Old 07-03-2005, 05:11 PM   #1  

Question changes in hair/skin/nails?

Hi all,

I do not do atkins as a diet, but I have upped my protein intake in the last 2 months or so. I was wondering has anyone noticed any changes in the condition, color, texture of their hair/ skin/ nails (better or worse)as a result of increasing protein in their diets. Just curious, TIA.
Tonkasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:04 PM   #2  

I was just thinking about this! my nail tips are really white for the first time ever my hair is thick and healthy although that could be left over from pregnancy. My skin however looks bad but that too could be post-partum.
mom2nicolenmatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #3  

Funny, that's why I asked. I am 5 mos. pp, and my hair is still shedding, but looks like it is growing in lighter, like my origianl blonde-(It had darkened in the past few yrs. and I didn't eat much protein at all.) My nails are definitely stronger, also. Skin is still oily, but it is JULY
Tonkasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:58 PM   #4  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Kimberlee:

I'm a returnee (as of today!), but saw you were from Baltimore County and just HAD to reply. We relocated to Tucson 5 years ago from Baltimore -- and miss is dearly!

Anyway, on my previous run with Atkins, I found that my nails and hair began to grow in much stronger and more elastic. I really don't know if the increased protein was as much responsible as were the daily vitamins (including calcium, fish oil, b-complexes, etc.). Your hair changing color is definitely more PP related than diet. Mine got darker and curlier, but my sister's got lighter!

Paula
Spedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

My nails are definately stronger. Not sure about hair or skin. I'm definately not post partum. LOL
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:24 AM   #6  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

My hair grows really thick and curly when Im eating atkins. My nails grow faster, but I dont know about stronger, because I always keep them trimmed really short.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:36 AM   #7  

well seeing how hair and nails are made up of protein then it would make sense that a diet high in protein will increase the health of them.
mom2nicolenmatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #8  
Back fat Be Gone!

Default Better

I follow more of the zone diet, well really no diet, I just cut out the bad carbs and still eat the good ones, like fruit. But I always used to try to follow super low fat diets and my hair has always been dry and brittle. Since starting this eating change I barely even had any split ends at my last hair appointment, and I haven't gotten even one blemish on my face at all.
sugarholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:20 PM   #9  
Baby Steps

Yup, the blemishes, skin condition and nail condition has improved GREATLY since starting this WOE. I can tell when I'm NOT eating healthy. That's when the zits come out and I feel all dry and itchy. Not PP here either
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote