Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 01:27 PM   #1  

Talking I'm Brand-Spanking New!

I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Mary. I am hoping to meet alot of new people here. I have been a lurker and decided why not register. I would like to know if anyone knows the difference between the Atkins & South Beach? TIA
Old 03-04-2004, 01:36 PM   #2  
The Princess O' Pets

Hi Mary great to meet you!!! Jump right in on the posts and if you like the food log too is a great way for yout o keep on track and see the differences you are making. I am not sure about Atkins vs. SB so I will let someone else answer that one. But hope to be seeing you around!!!

TG
Old 03-04-2004, 01:59 PM   #3  
Baby Steps

Hi Mary. Welcome to the board. I'm also not familiar with South Beach. Maybe they allow more carbs (in the form of fruits)? Join in and make yourself at home
Old 03-04-2004, 04:17 PM   #4  
Domestic Goddess

OOH, a Lurker!! Good for you coming out and joining us. I use to post on this board all of the time and then life just got in the way. When that happend I didn't post anymore but would come and lurk once in a while. The gang around here is GREAT.

If you want to know more about the South Beach Diet they have a special thread with a FAQ section. Maybe that will answer some of your questions. I think that Breanda was correct when she stated that SB allows fruits and whole grains. My mom is going to give SB a wing and see how it works for her.

Anyway, welcome to our neck of the woods!!

ChrissyB
Old 03-04-2004, 04:20 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

W-E-L-C-O-M-E MARY !!
I'm so glad you registered and we didn't scare you away with our sillyness

Big hugs to you

Leenie
Old 03-05-2004, 07:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Mary, welcome to the fold, I credit this place with really helping me stay on trackh through all the ups and downs, literally. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Tummy
Old 03-05-2004, 07:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 208/199/128

Welcome Mary!!

A friend of mine is doing South Beach. I believe the biggest difference is that Dr. Atkins based his Way of Eating on lower carbs in the beginning that are very low on the glycemic index. So...low carb/low glycemic index. There are some foods that are low on glycemic that are still high in carbs that we are not "allowed" to eat. Where the South Beach diet is (I believe) based soley on the glycemic index from the way my friend explained it. But whoever said it in this thread was absolutely correct that you will get better information from the South Beach FAQ!

Welcome!!!
Old 03-05-2004, 11:07 AM   #8  

Thank You for the warm welcome.
mary
Old 03-05-2004, 11:17 AM   #9  

Hi Mary! WELCOME! THis place is great for advice, inspiration, a few laughs and everything in between. I'm glad we have another person to add to the team!
Old 03-05-2004, 01:04 PM   #10  
Mouth of the South

Welcome Mary. I am new too. My best friend and I are on Atkins for the fifth time around. She recently tried the South Beach diet, and wasn't too impressed. She said the book really dosen't give any concrete instructions like Atkins book does. Also, the difference is that SB lets you eat low glycemic fruit, and goes more for lean beef, chicken and fish. She has gotten better results from Atkins. Her cholesterol was higher on Atkins, but I don't know if that had anything to do with the diet.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:36 PM   #11  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Welcome Mary!

Glad you decided to end your lurking days and jump on board. It's great to have you here! Mr. Dancing Banana welcomes you and hopes you stick around...

Closed Thread