3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   How to motivate your man??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/50653-how-motivate-your-man.html)

CPgirl 12-21-2004 04:22 PM

How to motivate your man???

Hi ladies!

So, I'm looking for ideas to help me motivate my husband. He and I both lost a bunch of weight on our first round of Atkins a few years ago. The good news is I've kept it all off (although still more to go), but the bad news is that he didn't. The last year or so, he's been completely off plan -- I'm talking cookies almost every day at lunch, etc. Needless to say, he's gained it all back. I'm actually more worried about his health than mine (he has a history of heart disease in his family). We recently moved to a new city and both changed jobs, which caused a lot of stress, and apparently he's coped with cookies.

So, I think he's ready (or close to ready) to have a serious New Year's resolution. So, how do I motivate him without being excessively naggy? We had an argument recently where he said I was nagging ( I was trying to get him to go workout with me, he "didn't feel like it.") I said I'd rather be a nag than a widow.

Anyway, I'm already feeding us healthy foods at home, and setting an example by regularly exercising myself ( or trying to). The one thing I know about him is that he won't do anything he doesn't want to...so...

How do I make him want to get on plan on stay on plan...and exercise? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Leenie 12-21-2004 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPgirl
I said I'd rather be a nag than a widow.

Hi CPgirl,

I think you answered your own question. If you go into 3FC's Library here you'll see tons of articles on how much damage being over weight can cause. I don't want to get you in trouble but this is what I would do. I would print the articles out and stick one in his lunch box every day, or putting them on his plate b/4 dinner. I know thats seems very harsh but its obvous you really love him or you wouldn't care. Your husband is one lucky man to have you !!!!!

HUGS

lady_adnerb 12-21-2004 08:39 PM

CPGirl, unfortunately the saying of "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink " is kind of what this reminds me of. He KNOWS that he needs to lose weight but for some reason is unwilling to commit to it. I hope you get him onto your side and wish you all the luck!!

jdoggmartin 12-22-2004 12:15 AM

CPGirl: I think the best thing to do is just lead by example. Men seem to not like people telling them what to do. They hate nagging. They like things to be their own idea. So, if you're eating healthy and exercising, hopefully it will eventually catch on with your DH. After awhile, he'll notice all the positive changes in you and want the same things (hopefully). I hope it goes well! :)

CPgirl 12-22-2004 11:54 AM

Thanks for the encouragement ladies! I'll let you know how it goes. The good news is he went this morning to get his cholesterol tested and other lab work done, like lipid profile, blood sugar, etc., and I made him an appointment with a preventive cardiologist after the first of the year. He seems to be open to those things (or at least willing to go), so I think he's starting to come around. Thanks!

StarPrincess 12-27-2004 12:21 PM

There's really only so much you can do. And I'm in the same boat as you. Keep taking care of yourself and cooking that good food for you both. As far as exercise goes, I've found with my own DH that I can 'trick' him into it. I can't get him to go to the gym or do pilates with me, but I can get him to go skating, play basketball, or go crabbing with me. Movement counts! ;)