Old 03-04-2004, 02:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/177/135

Height: 5'7

Default Just a few quick questions...

I have been on Atkins a little over a month and have lost 12 pounds so far. I have 16-18 +/- some to lose (I think)... but over the past week or so it has been like a yo/yo, up a pound down a pound. I am sticking at about 10 to 20 carbs a day usually less than 20, and I don't seem to be moving the scale any.

It seem a little weird too, the more water I drink the more the scale edges up...I understand the dynamics at work there are I probably am keeping myself on the edge of dehydration due to lack of water and thus when drinking it am just rehydrating but it is a real pisser to be 156 one day and 158 the next because of water

Also the OB/GYN put me on BC to control cramping and heavy cycles approximately 2 weeks ago (about the same time the wieght loss came to a screaching halt) do you think that this could be contributing to the slow down?

Also, when you get close to goal does the weight really slow down coming off? When I lost weight before (E-diets) I would average about 2 pounds a week until I quit and I was only 5 pound from my goal at that time of 135. Just curious... I am getting a little flustered and don't want to be that way.

Amy
Amyjo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:21 PM   #2  
Baby Steps

sorry. Had to chuckle at your reference of "a real pisser" while talking about water.

Sorry-I can't help answer any of your questions. I'm still a fairly newbie person and don't feel qualified to answer it. But someone will be along shortly I'm sure who can help you. Hang tight til then!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:08 PM   #3  
Domestic Goddess

At risk here for sounding like a broken record...but if you could post a menu for us to see maybe we can help you out. It's not unusual for weight loss to slow down the closer you get to goal. I know that's probably really not what you want to hear but at least your getting closer!

As far as the water I have the same thing happen. Maybe in your case you should weigh yourself less often. Sounds like your wieghing yourself several times a day....???? Anyway, I know I use to do that. I was so bad that I would pee and then weigh myself to see if that made an difference. LOL!!

Personally I had problems with BC and weight gain. There are so many types of BCP's out there. You might want to ask your Dr about weight gain and the pill. There's usually a little pamphlet that comes with the pill that lists all of the side effects...look and there and see what you can find out.

Sometimes you need to add a little more carbs ...the kind we are allowed to have... to get things going again. OWL ( ongoing weight loss) is something that Dr. A talks about in his book. Give that a look and see if that would help...also sometimes increasing fat will help.

I know it's not fun getting stuck. I've been stuck for almost 5 months. But for me I think it's portions size . My eyes are bigger then my tummy...

I hope this helps you. Maybe someone else will give you more words of wisdom. One very important thing to remember is DON'T GIVE UP!! Your body has to give in sooner or later!

OOOPS, Almost forgot...are you eating bars, shakes, low carb bread...anything that's faux food? I find that if I keep it basic...meat and veggies with limited cheese I do better. O.K. that's it I'm out of breath..I'll climb off my soap box and save the rest for a rainy day !
ChrissyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:18 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

For me to lose weight on atkins I have to watch my calories..... remember the old saying calories in calories out.. Neither do I, I'm to young but I think I heard that some where

Also, losing weight as we get older is harder. WHen I was in my 20s' I could drop 5 lbs with out a sweat, now it takes me 2 months... OY
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:45 PM   #5  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Hi Amy!

My experience has been that the weight loss definitely slows somewhat the closer you get to your goal weight. Your carb intake looks good, so I would just check to make sure that you're having adequate (but not too many calories), and perhaps step up your activity level. It may still take a while to lose those last 12 pounds, so be patient!!
Spedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:55 PM   #6  

My only vice is sugar free gum which has sugar alcohol in it. I don't eat anything off plan- nothing that is processed no bars, shakes etc. I basically eat meat and veggies- some half and half in my coffee (I know, I know) but I am a nurse and well I work weird hours.

As for the BC it is a hormone ring- I am not on the pills, and not on them for the birth control effect only the steady hormone effect. I haven't gained persay and am not craving or over eating that I would have on BCP's when I was younger.

I am not eating any starchy foods, starchy veggies and no sugar or fruit and no bread at all. When I say I am staying at 10 to 20 carbs a day that is pushing it really. I can say there are days that all I eat is protien and my only carbs are from dairy products. I am not going out of Ketosis at all haven't since I started.

I probably can answer most of my own questions based on Lack of exercise and lack of motivation to exercise. I do not over eat- that is not my ego talking it is the truth. I have a EDO and if I over eat it causes me more grief than it is worth therefore I eat till I am full or til I think I have had enough. It could be possible I am not getting enough calories because on days I work sometimes I do not have time to eat but maybe a snack in 12 hours.

Yesterday's food

coffee with spenda and half and half
an egg with sm amt. of grated cheese
6 ounces of sirloin steak with mushrooms and cheese
10 small olives
48 ounce of h2o
1 16 ounce diet coke

This is an off day food menu. when I work it can possibly be less than that.

I usually run between 800 and 1500 calories a day

the 1500 is on a day I actually eat more than once.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:02 AM   #7  

I personally don't think your eating enough! I am new here to so can't answer all your question but 8-1500 cals doesn't seam like enough at all.
Have you used Fitday?
Weird but I have lost more weight on the days I eat more. I have major munchies this week with Tom due next week adn I am going down after a 2 week stall.
Good luck getting better answers but try eating more food. Good food but food.
jjcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 208/199/128

Amy,

It sounds like you have a very tough schedule. While I'm not a nurse I do work in a hospital, so, I know how rough your schedule can get.

Looking at your menu, schedule, etc: here are my recommendations:

1. Try, try, try to eat more than once per day. it is better to have 3 meals/day or 4-5 mini meals per day. I know that is tough on a 12 hour schedule. But get some small packages of almonds and some string cheese sticks to keep in your department.
2. I know it seems like you are drinking a lot already, but drink more water. Also, I don't know how often you have the diet coke, but drop it for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.
3. Exercise. I found when I stalled badly I began an exercise routine just two days a week at home and that helped tremendously!

I know it can be tough, but stick with it and make little changes. I also agree with others in that you are not getting enough calories. If you don't get enough calories in your body with hang on to what you've got. (if that makes sense)

Anyway, good luck to you.
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

I bet you've had just about enough of our 2 cents by now but I definitely agree with the calories, the lower they are the less inclined your body is to remove pounds, exercise is the only thing that does it for me now, I'm getting rather close to goal and I'm still moving because of the workouts. Also, I'd plug a few days menu into Fitday to see if your ratios are good. They should be close to 65Fat/30Protien/5Carb and if your fat's too low it can really make a difference. Good luck, and hang in there.

Tummy
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:42 AM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Try adding some good fats to your diet and definitly eat more than 800 calories a day, thats WAY to low, your poor body's probably saying "HELP"

1/2 and 1/2 is okay btw, just count the carbs. If you chew alot of gum, that might be the problem. Remember most sf gum has 1 carb per piece some has more. How about breaking the gum in 1/2 and spliting it up that way. Some now some later.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:01 PM   #11  
Total Sass Bucket

Just want to stick my two cents in...
The calorie thing has been a MAJOR challenge for me. I find it hard to make sure I get over 1000 calories in a day. Honestly. The thing is... I realize that not taking in an adequate amount of calories is just going to hurt my metabolism and be detrimental in the long run. I have also found that when I seem to think I'm being 'bad' and munching on some low carb goodies, I seem to drop weight. So perhaps it is the calorie intake. I too have a hard time finding the time to get and get enough calories in, as a result I have stuff stashed in my car. It looks funny but sometimes that is the only time I have to eat.
Also, my sister just broke a 3 week stall. She was getting so discouraged. But now she's dropping weight again like she was before! So hang in there!

Last edited by Shimma; 03-05-2004 at 12:03 PM.
Shimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:35 PM   #12  

Well I really appreciate all the advice (seriously) Like I said I figured I could answer most of my own questions just by pounding out the numbers. I decided yesterday to do the math and well I was right I really am not eating enough. The thing is I am not hungry. I fill up so much faster now that well I eat a lot less! Like I posted before I do Have a eating disorder- I am a recovering Bulimic and well being full has its benefits and its problems because I can eat and just be full not stuffed and feel that need to purge. (I don't but it is hard sometimes) So with this way of eating I get full faster stay full longer and just don't have the urge to eat.

And time is a huge issue. Last Saturday was the first day I actually got in 3 meals and it was a day off. Exercise is just something that has evaded me also. I have a treadmill but when I am off I am in the middle of the road taking care of the things you can't when you are working plus running the kids from can to can't. I am not a sedate person but try exercise doesn't seem to ever find its way into my schedule even when I schedule it... Well speaking of schedules being on the computer is not on it right now.

Thanks for the advice again... I am sure I will have to pick your brains somemore.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:52 PM   #13  

Default A simple question from me too!

I have a friend that is having great success with a low carb diet that is simply to keep the carbs to 15 per day. My question is, what units is that in? Is it grams? Or are talking servings?

Please help!

Brad
hightech12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:43 AM   #14  
Baby Steps

Hi Brad--it's usually measured in Grams.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:20 PM   #15  
Mouth of the South

I wish we were talking servings!
Catgirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote