Old 03-30-2004, 06:48 PM   #1  
heyboygetasweaterrightnow

Default frustrated slow loser

i have been on induction 2 weeks, but i've only lost 5 pounds its nice that i'm losing, but its very discouraging because i have read so many posts about people losing much more than that on induction.

i am 5"3' and started atkins at 155 pounds. i am now 150 pounds. i usually eat around 900 to 1200 calories and around 20 carbs a day. i don't exercise but i do work and stay on my feet pretty much the whole time either there or when i'm at school. i know everyone loses at different rates, but does this seem ok to you guys?
modestmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 06:56 PM   #2  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Mousy: I lost 6 pounds on induction, and there are those here who lost even less. Keep in mind that the more overweight you are to begin with, the greater your initial loss will be. The closer you are to goal the more stubborn those pounds can be. Your daily carb count looks good, but I would caution you about going below 1,200 calories per day. Prolonged low-calorie dieting will eventually force the body into "starvation mode," changing your basal metabolic rate and making it even more difficult to shed those pounds.
Spedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:01 PM   #3  

thanks, i'm trying to be better about that
Old 03-30-2004, 07:35 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 6"

5 pounds on induction is great! I only lost 9 and yes it was a tad more then yours but I'm twice your size Don't get discouraged you are doing wonderful!
Trazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:36 PM   #5  

thank you so much i am trying to stay positive about it and know that if that keeps steady i'll eventually reach my goal weight.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:02 PM   #6  
Baby Steps

Be glad of the loss. You'll look back in time and wonder why you complained of only losing 5 pounds in 2 weeks I'm sitting at no loss for 3 weeks now (ok ok ok. it's longer than that. HUSH!) Keep up the good work! It'll slip off! Are you eating any of the Atkins bars (sugar alcohols) or anything else that might be slowing the weight loss?
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 08:18 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

ONLY ?????????????

The less weight you have to lose the less you will lose, does that make sense ?

I am over 200 lbs and I lost about 6 on induction, so be thankful you lost what you did.

Don't be in such a hurry, it will only sabotage your efforts.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 08:26 AM   #8  

May I introduce myself......my name is Queen Slow Loser!

My highest was 178 and when I was on induction I only lost 5 pounds. I was so pissed. I followed it exactly. When the two weeks was up I said "it figures, here goes another diet that is going to be slow and painful"
I kept going though and struggled along. I would lose and then gain, lose and then gain. It wasn't until I really buckled down and made this a woe rather than a diet that I started seeing results. I still only lose 1 pound a week but I am heading closer to my goal.

Watch out for the sugar alcohols and other hidden carbs. And I would bump up your caloric intake for the day. Definitely don't go below 1200.

Now I don't think this woe is "painful" in fact it is really rather easy.

You can do this I know you can.
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 08:29 AM   #9  

Modestmouse,
From one slow loser to another, I wouldn't worry about not losing all that much on induction. Most of that weight is water anyways. I lost about 10 lbs. on induction but haven't lost weight on the scale since. If the scale is bothering you why not try a different method of measuring your progress. I personally rely more heavily on my measurements. I also use ketosis test strips once and a while to reassure myself that even though it's not noticeable to me, the weight is still coming off. Just slowly. The important thing is to find something that will keep you motivated and not become discouraged. On a completely unrelated note, I happen to be a huge Modest Mouse fan. I'm assuming that's where your name comes from?
Abbie
Genghis Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:48 AM   #10  

yes, it is! i am a huge fan also, haha. i'm glad you caught it.

i do use ketosis strips and they always come back good, i just wanted to make sure that 5 pounds was an ok weight loss. i guess i just needed reassurance.

leenie, you sounded kind of peeved, haha. i am grateful for the weight loss, like i said in the first post. i just needed some kind of reassurance.

jane, i am going to stick with it (and try not to check the scale so often! haha)
Old 03-31-2004, 11:19 AM   #11  
Mouth of the South

Hello Mouse,

I called the Atkins hotline a while back and asked them what the average loss is for women. They said the average loss is 4-6 pounds if you have under 30 pounds to lose, and 6-12 if you have over 50. If you have less to lose, you will lose it slower than someone who has a lot to lose. The longer it takes to lose, the longer it takes to gain it back! Also, we didn't become overweight in two weeks, we aren't going to be thin in two weeks. You can stay on induction for longer than two weeks. Hang in there!
Catgirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:48 AM   #12  

yeah, i am staying on induction longer than the 2 weeks. thanks for the info
Old 03-31-2004, 12:05 PM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestmouse
leenie, you sounded kind of peeved, haha. i am grateful for the weight loss, like i said in the first post. i just needed some kind of reassurance.
OH NO Modestmouse, I'm sorry if I sounded like that. No way am I peeved I just suck at writing. The ladies here know I would never blast some one b/c just like you, I am learning how this whole schpeel works.

What I should have said was for the 5 lbs lost.

Sorry *forgive me *
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 02:11 PM   #14  

Hi!
YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! I know exactly how you feel and I get a little discouraged whenever I read about everyone losing 25 pounds in 4 weeks. I lost 7 pounds in the first 2 weeks. I have SLOWLY and I mean SLOWLY lost 17 pounds since January 6th. But then I think to myself, "At least I'm 17 pounds lighter, even if it is a slow process." THere were a couple weeks where I lost nothing. Please don't give up! You can do this, you just have to be patient! THink how good you'll feel a year or so from now knowing you accomplished so many things through Atkins.

One thing I noticed about your post though, was that you may not be eating enough calories...? You may need to eat more fats like cheese and olives. Remember that the body will use those fats as an energy source instead of burning off the carbohydrates it was once used to. So, if you don't have enough fat, then your body thinks you're in starvation mode and this will cause you to lose weight more slowly.

Good luck!
AtkinsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 02:24 PM   #15  

leenie, thanks! its no problem, i just wanted to make sure i didn't offend anybody, haha.

atkins chick, thanks.. i am trying to eat more calories and have been doing so the past couple days. it helps that my mom is coming up with yummy food ! haha. i keep telling myself that in a few months i'll look back and be very glad that i stayed determined..