Old 03-20-2006, 11:15 PM   #1  
Determined

S/C/G: 285/235/140

Question Night time is the worst!

I don't know if anyone else expieriences this, but for me my worst cravings come at night. I can go all day long totally on track, and then when the night time hits a few hours after dinner I start craving carbs and feel really hungry. I'm still in induction so that might have something to do with it...I even ate a low carb snack and the cravings are still there. I refuse to give in though! Lol. Does anyone else have that problem?
daydreamer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:18 AM   #2  

I am not on Atkins anymore because I don't like meat, chicken, etc. but when I was doing Atkins I had the same problem. I would save carbs and eat one or two of the Atkins bars at night, very slowly and with a few cups of tea. That helped a lot. (I want to add that I lost a lot of weigh but I did not continue with Atkins because what I like to eat is grains, beans and vegs.)
jrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:49 AM   #3  
It's my perogative!

S/C/G: 249/247/180

Height: 5'6"

I cant say that I have that issue. My problem time is more like weekends when I am around others and the temptation is there.
ilovemike4alwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:17 AM   #4  
Baby Steps

Yup. I deal with that. It's one reason the peanuts attack me Maybe we need to drink water, water and more water and see if we can trick the attacks into submission?
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:19 AM   #5  
TemporaryFatChick

It is hard because you are active during the day and don't think too much about things, but when you relax at night, you have time to think about it - expecially if you're watching TV and there are a hundred pizza commercials . Do you have any hobbys or crafts that you can do in the evening to keep your mind\hands occupied? Do you like to read? Nothing like an interesting novel to block out other thoughts!

If you can continue to eat clean and tough it out, the cravings go away. I never would have believed that I wouldn't wanna eat sugar every day if I hadn't experienced it for myself, but it's true. The longer I'm on Atkins (without cheating) the less I think about bread, cookies, etc. and they were a part of my daily diet before.

Hang in there, you can do it!
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:10 AM   #6  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Yup, daydreamer.....I fought the craving monsters last night. ...and I won

a few tricks to help you in the evening (I am an evening snacker too) When I get about 4 days into induction I am always better to handle the evening cravings. It does get better...honest

~ save 1 or 2 carbs for some cheese or an egg to snack on. Keep it a very low carb item, like protein.

~ agree with yourself that you will not have your snack after a certain time. Mine is 8pm...if its after 8, its like a wall for me, and I know that I cannot have anything (even water....makes me pee at night) then I dont really want anything when I realize how late it is.

~ drink herbal teas in the evening....sometimes its just the act of moving the hands to the mouth that you need. There are some really nice teas out there...check them out.

~ when its really bad, hop in the tub with some bubbles, candles and a good book. This works every time for me.

~ the best trick that has worked for me, is moving supper to 6-630pm. I'll have a mid afternoon snack, and a later supper. That way when Im feeling snacky an hour after Ive eaten, I can say to myself, and believe it, that I dont really need anything.

I hope this helps
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:03 PM   #7  
Susan hockeyfan7

I'm not sure I understand this one. You said that a few hours after dinner you feel hungry -- what that tells me is that you are not eating enough. EAT!!

This is not a reduced calorie program. I've been doing a reduced calorie program instead of Atkins for a couple of months now and it's not working like I want it to and I'm going back to Atkins in a day or two.

If you feel hungry, eat protein. Don't limit yourself to breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eat any time you feel the urge. I like to snack on shrimp that I'd take out of the freezer and heat in the microwave and dip in melted butter that I'd mixed with garlic salt. Or I'd grill a frozen burger patty on the George Foreman -- I don't thaw them first. Or I'd roll up some ham and cheese slices.

You will lose weight -- trust me -- I lost 100 lbs doing just that. I ate constantly and didn't worry about what time of day it was. I'd eat breakfast foods for dinner and have a steak for breakfast.

EAT!!
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #8  
Going to ONEderland

I have a book called the "warrior diet". It is really an interesting concept. He says that humans are "hunters", (as opposed to scavengers). He says that "hunters" (comparing humans to animals) prefer to eat when they feel safe.

If you've ever watched cats when they are trying to eat and there is another cat nearby, often they will walk away, rather than eat just then.

