Old 01-16-2006, 12:06 AM   #1  
Going to ONEderland

Default Any one here do Flylady?

I started some time back with Flylady. She's the one who tells you baby steps on how to get your house clean and organized. FLY means "finally loving yourself". I like that. She has little sayings like "you can do anything for 15 minutes", and has you set a timer and just get started knowing that you can stop with the timer goes off.

She wrote a book about weight loss. Not so much about dieting as about the mental state we get in when we use food for comfort. The book is called "Body Clutter". (Nice word instead of "fat"). No I'm not advertising for her, I just wondered if anyone here had read it.

Some of her concepts, I just love. She says that a lot of us are perfectionists, and that we don't start something if we can't do it perfectly. And since we are not perfect, perfectionists wind up constantly frustrating themselves, or giving up.

I don't know if I got this idea from her or just from thinking about the things she wrote, but along the line of "you can do anything for 15 minutes," I thought "anyone can lose 3 pounds". For those of us with a lot of weight to lose 3 pounds sounds like nothing. But 100 pounds, or more sounds impossible.

She has sayings like "don't try to do everything at once, your house didn't get to be a mess overnight and it won't be clean overnight". Isn't that true of our bodies too? We didn't get fat over night. We aren't going to be able to lose it in one day. So we have to seek and find a balance, a place where we can live and make progress a little at a time. And we have to be willing to have some faith, to trust in the process.

I think that is why I failed before. I wanted it all NOW, and I didn't trust that the process consistently applied would take me where I wanted to go. I was convinced that I couldn't be "consistent". Maybe because I was being too perfectionistic for brief spurts and then burning out.

This time I know it will take a long time and I'm willing to let go of my perfectionism and trust in the process.

Anyone else have any thoughts or has anyone read this book?
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:52 AM   #2  

Default Would love more info on body clutter

Hi, This sounds really interesting so I also would love to hear from anyone who has read this book. I looked at amazon but it was not listed.Thanks
Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:46 AM   #3  
Aussie Chick

S/C/G: 99/86/65

go to flylady.net. You can purchase the book online from the site.

Kathy
kathyhegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

I've joined flylady but had to quit due to other issues going on in my life. Couldn't keep up with the commitment (yes, that's why my house is STILL a mess). lol. She's got some VERY good advice on how to clean the house. I liked her advice on only cleaning for 15 minutes. But I also liked the advice of start in ONE corner and work your way around the room rather than going willy nilly all over and accomplishing not much. Not heard she wrote a book though.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #5  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Im not a flylady fan I got thru the part where Im suppose to clean my sink, keep a towel there to keep it dry etc etc etc....and thought, thats just not possible in this house I never read any more...sorry I cant be more help.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:07 PM   #6  

I am a Flylady Fan. Love the books, the website and the results.

Yup. Those babysteps are the way to go for me. If it isn't your way, thats just fine. But 15 minutes at a time + 5 minute fly-bys works for me.

So does getting rid of clutter. So do checklists, reminders and getting dressed to shoes. Night and morning routines, yep...those work much better than not having them too. While I certainly still don't have a spotless house, its one heck of alot more clean, attractive and organized than it was. And takes about a third of the time it used to. My sister doesn't get it at all....but then she is born organized.

Right now I am blending the Body Clutter menu mailer with the Curves challenge. Seems as though it will work. I was lucky enough to meet Marla on the Flylady cruise a year and a half ago. She has since lost about 55 pounds. I hope to have at least that much off in the next six months. I'd like 80 off by 15 October 2006.
Bunti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #7  
~Determined~

S/C/G: 238/238/153

Height: 5'7"

I adore flylady. I had a hard time starting because I couldn't stop after fifteen minutes and got quite obsessed then about 2 months ago I realized that it is silly to be so obsessive about how clean my house is and sit here and eat and not be so concerned about my body. I read her books and subscribe to the emails and then one day it clicked and now it takes no time at all to pick up and my house stays clean and now I am taking her principles and applying it to my exercise and diet. I tell everyone I know about fly lady. Love her!
MissyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:36 AM   #8  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I did fly lady several years back and did great house was clean exercise was a daily thing and weight was falling off then chaos hit. DD1 BF moved in, with no regard to the house either one of them and I would wake up to fine the house a mess and they would not get up for hours. I was constantly picking up. and then my self esteem plummetted when i had such financial issues I was not sleeping then I went back to work and did not see a 40 hour work except 10 times in the last 3.5 years. BF DD and the others still managed to lose the house and myself with it. I love the principals and they honesty you need to have and the clean house. (My counters were polished.) Right now I am trying to control my house and find my self before I go full bore into it all. The book sounds good though I will have to look for it.
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 01:48 AM   #9  

Hi fellow flybaby! I've been flying for about 3 years now..sometimes its more like crawling, but I love the flylady and the system. The house is never more than 15 minutes from clean , she was a Godsend . I haven't read the body clutter book-but I will.
canne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:10 PM   #10  

I Love FlyLady. I have used her system off and on to my disadvantage. My boyfriend is planning to by bodyclutter for me because he believes in FlyLady and that is saying alot because he is a total a. hole. lol
tiajuanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:13 AM   #11  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I cleaned my sink all day yesterday clean in the morning and then repeaded is multiple times thgought the day. clean now and clean counters except the hot spot. Baby steps!!!! Did laundry and actually put it away!! atleast the loads I washed yesterday but there is still some in the dryer and I am headding to work so that will not be done
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote