Old 11-30-2004, 08:06 PM   #1  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default recipes?

anyone know a good curry recipe i really miss my vindaloo's and well i was wondering if anyone knows of somehing to help me out before i blow it all on a take away
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:11 AM   #2  
Baby Steps

Sorry, I'm not familiar with curry so have no suggestions. Did you check the recipe thread? It might somewhere be listed. Maybe could do a "search" and see what pops up. I'm sure someone around here will be able to help
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 09:48 AM   #3  
Becomming a Monster

curry is an indian dish. indian as in the country not native that is. its spicey some are very very hot like mexican stuff.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:04 AM   #4  
Movin' and Losin'

Hmmm... it seems like I've seen a low-carb recipe for curry somewhere. Let me do some digging and see what I can find.
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 11:12 AM   #5  
Movin' and Losin'

Here's a curry recipe from the Atkins site. There were others on the site. Go to www.Atkins.com and click on "Food & Recipes" and do a curry search.

Chicken Curry

3 tablespoons butter
2 pounds chicken breast fillets, cut into 1 inch strips
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes (optional)
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
convert to metric

directions
1. Heat butter in a heavy casserole over medium-high heat until foam from butter subsides. Add chicken strips and cook in batches until browned, 5 minutes per batch. Add cumin, coriander, ginger, red-pepper flakes (if using) and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Slowly add heavy cream and simmer (do not let mixture come to a boil) until heated through, 3 minutes.
3. Transfer chicken and sauce to a serving plate. Garnish with cilantro.

This makes 4 servings with 1.5 grams of carbs each.
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 11:22 AM   #6  

Default coconut milk vs yogurt

Hey fellow curry lover-
a few years back i made a curry that sub'd yogurt for coconut milk. it turned out ok but i'm not sure i could find the receipe again. i think you could get good results just by subbing yogurt for coconut milk in any curry you might have though.
i found this receipe on the internet just by typing 'making curry with yogurt' http://fruitpages.recipezaar.com/35388
this sounds too complicated if you just want to whip up a curry (i'm the first to admit that i use prepared curry paste! it's so easy!). if you use yogurt be sure to 'temper' the yogurt first by adding some of the already heated whatever you're cooking (does that even make sence?) to raise the temp of the yogurt before adding it to the pot. this will reduce the odds of curdeling too.
you can get low-fat coconut milk in many stores here in the states too- but it would still have more fat than yogurt.

also- i make *****in curried lentils (full of yummy protien!)
saute some cut up veggies (potatos, carrots, red peppers- whatever you have on hand) in veg stock and a blob of red curry paste (or spray your pan with cooking spray instead of using stock). cook up a pot of red lentils (the kind that go all yellow and mushy when they're cooked). stir and mash the lentils a bit when they're done cooking, add your veggies and mix it all up. good with basmati (ok. i'll stop being snooty- good with any kind of rice) or heaped on toasted wheat bread. mmmm
i know that there's nothing like a good curry cooked up in an indian restaurant (or a big yummy bowl of sag paneer dripping with palm oil!) but i hope this helps!

ps- i'm a dope and didn't see that this was an atkins thread before i typed all this up. i know zero about atkins but i'm sure anything i just mentioned above won't be helpfull.
dang.
sorry.

Last edited by punkrockgrryl; 12-01-2004 at 11:25 AM.
punkrockgrryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 12:24 PM   #7  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Here is a recipe I use all the time! It gives me that curry fix Im looking for. Recently Ive found a curry marinade that Im using alot for my chicken.

Chicken Curry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 tablespoons butter
2 pounds chicken breast fillets, cut into 1 inch strips
2 teaspoon curry powder (more or less to your taste)
1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes (optional)
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped (I use 6-8 cloves)
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup heavy cream (I use sour cream instead, it adds more flavour)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

1. Heat butter in a heavy casserole over medium-high heat until foam from butter subsides. Add chicken strips and cook in batches until browned, 5 minutes per batch. Add cumin, coriander, ginger, red-pepper flakes (if using) and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Slowly add heavy cream and simmer (do not let mixture come to a boil) until heated through, 3 minutes.
3. Transfer chicken and sauce to a serving plate. Garnish with cilantro.

I also do up curried meatballs. These are good to toss in the freezer so you have them when you have a craving. If you want the recipe I'll post.

Robin
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 12:25 PM   #8  
Becomming a Monster

thanking you all hey punkrockgrryl i am a curry lover and i love them hot hot hot the kind of toilet paper in the fridge curry mmmmmmm