Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 10:29 AM   #1  

Default Will I gain weight If I go on Atkins?

Hey guys. I'm really thinking of doing Atkins to help me overcome my food addictions and my Bulimia. My mother thinks it will be good for me and will possibly help me in overcoming my COE and Bulimia. Two things I have struggled with my whole life (bulimia for only the last year and a half). I've read the whole book, and it sounds too good to be true. The last thing I need for recovery is to gain weight! That will send me spiraling right back into bulimia. It seems that most of the people in the success stories goal weights are 135 lbs or above. I'm 5'7'' and 126 lbs, so how could it work for me? I want to get down to 120 lbs., and stay there. No more COE or Bulimia to help me. Do you think I'll gain weight on it, honestly? Also, do even "normal" (non-ed) people gain weight the first couple of days?
Old 01-22-2004, 10:37 AM   #2  
Head Princess

Sammykins - I think you have to be realisitic. 120 is awfully thin for someone who's 5'7". ****, 126 is awfully thin! So my question for you is do you want to lose more weight or do you want to be healthy?

This way of eating can help you with your COE and bulimia, but not if you're going to obsess over what is probably an unhealthy weight for you. You might gain weigh. Honestly, I don't know. It's hard to say what will happen when it doesn't seem like you have any weight to lose.

BUT this way of eating is not just about losing weight. It's about feeling better and living healthier and learning to have a life that includes food but isn't controlled by it.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:46 PM   #3  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Ditto to everything Star has said.
I am only 5'4" and I was 128 many years ago. I was unbearably thin and always very lethargic. My ideal weight was really between 130 and 140 - that is when I physically felt my best.

Your posts are frightening me a little because you have mentioned that your Dr. has told you Atkins may help you with your ED. I agree it can help you break the carb addiction and the urge to binge on high carb items. But what did he give you as a goal weight? What size do you wear?

If you are worried about gaining weight because clothing will no longer fit...then I would suggest lifting weights WHILE doing Atkins because it will firm up your body and lean muscle is much smaller than fatty tissue. So even if you gain 5 lbs.... you may be in smaller clothing because your body is firming up and your metabolism is cranking. See the Ladies Who Lift thread for more info. I know that since I started lifting I have only lost 2 lbs. but I have gone down 1 clothing size so it really is proof for me.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:29 PM   #4  
Princess in Training

I am a recoved bulimic/COE also. I have only done atkins about two weeks, but I can honestly say it has removed cravings I thought would never go away. Now onto the other isse, as thin as you are--if you are looking to lose weight (not just be healthy) at your current weight, perhaps you should add "anorexic" to the list along with the bulimia/COE. A low carb diet, in my opinion, may help eliminate physical cravings and increase health, but people with emotional/psychological issues around food (myself included) need more than just a list of what to eat. Therapy, etc... maybe?
Closed Thread