don't know what i'd do without you all!
Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:15 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 205/166.2/150

Height: 5'3

Falon, I am so glad you got him in to go see a doctor... Tell them everything and give them H**L if you need to...... I also would try for a refund...Don't sound like that doctor gave you 150 dollars worth to me.... Let um have it..

I decided to change my avatar.. Well not change it but, let you all see the whole picture... It's at my son's "Matthew's" 8th grade Graduation...Last year. He's the one i've been talking about.
Candy
Candy In Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #18  
Baby Steps

Candy: What a sweet thing for the doc to say. Shoot, we had a weenie doc once for our kids, and when YDD had to go in he asked her if she did drugs. She was like 7 at the time. And I'm like WHAT??? UGH! I much better like your doc

Falon: If you don't want to ask for your money back, go to the business office of the doctor and tell THEM. If the doc is associated with a clinic name (and not just in business for himself)...then go to them. Explain that you didn't feel that the doc was thorough or that you didn't think the doc took your concerns serious. See what they say Good luck and definitely let us know how it goes today. It's actually a girl from our church. And just found out THEY (the docs) are going to wait a MONTH to do a cat scan to see if the headaches go away as it's "not a sinus infection" . WTheck is with doctors?? Do they LIKE to see people sick/in pain? Well, one thing, it keeps them coming back!

Stepped on the scale this morning and it had gone down. But I had to go to "muffins with mom" with YDD and so I'm sure that messed things up. But hey, at least I know it can go down again Well, that and I didn't like how come I went down. I hadn't eaten really much at all yesterday. I refuse to give up on food just to get to the weight I want. So we'll see what happens.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #19  
Baby Steps

Hey....where's everyone else? They all on vacation and didn't tell us? Then again, if they're getting awesome weather I can understand them being outside. We're in a rainy bit so that's why I'm inside.
Helloooooo.....anyone home??
Old 05-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 221.2/186.4/170

Height: 5'7"

Falon: Have you heard anything about your son's tests. My friend called yesterday and her son had a couple of weeks of feeling awefull. She took him to the doctor and she said growing pains. His dad is a paramedic and took him for trip number 2 and requested a check for mono. She felt he was too young, homeschool so likely no exposed to it, etc.... But dad insisted.
Got the results yesterday and it was mono.

This week has been crazy. Eating will be off plan today. Funerals are not a good time to be picky and eat differently. I did see another loss this morning to 169. I can see myself hiting my summer goal soon! Just thinking I should lower it soon and just shoot for the 150's
Ciarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #21  

Lady_Adnerb,...It was the ER doctor that ask him that...I wouldn't going to wait on a app. with his doctor...Sometimes weeks before you can get in to see him... What is up with these doc.... and nurse's... The Er Restering nurse ask matthew... 3 TIMES!!!!...if he was doing drugs or drank alcohol...At that age he would need 3 Doctors by the time i got done with him... ...:LOL...It's rainy here today to... expecting storms later this evening...

Ciarra, doctors love throwing growing pains out there these days don't they....Heard that one alot here lately... I hope he gets better soon...

Lillybelle , It is terrifing to watch our kids go through things like this....I would change places any day if i could....Glad to hear all went well with your daughter..Hope all is going good for you and your recovery is speedy..
Candy
Old 05-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #22  

Ciarra -

Nope. This has been going on since early December, so I would be shocked if mono was the case. We go in today at 3pm. He's feeling fine right now, but I have got to have someone look him over thoroughly. *sigh* This just isn't normal, and it sure isn't growning pains. Actually 4 years ago, my daughter was finally diagnosed with West Nile Virus (after 2 energencies room and 2 doc appts - Children's actually did the test!) and the 4 places before hand, tried to say growing pains! Ugh! I really think the industry is lazy, and the few good docs out there, aren't near us! LOL

I'll let you all know afterwards.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:12 PM   #23  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Keep it up Falon and be persistent. You both deserve a decent answer and to find out what the problem is. Has he had a tick bite in the last 6 months or so? Something to find out. Does he have neck pain? Make them check out everything. We as parents know when something's not right with our kids. Good luck and well wishes. Susan, best of luck with your son and keep us posted. Candy, thanks and I do feel so much better. Also, Susan, i had my son (19) at the Dr.'s last winter with pneumonia, the doctor made me leave the room and interrogated him for quite a while about drug use and sexually transmitted diseases. My son was pretty upset and so was I. BTW, he's in the Army Reserves and is tested regularly for substance abuse. Sometimes, doctors see so much that they don't realize that teens actually get sick and it has nothing to do with drugs or sex.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #24  

Ok, well.. we just got back from Children's and they were awesome! They spent nearly an hour with us -- 2 doctors. They gave him a thorough head to toe exam, and sat and talked for a long time.

1. It would have been more in our favor had I brought him in with one of the fevers for them to do the blood work.

2. They agreed this doesn't sound normal and believe it could be a few things. a) Auto-immune or b) in the brain.

So they want us to keep a detailed journal for 4 weeks: When a headache comes on, the time, the location, anything else that comes on during the same time, and on a scale of 1 - 10. Then we take him to a neurologist. Yes, I wish it would have been sooner, but I would be walking in blindly, and not with enough info in hand to show them. I am at fault for not keeping record of it all.

