Old 06-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #16  
Head Princess

Generally, there's a lot of iron in meat. Is fitday counting that?
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:53 AM   #17  

Grrrrrrrrr.............it didn't count the beef I had yesterday........I am off to investigate!
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:17 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarPrincess
funeral potatoes?
Okay, being a mortician I gotta ask since I have a visual of pounds and pounds of potatos in a casket or thrown into the retort to cremate!

What are they?
morti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 12:38 PM   #19  
Head Princess

In the culture that I grew up in, the food one brings to a funeral is vastly important and should, ideally, be as decadant as possible. Funeral potatoes were always my favorite and I've missed them desperately. I posted the recipe over in the recipe section under side dishes.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:56 PM   #20  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Mmmm, Star, those look wonderful. My family does this casserole just about every time we get together. Might have to try it with Cauliflower....

Jane, about the Iron... there is also iron in a lot of vegetables. Especially if you're eating Spinach or the dark leafy stuff.

Today I am hungry. And, need food. Now. And, can't get any food. Having the breakfast of champions - Diet Coke - and the kind with caffeine. Need to find someone who will lend me $100 so I can go to Trader Joes to get my dd some Rice milk and other stuff. I have exhausted the pantry for her. Ain't life grand???

Dh started working today. The upside is that he will be working lots of overtime (I think). The downside is that now we have to find full-time daycare for our dd. I loathe having to put her in daycare at all... it just goes against everything I wanted for her. But, I have no choice right now.

I am back down to 272 this morning. That is back down to my original weight loss (13 pounds) from when I did induction back in September. I can't believe it has been that long ago. Then, found out I needed surgery, then the surgeon disappeared, then I had to find a new one.... what an ordeal. I am so glad my life is going to calm down soon. This has been easily the hardest year of my life.

Today is my grandpa's 90th birthday. We are having a HUGE family party for him on Saturday. I wouldn't go to a family gathering if it weren't for it being in his honor... but we'll go. Because we love him and he really likes Joey in spite of everything. The rest of my family has made it pointedly clear they do not approve of his actions... and they shouldn't... truly... but it is none of their D#$@! business.

I am at work, but not doing lots of work. Stress is hard to deal with when it gets to this level. I really wanted a cup of coffee and am just po'd that I can't buy one. Here I make all of the money and I can't even spend it for a friggin' cup of coffee because I'm trying to be as responsible as possible while living in a $1500 a month deficit.

Okay, I'm sorry if I am bringing you all down - didn't mean to post such a downer. Maybe I'll just delete it.

Thanks for letting me vent.
StorybookMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 01:09 PM   #21  
Head Princess

Lisa. You just go ahead and vent any ol' time you want to. We're all here for you. You're a strong strong lady to make it through such a year!
Old 06-10-2004, 01:52 PM   #22  
Baby Steps

Jane: I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ignore you this morning. We must have posted at the same time and I just clicked off to get ready for work. Thanks for the information on the vitamins. I've started taking the Atkins ones again. When I go back to the other I'll just buy an iron supplement I think.

Lori: You've got so much energy I'm envious!! I would love to start running. Not sure if my knees would enjoy it, but when I was younger (and skinny) I used to enjoy knowing I could run. I should talk my DD's into joining me for a walk/run and start building myself up. But if/when it gets unbearably hot in the summer I know I won't be running. I'll be lucky to get exercise in at all

TG: Try not to work too hard!!

Jina: You've got such a great outlook on things. I need to pay more attention to what you all are saying and apply it to myself!! Ignore the slip, you'll get back OP!

Laura: Sorry to hear about your fur kid. Hope all goes well and nothing serious is wrong.

Julie: Ever since they've switched the server I haven't had a problem (knock on wood) with losing my posts. I'll have to remember to right click, copy before hitting enter from now on though. Just to make sure I've got it "safe"

Star: You're a much more adventurous cooker than I am. I never know what to make. I've gotten addicted to boiled broccoli and cauliflower mixed. In fact, my DH and DD snitch the remainders so I never have leftovers. I'm going to have to check out your recipes. I tried the spaghetti squash. I was afraid to put spaghetti sauce on it so just put a little butter on it. It was ok but maybe needed to mix something else with it.

