Old 06-01-2004, 01:03 PM   #1  
silly little creature

Default Atkins for the first time.

hey ya'll! I'm new here, and am super excited to lose this extra weight! I'm a little scared, too. Even though I've heard so many success stories, it's just hard for me to understand how I can eat real butter, real mayo, chicken skin, etc.. and lose weight. I started Saturday and have been very strict with myself so far. I haven't been on the scale yet, but don't plan on noticing a difference yet, either. I work out 5-6 times a week, and have always been skinny and pretty healthy, I just gained an extra 20 pounds becaue of a thyroid disorder. has anybody gained weight on this diet at all? It's just frightening to be eating some of this food. I've been reading around this forum a lot this morning, and find it very encouraging and helpful! thank you all for your friendliness and encouragement!
ellisdeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:08 PM   #2  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

WELCOME Ellisdeekat!

You have found a great place for support with Atkins! this group is the best!

I dont know anyone who has gained with Atkins, unless of course they go off and binge... It is very scary at first... I know what you mean! I come from the strict low fat high carb outlook and it was very strange to see me losing weight with this diet!

Post often! It really does help!
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:24 PM   #3  
Head Princess

Welcome!

I do know a few people who claim to have gained weight following this plan, but as with everything else, there are other factors. If you're chowing down on calorie dense food all day long, you're going to gain weight. Portion control is important.

Please check out our FAQ up in the stickies. It's very helpful
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:27 PM   #4  
silly little creature

Thanks, Karen and Star! I was wondering, if I'm strict and very careful, is it unrealistic to lose 20 pounds by August? That would be about 10 pounds a month, or 2 and a half per week...

I'll try to post as much as possible... you're right, I think it will help. I think it'll keep my mind off carbs... I'm sure I'm an addict.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:38 PM   #5  
silly little creature

edit- Star, thanks... the FAQ's are really helpful... especially the part where i'ts ok to chew sugarless gum. There's a lot of sticky's to go through, thanks for pointing out that one.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #6  
Head Princess

There's not really an answer to your question on how much to expect to lose in a given period of time. It depends on too many things: your levels of exercise, your metabolic resistance, what you're eating, how much you have to lose in the first place, etc.

The important thing is being healthy and making positive, permanant changes.
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:29 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

When I was into my 3 - 4th week on atkins and following it to the T, I gained 3 lbs, even with my carbs set at 20 gm/day, so I took a closer look at what I was doing via FitDay and then realizing that I could not eat 2200 - 2400 calories a day and expect to lose, once I cut calories down, I started dropping again.

So I'll be the poster child of one who gains on this diet.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Well Leenie - put my mug next to yours on that poster! *sigh*

Ellisdeekat - I have low thyroid, which I assume is what you have, since you gained 20lbs bec of a thyroid disorder. If I eat more then 1400 calories a day I gain weight. When I did Atkins a few months back I did not want to have to count carbs and calories and most said I shouldn't have to, but I gained weight. I think I gained 4 lbs in 6 weeks. (my memory is the pits these days) but I really tried to stick it out and see if eventually my body would give up some weight if I stuck too it. After 6 weeks I was very discouraged and went back to counting calories (which works best for me) and I try to really watch my carbs.

I don't mean to be discouraging, as most do great on Atkins, because I have figured out that I am just SPECIAL when it comes to weightloss, but I just wanted to caution you that you might want to keep an eye on your calorie intake along with the carbs.

hope it works well for you!

take care,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 02:42 PM   #9  
silly little creature

thanks, Leenie. What's FitDay? Is that a website?
Old 06-01-2004, 02:55 PM   #10  
silly little creature

wow cathy, I was kinda wondering if my thyroid would have some effect on this diet... yeah, my thyroid may as well not even be there, it doesn't work worth a lick... i was wondering if the synthroid I take has any carbs in it, also, it has a sweet taste.
so I should count both calories and carbs... that'll be a pain, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run. I hope this works, I hate not being able to fit into my clothes.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:08 PM   #11  
The Princess O' Pets

Welcome Ellis!!!

My sis has no thyroid and takes synthroid and she just counts her carbs and does great she has lost 60 pounds. So I guess it is different for everyone.
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:19 PM   #12  
silly little creature

thanks theo'sgirl! that's very encouraging. I was a little worried for a while, I guess I'll just be very careful adn see what happens.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:24 PM   #13  

hey yeah it is kind of hard to follow you will crave it, i am one to talk I have failed it in only 2 weeks. But just make sure you have variety people here will help you out so much it is a real good tool in your venture to lose.

good luck! I am starting again today as well!
frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:40 PM   #14  
Baby Steps

hi ellisdeekat and welcome.

Congrats Frodo on starting again
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:01 PM   #15  

thanks it's so nice out and I feel very motivated today... great day just feel happy in general for some reason!
frodo is offline   Reply With Quote