Am I taking the right supplements?

• Hi All!

It seems that I'm chugging down an awful lot of vitamins/minerals trying to keep true to Dr. Atkins' recommendations, as well as my doctor's (for calcium & aspirin). I'd really appreciate your feedback on whether I need to add/subtract anything:

OneSource Women's Multivitamin - 1 capsule
    Aspirin (81mg) - 1 per day (for my heart!)
    Chromium Picolinate - 800 mg
    Oscal (Calcium) - 1000 mg
    Vitamin C - 3000 mg
    Flax Oil - 1000 mg
    Fish Oil - 1000 mg

What do you say?
  • Spedmom,

Those are all great supplements! Do you take them more than once a day? Maybe if you got a dose that you could only take once a day and broke them up during the day that would help?
  • I personally could not live without the Acetyl L-Carnitine and the COQ10 that I take 3X a day. I think they really help with my cravings. But I didn't start taking them until my weight loss slowed about 9 weeks into the program. I feel extremely energetic when I take them. Check his book on the reasons for them.
    Kim
  • I take most of the supplements you listed (not flax oil tho) and I also take CLA (conjugated linoeic acid) which is supposed to help turn fat into muscle (I guess you should exercise to test out this theory? lol). I take an additional potassium before bed (to avoid leg cramping) and a 5-HTP for sleeping and happiness!

Kim I also take the COenzyme Q10 - how many mg do you take a day?

Try and stay away from the chromium picolinate as there have been some negative studies done on it - I am currently using chromium polynicotinate (which is a bit ch to find here).

My schedule:

Upon awaking: 1 650 mg calcium (with my first glass of water).

Breakfast:
    2000 mg CLA
    1 chromium polynicotinate (100 mg)
    1 multi vitamin (1/3 of daily dosage)

Lunch:
    1000 mg CLA
    1 mult vitamin
    100 mg CoQ10

Dinner:
    1000 mg CLA
    1 multivitamin
    1 Omega 3-6-9

Bedtime:
    1 potassium (50 or 100 mg)
    1 5-HTP (50 mg).

Looks like I am a pill junkie!

Froufy
  • Thanks so much ya'll!

I do take all of my supplements in the morning -- a one shot deal. I don't have a set lunch time, and am often on the go, so taking them all at one time helps me to make sure I get them all in.

I appreciate all the info!