Old 03-18-2004, 01:00 PM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Out of Control

Ever get the feeling you're out of control and don't realise it until it's too late and don't know how to stop it? I mean OMG, I'm totally OP for the 3 weeks of the month. But TOM comes around and it's like CHOCOLATE city. And once I actually EAT something chocolate I'm disgusted (satisfied, but disgusted) with myself for giving in. Even though every chocolate thing I've eaten so far is within the guidelines (nothing is "regular" or non-Atkins friendly), I still feel guilty. Should I? Or should I allow myself a week of letting the leash go a little as long as I'm good the rest of the time?

I totally wish TOM and this need for chocolate would go away! It makes me feel like such a wuss and totally out of control! GRRRR. Maybe if I told myself, ok. you can have 1/2 a bar each day of TOM but be super strict the rest of the time. Oh he**. Just lock me in a room for the week of TOM and be done with it!!!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:08 PM   #2  
Head Princess

Relax! If chocolate's what you must have, then just make good decisions about it. What's reasonable for you? What are your options? If you like the ZCarb bars (my personal recommendation because of the low sugar alcohol), then can you have just one section of it a day? Maybe 1 section in the morning and one at night. There are 6 'sections', so that would make a whole bar last 3 days. Not too shabby.

I don't think you should deprive yourself and stress over it. It just causes more of a fixation. So, take a deep breath, relax, and decide what's right for you. No guilt necessary.
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 01:18 PM   #3  
Baby Steps

You don't now how much the past few months this struggle with chocolate is! Then I feel guilty and ICK! It's a stupid cycle I go through. I w/out thinking ate about 2 C worth of chocolate whipped topping last night. I wasn't paying attention, just sticking the spoon in the bowl and eating it. I paid the price after cuz my belly felt like it was bloated.
Yes, I need to learn portion control. I'll start small, allow myself 3 squares of the zcarb bar. Or if the craving goes away after the first one (or 2), then put the remaining away. Then in a couple months work it down to 2 a day. Break myself of the habit of over-indulging.
Ok. Slowly going to work on getting myself in control. Might not be so hyper if I KNOW I can have it instead of telling myself I can't have it. Kind of like a treat for making it through the day w/out going off program.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:21 PM   #4  
Head Princess

Great plan!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 09:19 AM   #5  
Mom, Queen of Everything

I'm not a big fan of chocolate myself (okay, you may shoot me now!), but my neighbor has the same problem, and this is what we came up with together, but it's a little pricey at first:

Go to the GNC store at your local mall and buy a container of "ISOPURE - Perfect Zero Carb." It's a powdered mix that comes in Creamy Vanilla and Chocolate. (No store? Just order it on-line.) She said the choclate tasted awful, so we tried it with my tub of the Creamy Vanilla. Mix it up into a shake in your blender, using ice cubes. The Vanilla has 200 calories and 0 carbs per serving (2 scoopfuls). Now, you need to find some of the sugar free coffee syrups at a grocery store. Find the choclate flavor. (I haven't seen the DaVinci brand, but I have seen others, and you can usually find them at the higher-priced and smaller grocery stores in any town.) Mix some of that coffee syrup into the shake and it's absolutely awesome. No, it's not a replacement for a Hershey bar, but it will give you that choclate taste with no carbs. Just be careful not to overdo it, because the calories are not insignificant!
Spedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 09:36 AM   #6  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Brenda - I have the same problem at TOM time but with Salt instead of Chocolate. Since my TOM is so irregular, mine lasts for 2-3 weeks. I keep Pork Rinds in the house, and eat them liberally at this time. Many days I have a increase in weight because of the salt I eat in the pork rinds... but at least they are op. So if eating the zCarb bars are working for you.. then I say have some. But like Paula said, dont overdo it! Pork rinds are a little more OP and have no carbs.. but I still need to watch it because the salt and the fat will eventually get to me!
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 09:38 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 6"

Sped what exactly is ISOPURE, Perfect Zero Carb? Is it a protein powder? The calories do sound a tad on the high side so I was just wondering what the benefits of it are. It does sound delishious though so I was thinking of giving it a shot.
Trazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 09:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Brenda, I really think that if your body needs it you really need to have it or you'll never stick to this long term. If you keep fighting it then well, you'll have a real blow out that will be much worse.

And for sure try the isopro powder, but I have a different brand, it's called isopro low carb. It's 2 gm of carbs per serving and 131 calories. I have it all the time after working out and the chocolate is awesome. I've even put strawberries in it now and it's a dream. I got mine at GNC as well, there's so many things you can do with it and it's a protien powder so it really fills you up.

But first and foremost try to work on that feel that you just can't have the one thing your body needs without feeling guilty, this journey is all about listening to our bodies so take the time you need to work on accepting that yours really does needs chocolate every now and again. You're still losing weight anyway, going 3 weeks with loses then one week of staying the same is still going to equal a thinner Brenda

Hang in there.
Tummy
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:26 AM   #9  
Baby Steps

Thanks! I wrote down the different shake mixes and I'll look for them. I have some 0 carb chocolate syrup (found it by the ice cream syrups) that tastes YUMMY!! I'm going to try putting some of that in water one of these days and see what that does for me. I've always had low self-esteem and my image of myself? We won't go there. So let's just say that I'm working on a WHOLE mess of problems at once But someday I'll get there.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:11 PM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Ditto's Ditto's Ditto's

Just go with the flow (eeew you know what I mean).
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:32 PM   #11  

I have been using the ISO XPwhey protien also at GNC I have the french vanilla and the creamy orangesicle explosion, Although I find them at bit too sweetthey mix wonderfully up with just water if thats what you want. No lumps or bumps to contend with.
they are 1.0 gram of carbs 140 cal 33 gram of protien per serving and are sweetended with sucralose.
VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote