Old 03-19-2004, 08:39 AM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Flax Seed

I have a box of bread mix. It calls for flax seed (it's called flax seed muffins). Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to look for (is it in like a flour bag, baking powder box, or a liquid form)? And if there's something else to substitute it with?
How about a good substitute for the Atkins bake mix? Anyone have a suggestion of that?
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:50 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

All I know is if you get it in liquid form its better (according to my friends who use it). They say to make sure you get a fresh batch, I gues its dated and I'm not sure but I think you have to keep it in the frig.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:27 AM   #3  
Mouth of the South

You are going to want the actual seed form for baking. You can get them in any healthfood store. You can buy them in bulk, or in a bag. Getting them in bulk is cheaper, and you aren't stuck w/ a whole bag. They are really good for you too. You may also be able to get them in the health isle at your supermarket.
Catgirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:59 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

I'll have to do a further search because none of the supermarkets here (or even the super wal-mart in the next town) has it. Dang. I'll have to just keep the box to look and drool at. lol
Old 03-19-2004, 01:06 PM   #5  
Mouth of the South

You may be able to order some on-line. Do you have any health food stores around you? You may be able to order from Atkins directly.
Catgirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 03:49 PM   #6  
Baby Steps

I'll check into it....of course, the longer it takes to actually FIND the flax seed the longer it is before I make the muffins...and eat them. And even though they're low carb (like 3G carb per muffin) do I want to introduce MUFFINS to my diet right now? See my dilemma? lol
Old 03-19-2004, 07:39 PM   #7  

Most grocery stores have them in a bag called Bobs red mill flax seed.
Usually in with the healthy stuff like wheat bran. ( which perhaps you could substitute for your flax seed). They are more effective if you get a coffee grinder and grind them up so you get the fiber inside.
They are a small brown seed
In our isle it is near the oatmeals ( real oatmeal not instant)
I can't believe a health food store doesn't have it. Gosh even a bulk food store here has them.

I have a recipe I got from a site that is just awsome.
Flax seed ( ground up) I make it and get 16 slices out of it and eat at least one a day. Keeps the bathroom trips regular as well
jjcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 08:51 AM   #8  
Baby Steps

jjcj- are you making bread or muffins with the flax seed? Do you have the recipe and carb count? I haven't looked in the recipe section for anything new, so if it's there I apologise