They said 6 months is to long for it to really be viral, though it can't be ruled out. If this isn't common place at home, then it's probably something else.

If he comes down with another High-Grade fever (which is very likely) to get him right down there so they can examine him, his joints, draw blood, and so on.

They were wonderful.. and exactly what I was hoping for. We might not have gotten the full answers today, but we are several steps further. They confirmed (as I already knew) that I wasn't jumping the gun, and was right to demand something be figured out. If we were able to wait 4 more weeks, it'll help us get answers. Yeah... i'm willing to wait! ****, 6 months of it, what's one more.

So there it is.

Brenda - As for the girl from church, I can now understand, especially if they asked the parents to keep a detailed journal. It makes sense, but as a parent, we want them to be pain free faster! They did say it was up to me, and if I couldn't hold off, then they'd get him in, but the extra info would help considerably in his end diagnosis. Anyhow, that's what happened today.. and I feel so much closer than before.

Off to get dinner going. I'm hungry.. Did I mention a big thanks for support to you all?? <grins>
Old 05-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #25  
Baby Steps

Ciarra: Don't worry about the food while you're going through the funeral and procedures for that. Just jump right back on when you feel able to deal with it

Candy: Did you get storms or just rain? (and call me Brenda ) We're getting rain with high wind advisories. ICK.

lilybelle: I think if patients don't want their parents or whoever brought them to leave the docs should respect that.

Falon: Glad that you now have the care you were expecting for him. And that's the way it should be no matter WHERE you take him. Hope everything goes well

Not sure why, but I'm tired again. I've started adding potassium supplements to my vitamins to see if that'd help. I just started this week so I'm sure it's too fast to expect results. But I want results NOW It's dreary and rainy and the wind is supposed to pick up and I've got to go shopping. My 3 older sisters and I have finally decided on a present for our mom...and I said I'd get it. Jeesh. When will I QUIT volunteering and let one of THEM do it? Oh well, I've got to go get some stuff from the GS council office anyway. That's after my MIT prayer meeting. So on the run
Old 05-11-2006, 08:34 AM   #26  
Baby Steps

Oh..forgot to mention....the other day DH and I were hanging up clothes and he grabbed a shirt and asked whose it was. I said mine. He's like "you can't fit into THIS." HMPH!! I said yes, I can! He's just used to shirts that hang on me. I was a little offended but I got over it. Figured he didn't mean it as an insult he was just surprised.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #27  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Brenda, I understand about the clothes situation. My husband was doing the laundry while I recuperated from surgery. He had to keep asking if the jeans were mine or my 13 yr. old daughters. It did feel kind of good. When I was in size 20, no one had to ask who those belonged to. LOL. On a bright note, I hit 150 on the scale this morning, you all will hear me screaming from Oklahoma when the scale gets to 149. Haven't see 140 anything in at least 13 yrs.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #28  

Morning Ladies:

I have a few girlfriends coming over for lunch, so I have to get the house straightened up. I wanted to check in though, and thank you all again for the great posts. They have been greatly appreciated, and extremely helpful.

LillyBelle - Congrats on the 150! I thought I heard some distant YaHoo's going on.. <grins>

Hope everyone has a lovely day.. I agree with you Brenda, where did everyone go?

Old 05-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 192/167.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Hi ladies! I haven't posted on the weekly chat before. I just started reading them them this week to get an idea about what they are all about. It's great that you all get to know each other in other ways besides just talking about what we all weigh this week!
When I read lillybelles post I just had to reply!
That is SO EXCIING! I know I go through that every time I hit the next 10 lb mark! This week I was 171 so I am so excited about hitting the 160's next week! ( I hope!) I too, haven't seen these numbers in years and years. I don't think I was in the 160's since I had kids (10 years ago!) Just went shopping yesterday and bought a size 12 pants! my current pants are 16! (always were big in the but and legs but needed it in the waist!) I also bought a shirt from the same dept. (size XL) but that's ok. I used to have to get pants in one dept and then run to the "womens" dept to look for a top to match because I was wearing a 2X! Ithink my boobs are actually getting smaller . Which is good because I was a 42D. I haven't felt the need to change bra;s yet though so I don't know. I hope to get back to a 36C some day! For now, Like I said it was great shopping in one dept!
So, I know how you feel and think it's awesome. These are REALLY HUGE accomplishments! Way to go!
Anyone on hear from the east coast? Seems like a lot of you are from the midwest and south.
I look forward to reading your posts each day and hope to contribute more myself now if you don't mind!
thanks
maggie
needtolose4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #30  

Don't mind at all, Maggie.. Join in anytime..

Falon,...Sounds like you got some good doctors out that way that cares..Keep us posted on how everything is going...

Lilybelle,... I'll be listening for the Yahoo's Yip's, and Hollars....Way To Go.....

Brenda,....Yesterday we got some thunder and lighting with the rain but nothing severe..
the sky looks kind of bad out here today.. Well did , right now the sun is shining. I think somebody is sending us some of their winter. The wind is chilly today.
I FINALLY weigh less than my husband!!!! He's one of those that never gain... You know the kind....Lucky Devils...
Candy