So his idea is that it is natural for humans to eat their big meal at night in the comfort of their homes, when they feel relaxed and comfortable and to eat less during the day.

His diet is all based on that, eating very little during the day and eating huge meals at night. He has it laid out a certain way, I think he has you eat your protein foods first, carbs only at the end of the meal, something like that. His idea is that you stay sharp and ready for action during your "hunter" times, while working etc. You don't get the afternoon sluggishness that many people get. He says you can lose weight that way.

I was attracted to the idea because I am one of those people who don't get hungry until later in the day, and feel sharper before eating. But I never did really try the diet with any consistency so I don't know if it works or not.

But it might explain why some of us have our worst cravings at night. It's natural?
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #9  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I totally agree that if you're hungry you should eat. But, for me the evening food issues are not about hunger. They are about years of snacking at night, and my mouth being hungry, not my stomach.

Sherry, thats an interesting thought.....it would explain maybe why we like to eat in the evening.

I just wanted to add, that my last meal of the day is always a very big meal....to help me get thru the evenings.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #10  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryA View Post
I have a book called the "warrior diet". It is really an interesting concept. He says that humans are "hunters", (as opposed to scavengers). He says that "hunters" (comparing humans to animals) prefer to eat when they feel safe.

If you've ever watched cats when they are trying to eat and there is another cat nearby, often they will walk away, rather than eat just then.

So his idea is that it is natural for humans to eat their big meal at night in the comfort of their homes, when they feel relaxed and comfortable and to eat less during the day.

His diet is all based on that, eating very little during the day and eating huge meals at night. He has it laid out a certain way, I think he has you eat your protein foods first, carbs only at the end of the meal, something like that. His idea is that you stay sharp and ready for action during your "hunter" times, while working etc. You don't get the afternoon sluggishness that many people get. He says you can lose weight that way.

I was attracted to the idea because I am one of those people who don't get hungry until later in the day, and feel sharper before eating. But I never did really try the diet with any consistency so I don't know if it works or not.

But it might explain why some of us have our worst cravings at night. It's natural?
I am interested in others' thoughts on the Warrior WOE.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #11  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

I also always have the urge to snack in the evening even if I have a big meal. I know I'm not hungry. I think I'm just so used to it its hard to stop. I also think it helps relax me, and it's much worse when I'm Bored.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnyc View Post
I am not on Atkins anymore because I don't like meat, chicken, etc. but when I was doing Atkins I had the same problem. I would save carbs and eat one or two of the Atkins bars at night, very slowly and with a few cups of tea. That helped a lot. (I want to add that I lost a lot of weigh but I did not continue with Atkins because what I like to eat is grains, beans and vegs.)

Grains, beans & veggies aren't allowed on Atkins??
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #13  
where did she go?

S/C/G: S267/C253/G150

Height: 5'5

Veggies are allowed anytime (minus the starchy ones like peas, carrots, corn, potatoes etc...)

You can eat a lot of other veggies (2 to 3 cups a day) though such as:
sorel, pepper, cucumber, radicchio, chicory, escarole, arugula, daikon, chiver, jicama, lettuce, celery, fennel, celery roots
artichoke hearts
rhrubarb
eggplant
bean sprouts
bamboo shoots
spinach
broccoli
chard
onion
zucchini
water chestnuts
cauliflower
cabbage
tomato
brussels
turnips
summer squash

to name just a few!!

Beans are allowed on the maintenance phase. Although I allow myself a few chic peas now and again on salad. They don't seem to stall me but thats not to say it does that for everyone.
want2Bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #14  
where did she go?

S/C/G: S267/C253/G150

Height: 5'5

I find cravings are terrible at night for the following reasons for me:

1 - I haven't consumed enough fat during the day
2 - I haven't consumed enough fiber during the day
3 - I didn't exercise
4 - I did not consume enough food in the early part of the day (before lunch)

want2Bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #15  

my salvation for those evening hours watching all the food commercials is eating 0 carb jello. It has gotten me through some rough times. As with some previous comments you have so many options, and really never have to go hungry.
00716 is offline   Reply With Quote