Well, the basement's still wet and more rain is to come. I'm not going to get a new cell phone today. I'll go tomorrow afte work. Or maybe when DH gets home from work. Then we can check out one of the grocery stores in the next town and see what type of carb-friendly foods they have. I also want to get a dehumidifier to get that basement drained. Before mold grows!!! I've been spraying Lysol. So it doesn't smell musty or moldy-and hopefully it kills the mold growing germs. I think I'm chicken of buying new clothes. That and I'm not used to buying myself stuff. I've got clothes from 3 yrs ago. Well, they don't fit anymore, but I hardly ever went out and bought myself stuff. All my new stuff is stuff DH bought me (birthdays, christmas, etc). I need to get a princess complex
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 01:53 PM   #23  
Baby Steps

Oops.
Lisa: Feel free to vent away!!! If you're stressed this is the best place to unload, because the people here are so sympathetic and they're great for support. After all you've been through, you're entitled to vent!! Keep your chin up!!
Old 06-10-2004, 01:59 PM   #24  
Baby Steps

Leenie: (Just picking up the conversation from yesterday) You only said you wouldn't kick his shoes out from under your bed...not that he'd be there
Old 06-10-2004, 02:03 PM   #25  

Ok, after doing some investigating.....I AM MORE FRUSTRATED THAN EVER!

Fitday does not seem to be keeping track of my iron intake even if I enter the percentage. However, if a label gives me 1 mg of iron and Fitday wants a percentage I don't know what to enter. I would assume that 1 gram of anything is not a percentage of much
The only thing I could find on-line was a list of foods rich in iron. I only eat a few items off the list seeing as I am not a veggie eater.

Ground beef = 3.9 per 3oz.
Chicken = 0.9 per 3 oz.
Tuna = 1 per 3 oz.
bagel = 1.5 and that is for a whole one and I only eat half!
broccoli = 1.1 per 1.5 cups

NOW WHAT?

Am I to assume that my cottage cheese has none, the egg salad I had for lunch has none and whatever the heck I am going to have at dinner if it isn't liver and spinach has none?

HELP!
Old 06-10-2004, 02:07 PM   #26  
Baby Steps

It does sound like we need an iron supplement. I'm not a math wiz so I can't tell you exactly the percentage of 1 mg. But I always thought 1 was pretty tiny
Old 06-10-2004, 02:07 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 208/199/128

Lisa - As Brenda and Star have already said...Vent away! I certainly understand where you are coming from! My DH sold his business in October 2003 and since then things have gone entirely downhill for us, becuase we still owed so much more than what the sold the business for. We are slowly digging ourselves out of a hole, but it sucks. There are so many things I would like to get for the boys for the summer, but instead I'm taking their blue jeans with holes in the knees, cutting them off and hemming them for shorts. You know what...the kids don't know the difference and certainly don't mind. Don't worry about the day care either. Our children will always know how much we love them. I struggle with this every year when they are out of school for the summer. I hate the idea of them being at the sitter's all day. I'm mostly jealous that I can't be spending the day with them!!!

Brenda - Buy new clothes.

Star - Give us princess tips! I'm telling Brenda to buy new clothes, but I do the same thing. I wait until the very last minute to get anything appropriate to wear. And when I do, I obviously do it out of necessity rather than just for ME.
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 02:08 PM   #28  

Lisa: I wish I had a million dollars and could give you some Please stay strong. And vent anytime! That's what we are for.

Brenda: No worry...I didn't think you forgot me
Old 06-10-2004, 02:09 PM   #29  
Baby Steps

lol. EXACTLY!!! Last year for my Grandparents anniversary my neighbor shanghaied me to the store. SHE picked out my clothes. I don't feel right going out and just buying stuff for me. I have no problem whatsoever of buying DH or DD's stuff.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:09 PM   #30  
Head Princess

There's a great list here: http://www.sandiegobloodbank.org/edu...rich_foods.php

Also, be sure you're getting enough Vitamin C. Vitamin C aids in the absorbtion of iron.

Non-pregnant women need around 18 grams a day. Be careful, though! High levels are toxic.