Old 11-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #1  
TemporaryFatChick

Default 3 O'clock droop

When I went on Atkins I thought it would keep my blood sugar from doing the spike\drop thing, and that the droop would disappear. It hasn't. Every day about 3 O'clock my energy drops, I get sleepy and feel like I could take a nap. Does that happen to you to? Any sure-fire ways to battle the droop that don't include raiding the candy bowl or drinking a coke?

Thanks!
Tenn
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #2  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

Do you have a doctor that could give some good advice?? My nursely instincts say to find a natural sugar such as a low carb fruit, and have it as a noon snack. But I'm not diabetic so I don't know. My mom is diabetic, she eats an avacado when her sugar spikes down like that...maybe someone else can help who goes through this
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

have your snack at that time with some water or green tea or coffee. It will go away, it takes some longer than others, it usually takes me about 3 weeks for everything to switch around....then I have more energy than I know what to do with. Keep it low carb until you add more carbs in.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:40 PM   #4  
TemporaryFatChick

I should explain a little better -
I noticed that when I ate lunch (pasta salad, baked potato, sandwich, fruit, etc.) a few hours later I drooped, and I raided the candy bowl or grabbed a coke to get over the hump. It all made sence me when I read about the LC lifestyle and the explaination of what happens when you eat a lot of carbs. I thought when I made the switch and wasn't loading up on carbs for lunch, the droop would go away. I'm glad that it might just be one of those things that time will take care of. I kept wondering if I should eat a piece of cheese or something, but then thought it would be substituting one thing for another and reinforcing the droop cycle.

I was thinking on the way home that it could be that I'm only drinking 1/3 of the coffee I used to drink to. At any rate, I'll eat some cheese and hope it goes away

Thanks guys!
Tenn
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:51 AM   #5  
Baby Steps

Tenn: Definitely eat a piece of cheese. And water. And if you're not drinking as much caffeine you're not only doing the carb-addiction withdrawal but you're throwing in some caffeine withdrawal. Keep up the great work and you WILL improve.
Note: Don't forget the vitamins!!!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 03:06 PM   #6  

Location: Originally from Los Angeles but have lived in Northern England for over 6 years with my French husband!

It will definately pass! I used to have the same exactly at 3pm everyday, I would start yawning uncontrollibly and would feel so drowsy, but now just 2 1/2 weeks into my low carb eating I feel fine straight through the day, actually I have so much more energy I never feel like going to bed!!!
sexyshoelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 156/156/128

Height: 5'3"

I second the vitamins!!!!
aovercast is offline   Reply With Quote