Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 06:55 PM   #1  
Diva526

Default Are these things "safe" for induction?

I've seen mixed messages about eating the following foods while on induction:
1) Sugar Free Jello
2) Atkins Advantage Bars/ Morning Start Bars/ Shakes
3) Soynuts

So long as I'm under 20 carbs, does it matter if I eat any of these things?
I only eat the bars for breakfast if I don't have time to make eggs, eat the sf jello as "dessert" to keep myself from going insane, eat the soynuts as a snack when I feel the salty-crunchy urge that I used to quell w/ crackers or baked chips (I was on WW for almost 2 years, lost 20 lbs but then plateaued since this past May, and realized that it just wasn't working for me anymore)

So long as I count the carbs accurately, drink all my H20, etc., are these foods "safe" for induction?
I'd hate to be unknowingly screwing myself up!
Old 01-14-2004, 07:46 PM   #2  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Hi there Diva! First off, WELCOME ABOARD!!

My personal opinion (based on a few blown induction periods) is that during induction you should try your best to do without a lot of sweetened items, as you're trying to break that psychological love affair with sweets as quickly as possible. While all items are technically "legal," it's very hard to keep under 20 carbs and still feel that you are full, that you aren't somehow being cheated out of eating enough. By the way, those Atkins bars actually have quite a few carbs! All that being said, you're not going to stay on a diet if you deny yourself EVERYTHING, so just try to be sensible! Now, keeping all that in mind, I go beserk on induction and don't allow myself more than 5 grams of carbs a day for about the first month. It's the only way I can break my warm fuzzies for carbs! But hey....the weight loss is phenomenal!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 08:25 PM   #3  
Head Princess

Hi Diva!

I agree with Spedmom. SF jello is only dangerous in that you're not re-training your body by relying on it for a sweet fix. I find that if I have a sweet craving, a couple of pieces of bacon takes care of it for some reason.

Atkins bars - while handy, these are among the fabled "frankenfoods". They don't list the sugar alcohols which are notorious for stalling weight loss and causing major gas at the minimum. You're much better off eating "normal" foods. I personally don't like eggs very much but there are more options than eggs. Have bacon, sausage (the pre-cooked kind that you can nuke are very convenient), leftovers from dinner, summer sausage, cheese. Who said it had to be traditional?

Soy nuts - Since they're not on the list of approved foods for the first 2 weeks, I'd stay away from them for at least that long.

It's not exactly pleasant at first, but understanding that the purpose of induction is to get you through the carb withdrawl so you are no longer controlled by cravings and crazy blood sugar issues makes it much easier.

I know that some people feel limited by Atkins - especially at first. But if you're willing to find recipies and get adventurous, you'll have a great time with it and never miss a thing.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:54 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Diva, Welcome !!!!!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:30 AM   #5  
Baby Steps

I noticed that when I ate the Advantage bars I still wanted something to munch on afterwards. It's great to kill the chocolate cravings I was having-but as for a snack it just didn't cut it. I haven't been counting carbs and maybe I should. I also bought some salad dressing that had sugar in it and gained back a pound! wouldn't have bought it if the store would have had my no carb stuff in stock. Looks like next time I have to buy 3-4 bottles of it at a time. lol. Anyone else notice that the price of eggs has gone up quite rapidly? Makes one think about buying a chicken. lol. I didn't know we could have summer sausage! YUMMY! I think I'll save that for when I'm not on induction though. Saturday's my 2 weeks on Atkins--but I think I'm going to stay on induction longer. The book didn't discourage it the amount of weight I have to lose. So another week or 2 won't hurt.

Morning everyone--hope you all have a great day
Old 01-15-2004, 11:37 AM   #6  

AH HA! Now I know. I've been eating the "net carb" bars as meals instead of cooking the whole major foods. I haven't lost but about a half a pound in five days and I was starting to get worried that I was doing something way way wrong. I'll be NOT eating those bars for the next week and a half and see if that gets some of the poundage off.

*Grrr* Stupid bars.
Closed Thread