Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 03:20 AM   #1  
thin within

Question Families on Atkins

my two sisters and i are three fat chicks on atkins. i was wondering if there are any other families doing atkins together. i just started atkins today. i've been researching south beach for a bit, but decided to follow my twin and little sister. my little sister has lost 55 so far. my twin has lost 17. my doctor had told me to try this once before to get my cholesterol level down. i only stayed on for two weeks. he has been on it almost 4 years and is maintaining well. my husband has lost with this also. at any rate, i thought i'd just check to see if there are any other 3fc's from the same family out there who are working together to lose. thanks to the 3fc's who started and maintain this site. it is the best i have found. i am 5'9 and currently at 210. i would love to be 135 again, but would settle for 145. actually, all three of us are targeting the 135 to 145 range.

Last edited by fullfig; 09-12-2003 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:01 PM   #2  
Slimwithin

Welcome, Fullfig. I'm on Atkins but nobody else in my family would consider giving up bread, potatoes, rice, etc. Now that I'm into it, I'm not finding it difficult at all to forego those foods.
Even though I'm following Atkins, I call it "the zone" when I get into ketosis and lose cravings. To me it's just so amazing that food is no longer on my mind every waking minute of the day and that I sometimes even forget to eat! Give yourself a few weeks to really get into it and you too will be amazed and how little food you really require.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:35 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi,

I'm on atkins and so is my hubby. He has of course reached goal b/c he didnt have that much to lose. I on the other hand have A LOOOOOOONG way to go.

It seems like every couple of weeks I get antsy and want to cheat.

does this happen to anyone and do you cheat ?
Old 09-02-2003, 10:06 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Hi Fullfig, I am 'kinda' on Atkins, and I have one sister that is on South Beach and another getting ready to start low carb.

Leens, I do get antsy every now and then...I have made a deal with myself that every 5 pounds I can have a dinner of whatever I want. I have such a hard time losing after that dinner, that I am beginning to wonder if it is screwing up my metabolism. Surely one meal wouldn't do it, but I am losing VERY slow!
As for other cheats, if I am just losing my mind, I will have a 'small' something. Not a whole entree, but something like a piece of ww bread, or a few fries, but nothing big. Hmm, maybe THAT is why I lose slow! Really though, I don't do it hardly at all. It keeps me from bingeing, so I think it is a good idea for myself.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:05 AM   #5  
thin within

Angry thanks

thanks guys. i have been on almost every kind of diet that i can think of. sometimes i have cheated, at other times not. when i have done slimfast, i would have one meal on saturday in which i could eat whatever i had been wanting all week. that worked well for me. i do not consider that to be cheating, as i would plan it ahead of time. at other times, if there was something that i was really hungry for, i'd go ahead and have a little of it to get it out of my system. the main thing that i have to careful not to do is to give myself a break. the last few times that i have been on 30 lb roll with losing, i have stupidly told myself that i would take a weekend off. in all three instances, the weekend turned into nearly a year. knowing this, i have to really watch myself. i'm not sure how a tiny treat off the plan would effect progress with atkins. i think my husband allowed himself bread every now and then and did okay. i'll ask my sisters. my twin has lost 17 in about 9 or 10 weeks, i think. my little sister has dropped her 55 in about 6 or 7 weeks. my twin got 5 of hers off doing the 1000 calorie fat fast. the last time that all three of us were thin was christmas of 92. right now, we live far apart. my twin is on the east coast and my little sister in the south. i'm currently out of the country for two years. so, we are hoping that we will hardly recognize each other when we get together again. i am really hoping to do well with this. i would like to drop at least 60 lbs before trying to get pregnant again. enough of the long post . thanks again for letting me know. our goal is to lose 2 people between the three of us. hopefully, we will. oh, how much have y'all lost so far?

Last edited by fullfig; 09-03-2003 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:27 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Fullfig, personally, I find that something off program one day sets me back about 3-4 days. This fabulous info I found out on Saturday. (although unintentionally) So I choose to stick to the program fairly strickly knowing that the better I do here, the sooner I will be in more liberal parts of the program and will be able to enjoy more foods. This is enough for me right now, I'm really not having many cravings and am not hungry so this is the way I've chosen to go. So far, I'm in my sixth week and have lost 30 pounds, although I that was a) fairly new fat (no tap roots eh ruth? ) and b) I lose fairly fast, but then again, I can gain 30 pounds just as fast so it's a toss up that it's a good thing and finally c) I exercise a lot, never thought I'd say that with a straight face, but 5-6 days a week of cardio and resistance training mixed in.

Good luck and although my finace isn't on atkins technically, he's lost 15 pounds just because he eats the same as I do during dinner That may be inspiration enough for him one day, but not right now. And regardless, he really doesn't need to lose more than 25 or so total, just those pesky love handles, as he calls them.

Tummy
Old 09-03-2003, 02:07 PM   #7  

Hello - can I join in?

I have been on Atkins for over 2 years - love it. I feel so good the weight loss is almost an aside.

Have you read the book, Full? Lots of good information there.

Good luck to you!
Old 09-03-2003, 03:31 PM   #8  

I am with you Tummy- I find if I "stumble" I have a hard time getting back up... Like on Saturday I went to the fair and said I don't care and ate some fair food and STILL I am having a hard time getting back into it!! I will have to start over again because of how badly I have been eating!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 03:59 PM   #9  
Slimwithin

All of us have different metabolisms. We've all tried just about every kind of weight loss plan ever invented. The only one that I've ever had major success with and without a lot of feelings of deprivation, has been the Atkins plan. I did learn one important thing when I was giving the Carb Addicts Diet a whirl. You don't want to give your insulin a chance to spike and a simple little off program snack can do the trick for most of us who are insulin resistant. It's better to never allow yourself those little indulgences and treats. You may think it's keeping you from binging and if this is truly the case, you are luckier than I. I can't stray much above 20 grams of carbs in a day before those nasty old cravings come sneaking back with a vengeance and then it's ever so hard to get back in the groove. This is my 6th week of strictly OP Atkins and FINALLY, in this past week, I'm consistently showing medium purple on the ketone test strips. (but only late in the day) I truly can't believe how quickly I feel full these days and it took almost five weeks of strict low carbing to put me in this state. Why would I want to jeopardize this wonderful feeling just to pig out on a few French Fries or a slice of bread? Especially when I can indulge my sweet tooth on any of the wonderful low carb but sinfully rich and creamy low carb desserts as a special treat. Even they have to be handled with extreme caution though. Sometimes our bodies are fooled by the sweetness of Splenda and other artificial sweeteners into thinking it's the real thing and that can cause those cravings to return. Personally, I'm trying to cut back on the goodies and stick to plain, simple low carb foods. That's when I seem to experience my best weight losses. Here's a sample daily menu from the week I lost well.
4 slices bacon
2 eggs

1 cup mixed salad with oil/vinegar dressing
Deli chicken leg, breast & wing

1/2 cup diet jello with dollop of whipped cream

6 oz grilled steak
mushrooms fried in butter
1/2 cup green beans with butter

Jello & whipped cream

And I was absolutely STUFFED on this. It's under 1400 calories, my friends. Does it get any better than this?
Old 09-05-2003, 06:09 AM   #10  
thin within

Default thanks for the info

thanks. my husband's birthday is today. i'm determined not to get off the wagon though. although this is just the fourth day on atkins, i do not want to blow it. although all of our stuff has just arrived from the states, i have not found the scales. i am the kind of person who gets on every day to check progress. my younger sister has been losing at a much faster rate than my twin. so, i'll be anxious to see how i'm progressing. have a great weekend!
Old 09-05-2003, 06:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi All!
I recently switched from Nutrisystem to Atkins. I just began Induction on Saturday morning. So far I love it. I am not hungry and have to remind myself to eat. No cravings, no cheating, thats a big thing for me!
I am having some energy issues, which I read are normal in the beginning. I make it half way up the stairs and can barely get to the top. I went on a 5 mile bike ride which I always do, and my legs felt like Jello. Anyone know how long this lasts? I can't wait for the endless endurance and energy I've been reading about. So far I have lost 7lbs in 6 days. I am wondering if I should get the Ketostix I hear everyone talking about, or is that more for after induction?
I am so glad I found this plan. I did alot of research on Atkins.com before I decided to try it. I always thought a calorie was a calorie was a calorie but I read alot of the scientific research and studies and thought I'd give it a try! Good luck to all! I usually dont post much but am always here lurking. I hope to have finally found the key!

Barb
194 HW
176 Started Atkins
169 CW
135 Goal!

P.S. What supplements do you take? I just take a One-A-Day Weight Smart
Old 09-06-2003, 12:25 AM   #12  
thin within

hi barb. glad you have joined. it seems like i read in atkins that you may feel tired if you are losing too quickly. seems like it is supposed to pass though. i think i remember it saying that you can try to slow the loss down to have more energy though. i do not know which supplements everyone else is using. i only take a prenatal vitamin each morning. i'm not currently pregnant, but will be trying after i get my weight down. i still have not found my scales, so do not know how i am progressing. this is day 5 on atkins for me. my twin is still stuck, but little sister is still on a roll. have a great weekend!
Old 09-06-2003, 07:27 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Barb, I think the one word that can be used to describe how I felt during the first week was crud. I lost really fast in the beginning too, but I started to feel better after about 7 days. Now, tons of energy and sleeping better and I am still losing fairly quickly, at about 2-3 pounds a week. You're doing great considering you're at a fairly low weight already, usually people lose slower down in those numbers so WTG!

Post often, or at least more than you lurk I take a multivitamin and chromium everyday (I'm very insulin resistant, dr. put me on the last one to help with the problem)

Tummy
Old 09-09-2003, 12:43 PM   #14  
reaching my goals

I'm Fullfig's twin sister. I've been on atkins for 12 weeks and have lost a measly 17 pounds. I lost 5 pounds on the 1000 calorie plan. I had to get off the 1000 cal plan as I was required to travel for work. I will start the 1000 cal plan probably Monday. I haven't cheated since week 3. It made a huge difference. I only had a half of a lunch size portion of a chicken chimichanga and a few chips and gained back 2 pounds which it took the rest of the week to work back off. For me cheating is a deathwish. I read that when you cheat it takes either 48 or 72 hours to get all of that sugar completely out of your system. that's why most people don't lose for a few days after cheating. I haven't been exercising but am refinishing some furniture so my free time is tied up. Good luck to all of you.

SW--205/CW--188/GW--135
Old 09-09-2003, 11:27 PM   #15  
WW Moderator

Welcome to the list, Supersized! I am just like you with the slow weight loss. I lose excrutiatingly slow! Rebounds are similar with me as well. Maybe I am your twin, too!
Closed Thread