Old 02-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/165/165

Height: 5'9"

Default The profound magic that can happen when doctors tell patients about low carb

These brought tears to my eyes. Yes low carb high fat works. Please share links if you want to.
http://myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.co...se-100-pounds/
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/0...vate-practice/
http://vernerwheelock.com/?p=229
PrimalLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

thank you thank you!!! I've been struggling with cravings on low carb. Love this blog!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #3  

It takes a transition period. It took me a couple of week to get over them bad, but then over a month to really get over them.

But guess what? Now my life is infinitely better and I HAVE NO HUNGER. Period. No cravings. A lot of people who 'succeed' on calorie counting say maintenance is harder than losing.

FORGET THAT! It is effortless now and I did not calorie count for a day or even a single meal and I never will.

Remember the foods you were eating are highly addictive. Highly. In many people as much as drugs. Also your body literally doesn't have the machinery to work well on high fat low carbs at first. Now I have sustained mental energy because the brain prefers to run on ketones. But most people are sugar burners and they literally lose the ability to have their brains run on ketones. It takes a few days to weeks to ramp it up. During that time some people get headaches or woozy.

It is a transition period. The body and brain is screaming for carbs. Carbs! Because it doesn't know how to run on fat. But keep with it and it will and it is the best thing EVER. Or at least for me and my wife it is.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

I am surprised that there's a diet with no vegetables. I'm happy it has worked for her. I cannot imagine it though.
Since I truly cut out the junk carbs, I've felt much better. But i love veggies and feel the need to have them in my diet.

I started eating low carb because theres a lot of diabetics in my family and I could either follow the diet now and prevent disease, or follow it later after letting bad things happen.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #5  

Sigh. What? Not getting the statement. What in the world are you referring to with veggies?

Almost everyone I know doing low carb high fat properly has more vegetables than they ever had in their lives. Just not starchy ones. I have veggies at almost every meal now. We eat lots of vegetables.

If you aren't then you are not doing LCHF.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalLarry View Post
Sigh. What? Not getting the statement. What in the world are you referring to with veggies?

Almost everyone I know doing low carb high fat properly has more vegetables than they ever had in their lives. Just not starchy ones. I have veggies at almost every meal now. We eat lots of vegetables.

If you aren't then you are not doing LCHF.
The first link that you shared is about a woman who eats zero vegetables. I've never read anything like that, but it's fascinating!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The zero carb (no fruit or veggie) website is scary. There are even testimonials on there for zero carb dieting during pregnancy. Folate deficiency during pregnancy causes neural tube (brain and spine) defects. Folates come from plant foods. So if you want a baby with spina bifida, zero carb dieting is the way to go.

Sadly, the zero carb, and the little or no freggie low-carb dieters are not a small segment of the low-carb (especially the low-carb, high fat) community.

Low-carb done well (with a wide variety and 5+ servings of high fiber, low-carb veggies and berries) can be very healthy, but the no- or low- freggie versions are usually a very bad idea (unless you have certain bowel diseases, and then you're also prescribed vitamins and other compensatory supplements).

Freggies may even be the "bottom line" of a healthy diet, because some research find low-fat, high-carb, plant-based diets healthiest, and others find low-carb, high fat diets healthiest, and it may actually be that freggie intake (of the low sugar, high-fiber kind) is the real key.

Up to this point, freggie intake within low-carb hasn't been explored much. Little or no distinction is made between high-freggie and no-freggie low-carb.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-19-2015 at 10:28 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Yeah I can't imagine life without veggies. I like ribs and butter as much as the next person. But life without artichokes is not truly living.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #9  
3rd time's a charm!

S/C/G: 320/295/130

Height: 5'7"

All fruits and vegetables are "healthy", but not all are weight loss friendly.
I'm okay with that.
Espressowhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Started Cal Counting on 1/4/16

Height: 5'10"

I can care less if I eat another piece of fruit for the rest of my life. I was never big on fruit. I love my veggies, though, but I really have to be careful about how much I consume and which type of veggie. I can't eat broccoli, but if I cook it and put it in the blender with some chicken broth, heavy cream and cheese, (broccoli-cheddar soup), I can devour it

I have colitis, so I really have to be careful of how many veggies I can eat.
JerseyPAGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalLarry View Post
These brought tears to my eyes. Yes low carb high fat works. Please share links if you want to.
http://myzerocarblife.jamesdhogan.co...se-100-pounds/
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/0...vate-practice/
http://vernerwheelock.com/?p=229
The "My Zero Carb Life" website was a bit scary. That's because the woman primarily eats a lot of meat. And I've read that too much protein can turn into glucose causing your insulin to spike. And if she eats eggs and cream, she is eating some carbs, because those foods are not zero carb foods. Neither is cheese. So all she's eating is a non-veggie diet. Not a zero carb diet.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPAGirl View Post
The "My Zero Carb Life" website was a bit scary. That's because the woman primarily eats a lot of meat. And I've read that too much protein can turn into glucose causing your insulin to spike. And if she eats eggs and cream, she is eating some carbs, because those foods are not zero carb foods. Neither is cheese. So all she's eating is a non-veggie diet. Not a zero carb diet.
Her website says she eats very small amounts of eggs/cream, but just mainly eats meat.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:38 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Her website says she eats very small amounts of eggs/cream, but just mainly eats meat.
Too much meat though, correct? Like I stated in my last post, I thought that I read where if you eat too much meat it can get stored as glucose?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPAGirl View Post
Too much meat though, correct? Like I stated in my last post, I thought that I read where if you eat too much meat it can get stored as glucose?
I don't know how much she's actually eating...she could be eating 800 calories of meat or 3000 calories of meat.

I wouldn't try it!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #15  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

I eat mostly lean protein, tons of veggies and fruit and consider myself low carb. I don't know where people get the "no veggies" thing....
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote