Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 05:43 PM   #1  

Default Newbie

Hello, I am new to this forum. So I dont know anyone yet.

I am getting ready to start the Atkins diet on March 1st. And I am still in the question stages of how everything works. I have been to the Atkins website, and I am signed up there, so I can follow everything. But I am still curious, and I guess what I am trying to say, I was wondering if maybe some of you all could let me in on some things I should know and watch for while I do this. I have especially heard that the 2 week induction period is the worst. How will that effect me? What about the carb withdrawls? And how many pounds (roughly of course) should I expect to lose in the first 2 weeks?

TIA!
Old 02-19-2004, 05:49 PM   #2  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hi Navywife...Welcome!
The 2 week induction is rough for the first 4 days or so....BUT stick with it and you will feel amazing by the 7th or 8th day. DON'T CHEAT - make a pact with yourself.... The number of lbs. varies for everyone. I lost 9 my first week but only 1 or 2 for the next 2 weeks. Just stay the course and move through the levels and you will healthier than you've ever thought. Be sure to add in exercise ASAP because it's easier when it becomes part of your "get healthy" routine.

This is a great group of women for support here. Just join in on the daily chat each day and be sure to fill out a bio at the top of this page so we can find out more about you.
Good Luck! Kim
Old 02-19-2004, 05:57 PM   #3  

Thanks Kim!
I have already been going to the gym 4 days a week of which 2 of those days, I do a sports conditioning class, which is like a live tae-bo mixed with aerobic session. I just recently decided, (along with my friend, who will be joining this forum soon) to go on the Atkins on 3.1.04. We are really excited about it, yet scared all at the same time. I am so glad that we found this thread, this is going to be a key source of support for both of us.

Ok, I must be blind, where is the bio thing you are talking about?
Old 02-19-2004, 06:06 PM   #4  
Head Princess

Hey NavyWife! Here's some advice as concise as I can make it:

1. Buy the book and read it before starting. There's just so much valuable information in there. I doesn't cost much and you'll be using it a lot!

2. Evaluate your mentality about this. The reason diets don't work is that you go on them and you go off them. The purpose of Atkins is to retrain your eating habits and the way you approach food. That means a lifetime commitment, so be prepared!

3. Induction can be tough and it's different for everyone. I didn't have headaches but I was pissy as **** and tired for about 4 days. People can have headaches, vomiting, nausea, be tired....all sorts of things. The important thing is to recognize it for what it is - withdrawl. Think of what a drug addict, cigarette addict, or alcoholic goes through when they're poison of choice is taken away. It's all about the same just to varying degrees.

It sounds like you've got a good start! Exercise is so important! As for how much to expect to lose at first, it depends on how much you have to lose overall. If you're already 5'5" and weigh 125 pounds, you aren't gonna lose much and shouldn't expect to. This isn't just about weight loss, though, this is about overall health.

There are many people here who can testify to the dramatic and positive changes in their health since starting Atkins.

Enough rambling for me! Welcome! I hope you stick around!
Old 02-19-2004, 06:51 PM   #5  
The Princess O' Pets

Greetings navy wife!! Great to have you. Another thing I will add that helped me out sooooooo much is the food log thread, check it out and post your food daily, it helps you keep track of what you are eating and it helps to see what others are eating. JUst jump right in and ask questions!!

Old 02-19-2004, 07:49 PM   #6  
Baby Steps

Hi navywife The more the merrier. I also posted here before starting Atkins. It doesn't seem like it should work the way it does. I'm actually still amazed it's working! So many of the DIETS fail--whereas this is a new way of eating (WOE). Takes getting used to. And if you slip up--pick yourself up and start over. I've had to!

If you're wanting to see other people's profiles, just click on their nic and a drop down window should appear. That's where you go to see them.

This place is great for support. I'd have been totally lost w/out it and I'm sure not doing Atkins anymore (due to ignorance on my part). Support is a key factor for me!! And the ladies here are great for that--and for their knowledge. So any questions: ask away!!!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:50 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome !!!

Logging everything I eat into Fitday has been my life saver. For sure I would screw up if it wasn't for Fitday (www.fitday.com) you can customize your foods there also.

I didn't have any bad symptoms during induction, the only thing that happened to me is I was very hungry and did crave sweets. Other than that it was a breeze.

Don't be nervous you will do just fine.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, how much do you need to lose ? I guess the amount you lose on induction really depends on the person.

Good luck !!!
Old 02-20-2004, 08:48 AM   #8  
Baby Steps

OH!!! My headaches and stuff didn't come until the 2nd week! But then I felt better. lol
Old 02-20-2004, 09:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 201/201/175

Height: 5'3"

Thumbs down

Good Morning Navywife ...hey I use to be one of those another life time ago (but that's another story)
No big advise here except buy some advil. The lucky ones don't get headaches but my first week was **** I lived on the things. But after about 5 days it goes away and you start feeling better, more engerzied (not spellling well today ...does this thing have spell check?)

So welcome and good luck
Old 02-20-2004, 09:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning NavyWife,

I just wanted to say that I am on Day 12 of Induction. I had started reading up on Atkins about a month before I actually started Induction. The more I read the more panicky I got. I was freaking out about everything that I was not gonna be able to have, even tho I have been eating low cal and low carb (only good carbs) for a long time. The more panicky I got, I felt that I needed to go ahead and start Induction or I was gonna start eating royally and gain some more weight before I even started.

Now, I have to say, that I have been pleasantly surprised at how easy this has been. I am not hungry at all - really! it is amazing! Also I have been tempted many times over the past few days by different people to "just have a bite, it won't hurt", etc. but my mind was totally made up that I wasn't gonna cheat while on Induction. Now in order not to cheat on Induction I did allow myself to have sf jello whenever I am "wanting" something sweet. I figure if allowing myself the sf jello helps me stay on Induction that it's ok, but that is just my thinking.

I 5' 3 1/2" and was 205 lbs, and even at that I am someone who NEVER loses weight no matter what I do, but I am thrilled to tell you that I have already lost 3 lbs! I am sure most people my size would lose a whole lot more then that, but it is a good weightloss for me. Everybody is so different!

Also, I feel good. Better then before that is for sure. and I feel like I have more energy and I'm sleeping soundly. The only thing I have noticed is that when I am working out with my handweights that I feel "weaker" but that may just be bec my strength training routine has been royally interrupted by my too busy life.

It has really helped me to post on the weekly food log, so that these fine ladies can keep an eye on what I'm doing. It really helps to get support and info. And it really helps me to see other people's food logs so I can get ideas.

Please let us know how you are doing.

hugs,
cathy
(the new atkinite)

Last edited by cathyxxx; 02-20-2004 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:12 PM   #11  

Thank you ALL for the warm welcome. I look forward to getting to know all of you better. Thanks for all the tips that you gave me! I really appreciate it.
Closed Thread