Old 02-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #1  

Angry Hit a Stall While in Induction Phase

Goodmorning...
I am new to this part of the forum, but not new to Atkins. I have been on it before, several years ago, and had great success.. Needless to say, I gained all my weight back and then some, and my husband and I came to the conclusion that we can't eat like everyone else any more. So long story short, we are still in the induction phase. I was am staying on it a bit longer before adding back any carbs.

Well, here is my problem. About a week and a half ago, I hit a stall during induction. I don't understand why. I have kept my carbs under 20 and most days not over 15. I drink plenty of water.. in fact.. that's all I drink. I test myself every morning with the Ketone strips, and I am in ketosis.. So why haven't I shed a pound?

I haven't really been working out, though I will be starting that phase of my change tonight at the rec center gym we just joined, and so building muscle at this point isn't an issue. I am just stuck. I don't know what the deal is.. and I was really surprised that I am in ketosis this whole time.

Yesterday I started to cut dairy out to see if that's a problem. Seeing if I can jump start myself into loosing again. I am just at a loss...

HELP!!! Anyone else have this happen???

Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Sounds like your body has gotten used to what you have been doing.

How long have you been on induction?
Are you getting in enough calories?

Time to shake things up a bit I think.

For me when Im slowing down in induction, I have to start cutting the fats. Others have to add more fats, because they werent getting enough.

Exercise will certainly help things move along.

Sounds like just a little bump, that a few changes will be enough to rattle your system a bit, back into "loss" mode.

Robin
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #3  
Baby Steps

With being on induction I take it you're not eating nuts or things like that. Those have been known to stall people. It's possible you're just in a typical stall and the whoosh fairy will show up. Just keep going the direction you're going!! Don't give up or get discouraged!!!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #4  

Thank you both for replying. No, no nuts.. I am very strict with the induction foods. I have been in the induction phase for 3 weeks now. It was the last week that I have'nt lost anything. The only thing that bugs me is being in LARGE ketosis, and still not loosing. Has this ever happened to you all??

My typical day looks like this:

Morning: Atkin's Morning Start bar or Shake (I also might alternate having bacon and eggs if I feel like it with a bit of cheese) 2 C of black coffee.
Lunch:BLT salad w/ homemade ranch dressing (1 -2 Tbs) or Tuna, turkey burger, hamburger, etc.
Snack: Either celery w/ cream cheese, pork rinds, salami slices, etc.
Dinner: Meat dish, salad, side vegetable that's in the induction
Desert: If I feel like it - sugar free jello w/ 1 T of sugar free cool whip

Lots of water (sometimes iced tea with lemon)

I never feel hungry, and I don't feel any effects from the caffine in the coffee, or iced tea (when I have it)

So I will begin excersising 3-4 times a week, and see if that helps as well. I'm certainly not giving up, as I know now this is a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I just couldn't figure out why a stall in induction and in ketosis is happening. Seems abnormal. LOL I also did think about the calories being to low and maybe an issue as well. Guess i'm going to have to play it by ear untill I start losing again.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:00 AM   #5  
Baby Steps

Yup. Tweak things around. And maybe the caffeine is stalling you? Or the breakfast bars.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:32 AM   #6  
TemporaryFatChick

Do you have the book and have you read it front to back 2 or more times? In my book, there are no shakes or processed foods on induction. Induction consists of fresh meats, eggs, and limited veggies and cheese.

Do you weigh an measure food for accurate counts?

Do you use Fitday to double check that you are not eating more carbs than you think you are?

Are you 100% honest with yourself about what you are eating?

Are you using “off” items that might contain sugar such as: toothpaste, cough drops, mouth wash, etc…?

Did you measure yourself when you started? Have you lost inches anywhere?

Do you know what a “real” portion size is? Most people are waaaay off on this! Especially with items such as nuts and cheese.

Are you sure you are in ketosis? Did your strips turn color? These can be inaccurate as too much protein can also change the color. Do you have the bad breath and "stinky" urine of ketosis?

Are you taking any medications?

Are you taking your vitamins? Or supplements?

Have you checked to see if you have a yeast problem? (This is more than a female yeast infection…it is a body wide and affects men too...it is called Candidas)

Have you had your thyroid tested? TSH is NOT enough! You want to have TSH, T3, T4, FT3, and FT4 tested.

Have you had a physical to rule out any “outside” problems?

Are you on any medications? What about birth control?

ARE you ABSOLUTELY sure that you are not eating ANYTHING you are not supposed to? One little slice of bread…a bite of cookie, a lick of frosting, one M&M??????

Do you use too much artificial sweetener?

Do you know if you are sensitive to sodium/salt? Could you be retaining water at all?

Are you close to your period/TOM?

Have you removed all food items containing nitrates?

Are you in menopause or peri?

Are you depressed or unusually stressed?

Do you get enough sleep?

Have you kept a diary or log of EVERY single thing you have eaten?

Have you tried giving up dairy?

Have you cut out nuts? Do you HONESTLY know what a portion of nuts looks like?

Have you been over eating meat? A 3 oz portion of meat is roughly the size of a deck of cards.

Have you tried lowering your calories?

Have you tried lowering your fat intake?

How many times have you dieted in your life? In the last few years? Some people believe your metabolism gets altered by this.

Are you overeating? Is it possible that you are eating until you feel stuffed rather than stopping when you are no longer hungry?

HAVE YOU BEEN COMPLETELY HONEST WITH YOURSELF???????

Last edited by Tennessee; 02-16-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:47 AM   #7  
Going to ONEderland

Well I personally would get rid of the morning start bars. Or the atkins shakes maybe.

But then I would probably check the carb counts first and decide if I thought it was really necessary.

For me, I tend to avoid anything with any kind of grains to it. If I do have them, like last night I had a low carb wrap, then I expect the next day to see a rise in the scale and I'm never disappointed in that. Breads, even whole grain ones and 'low carb' or "reduced carb" will hold onto extra water and will mask your weight loss. Do it every day or so and you won't see much change on the scale.

So for me grains of any kind even the low carb kind are very seldom things.

Beyond that? If you are in ketosis, I would just be patient. You are burning fat, and your body is just resistant at this point. I have days like that. Our bodies don't want to let lose of the fat and we just have to outwait them sometimes. I will drop weight really consistently and then suddenly I think I'm through, no movement of the scale (except for up) for days and days. Then the scale starts moving again and it will move for days and days like a half pound a day and then it stops again. It is part of how this works once you've done it before and are just starting back. It never works the way it did in the beginning the first time. But it does continue to work. Just be patient and have faith that it is happening.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:17 PM   #8  

Default Excellent Questions!!

Do you have the book and have you read it front to back 2 or more times? In my book, there are no shakes or processed foods on induction. Induction consists of fresh meats, eggs, and limited veggies and cheese.

I have'nt re-read the book as of recent, but I read it a few times a few years ago. The Atkin's Advantage shake can *says* This product is appropriate for Induction (phase 1) as do the bars. The induction list also says no more than 4 oz of cheese. I'll get the book and read it again. I gave my copy away...

Do you weigh an measure food for accurate counts?

This I do not do. I use a a desert plate however, and it has cut my portion sizes by half. I also eyeball it to measure. I'll look up the correct portion sizes, and start to do this however..

Do you use Fitday to double check that you are not eating more carbs than you think you are?

Nope.

Are you 100% honest with yourself and what you are eating?

Absolutely. I haven't cheated what so ever.

Are you using “off” items that might contain sugar such as: toothpaste, cough drops, mouth wash, etc…?

Natural sugar-free toothpaste is what I use.

Did you measure yourself when you started? Have you lost inches anywhere?

No I didn't but I know I am loosing inches.

Do you know what a “real” portion size is? Most people are waaaay off on this! Especially with items such as nuts and cheese.

No nuts what so ever. When I would have cheese it would be very little. 2 or 3 1 inch cubes, or 1 T of cream cheese.

Are you sure you are in ketosis? Did your strips turn color? These can be inaccurate as too much protein can also change the color. Do you have the bad breath and "stinky" urine of ketosis?

Oh they turn color alright. Got the breath and pee pee too!

Are you taking any medications?

Nope

Are you taking your vitamins? Or supplements?

Nope. Should be though.. I know. That will be on this weekends list.

Have you checked to see if you have a yeast problem? (This is more than a female yeast infection…it is a body wide and affects men too...it is called Candidas)

Haven't been tested currently, but was a while back for another reason.

Have you had your thyroid tested? TSH is NOT enough! You want to have TSH, T3, T4, FT3, and FT4 tested. Nonstickpam is the resident expert here!

Yes, had them all tested 4 years ago. I had to go through the tests of all kinds for something else...

Have you had a physical to rule out any “outside” problems?

Not recently.

Are you on birth control?

No.

ARE you ABSOLUTELY sure that you are not eating ANYTHING you are not supposed to? One little slice of bread…a bite of cookie, a lick of frosting, one M&M??????

Absolutely not! I am very strict with myself. I know that I can't faulter at all.

Do you use too much artificial sweeteners?

The only artificial sweetner I get is in the shake, or sugar free jello. Otherwise, I hate the stuff.

Do you know if you are sensitive to sodium/salt? Could you be retaining water at all?

Since I pee a lot, I have never thought this to be an issue.

Are you close to your period/TOM?

Not very close. About 2 weeks away.

Have you removed all food items containing nitrates?

For the most part. I try and avoid the suff, but I have had salami once in 3 weeks, and 2 Nathan's hot dogs in 3 weeks.

Are you in menopause or peri?

I'm 31, so I could always be peri. My Omi (grandmother) completed her full menopausal stages by the time she was 38. Never know...

Are you depressed or unusually stressed? How much sleep do you get?

I sleep from 9pm to 6:30am so pretty good. No depression, or unusual stress.

Have you kept a diary or log of EVERY single thing you have eaten?

No. i'm not very disiplined in that nature, but could always work on it.

Have you tried giving up all dairy?

I cut it out as of yesterday, but the only thing I have had is the shake which contains milk protien blend. But I haven't had any cheese, and cut the cream out of my coffee (which was only a tsp. per cup / having 2 cups. Yes, I actually measured that out. )

Have you cut out nuts? Do you HONESTLY know what a portion of nuts looks like?

Don't eat nuts at all. I am really trying to keep the carbs very low, and nuts are just to much in my book.

Have you been over eating meat? A 3 oz portion of meat is roughly the size of a deck of cards.

Even though I haven't been weighing the food, that is about the portion size that I have. Like I said, I use a desert plate (more than half the size less than a regular plate) and it give me a great illusion to work with. I usually don't even finish what I have on the plate.

Have you tried lowering your calories?

No becuase I just don't see a huge excess in calories. In fact, I have wondered if I am not taking in enough. I need to start counting to see what i'm currently intaking.

Have you tried lowering your fat intake?

No.

How many times have you dieted in your life? In the last few years? Some people believe your metabolism gets altered by this.

I believe this to be possible as well. In the last 5 years, I have only dieted twice. The first time (5 years back) was Atkin's and I lost over 60 pounds ( and my husband lost nearly 100). Gained it all back of course when I gave into my temptations.. This is why I am very strict this go around. This last year, I tried SB because a girlfriend of mine had great success.. I, however, did not. And now Atkin's again because I know from the past that it works for me.

Are you "overeating"???? Is it possible that you are eating until you feel "stuffed full" and NOT until you are no longer hungry?

No. I conscienciously stop myself before feeling stuffed... only satisfied. That's why I don't finish everything every time.

HAVE YOU BEEN COMPLETELY HONEST WITH YOURSELF???????

Absolutely.. that is why i'm not sure what's going on.
Thanks for these great questions. They have been most helpful and thought provoking.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:25 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryA
Well I personally would get rid of the morning start bars. Or the atkins shakes maybe.

But then I would probably check the carb counts first and decide if I thought it was really necessary.
Thanks Sherry. I was thinking about it as well, even though the shake is 2 carbs (and it really keeps me full) the bar is as well..

Actually, here's the thing concerning the shakes.. I stalled before I even I bought or tried them for the first time. I just wanted something different on occation from the eggs. It get's so darn boring.

I will be patient, start measuring my food, get on vitamins, and try some thing to get going again. Thank you all for the great ideas, and possible reasons. It's good to know it's not just me.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:44 PM   #10  
Susan hockeyfan7

If you are tired of eggs for breakfast, then don't eat eggs. One of my favorite breakfasts is to buy either the chunks of beef for stew or the strips of beef for stir fry that your grocery sells already cut up. I cook those on my George Foreman and then sometimes I melt cheese on them.

Another one of my favorites is to take a lettuce leaf, spread it with real mayo, add 4 strips of bacon and a couple of slices of tomato and have a BLT.

If you are being strict and still stalled out, then my suggestion would be to do the 3 day fat fast outlined in the book. I usually lose 8 lbs in the 3 days and then it gets me going again.

Also, make sure you are getting enough calories. I found I was eating breakfast and then I'd be full and it would be close to bedtime before I wanted to eat again. I was only getting about 500 calories a day and not losing.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #11  

Thanks! Those sound like a nice alternative. Actually a BLT salad is my favorite lunch. Love it! I read about the fat fast yesterday, and I thought I would try it if cutting out the dairy didn't help. Otherwise, that's the next option.

And might I say, your weight tracker is VERY inspiring! Congrats! Did you lose all of it on Atkin's?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #12  
Susan hockeyfan7

Hi Falon! I lost almost all of it on Atkins. I was having digestive problems with Atkins after about 3 years and not even the folks at the Atkins company could figure it out -- I was getting the exact opposite of constipation and really severe. So I gave it up and went to Weight Watchers. I lost about 10 lbs in 8 months and that wasn't cutting it for me. So I tried South Beach. I lost about another 10 lbs and then was diagnosed with Celiac disease about a year ago. I had to give up anything with wheat, barley, oats or rye in it -- so Atkins made sense to me. I can't eat bread or other carbs anyway, so I don't miss them.

Now that my digestive system is back to normal from my disease, I don't have the problems with Atkins any more. I was pretty excited after the first week to get a little constipation! I know that sounds weird, but . . .
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:56 PM   #13  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

TENN!!! I LOOOVE your checklist, I think all too often I'm not checking all of those things, can I copy that to my blog and my fridge and my brain??!! AWESOME!

Falon,
If you are losing inches then that is just as awesome as losing weight, if not better!! A true stall is when you don't lose WEIGHT or INCHES for a very long time. I agree with everyone else, the processed foods and the bars should definitely be pitched, they have so much hidden crap that they often stall a lot of people and actually cause me to gain when I eat them. IMO the processed food (like the jello) should be a treat, once weekly or monthly even. You're losing inches though, so I definitely don't think you're at a stall...Definitely grab that book and read it again. Your scale will reflect all your hard work in no time!!
Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:32 PM   #14  
Baby Steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon
No I didn't but I know I am loosing inches.

I cut everything out because THIS is the MOST IMPORTANT piece of information.
One word of advice these lovely ladies have reminded me and I'll pass it on to you:

THROW OUT YOUR SCALE!!! Go by how you feel, how your clothes feel, and if you're losing inches. THAT is the main thing. So keep up the great work and forget about "stalls"!!!!!