Old 01-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/165/165

Height: 5'9"

Default If you want to understand why people get obese and what to do, watch this

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YpllomiDMX0

Amazing video. Still shocks me that up until 1960s the public and doctors understood that sugar, carbs, starches made most people fat. Then low fat came in and all check has happened in obesity, cancer, diabetes, autoimmunity, heart disease. So sad, so preventable.

But watch this and you will get your health back. Jason Fung is a doctor and doing great research. He is passionate about sharing.
PrimalLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Still shocks me that up until 1960s the public and doctors understood that sugar, carbs, starches made most people fat.
Processed carbs, maybe.

Unrefined carbs do not cause a problem and they also knew this because they are absorbed more slowly and you don't get an insulin spike.

Which is why I start every day with a steaming bowl of steelcut oats with added figs, dates and dried apricots.

But I look forward to watching this.

Last edited by IanG; 01-17-2015 at 07:05 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #3  
Piggies obsessed

S/C/G: 300/275/140

Height: 5'5"

I agree with IanG about unrefined carbs being okay. Diabetics can have them and their blood sugar is fine.
VioletDolphin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #4  

A snickers versus whole wheat bread.
http://www.nathanyoungsblog.com/whea.../#.VLw2n4TnZQA
Old 01-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

Both refined. So what's the point?

Dried figs. Steelcut oats. Dates. Hummus. Go for broke. There are lots of unrefined carbs that won't stick to you and do you a whole lot of good while at it.

For that matter, even ice cream doesn't seem to affect me. But then again it's GI is less than that of an apple!

If you avoid all carb sources in the false belief that all are bad for you then you are missing a serious weightloss and healthly lifestyle trick!

There's the easy way and then there's that way.

I'm with easy.

Last edited by IanG; 01-18-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalLarry View Post
https://www.youtube.com/embed/YpllomiDMX0

Still shocks me that up until 1960s the public and doctors understood that sugar, carbs, starches made most people fat.

Actually, not so much. If you cherry pick resources,you can make this seem true, but if you broaden your (re)search (across time and place, to other eras and other countries and cultures) you'll find that over the decades, centuries, and even millenia, there have been a great number of theories as to how best to control body weight (whether one wanted to lose or gain depending on which was fashionable at the time) and likewise which foods promoted good health.

You don't even have to look back in time, even just today, if you look to other cultures, there's an incredible amount of variation in both the science and in what is considered "common knowledge."

Even limiting your studies to scientific and pseudo-scientific research of the last 150 years, you will find a great deal of conflicting data and conclusions drawn from the data.

As of yet, there's no unified theory (and little effort to create one) that would account for the wide disparity in research results. Instead you have theorists and their supporters trying to poke holes in the theories and research of other camps, each "side" dismissing, finding fault with, and/or ignoring any evidence that doesn't support their own theory.

Unfortunately, a unified theory isn't likely to be presented any time soon, maybe because there isn't one best answer. Maybe there is no one-type-suits-all diet. Maybe our genetics, age, health-history, health goals, lifestyle factors... all determine which diet or diets might work best for certain individuals and groups.

Personally, at this point in my life, I find myself leaning towards lowish carb and slowish carb paleo for myself (by slowish, I mean low glycemic), but not because I think everyone needs to eat this way, but because I seem to.

There might be other ways I could eat for health and weight loss, and there's CERTAINLY other ways that other people can (and do) eat for health and weight loss. There's at least as much compelling research support for low to moderate fat, plant-based diets as there is for high-fat, meat-based diets (The China study comes to mind). In fact, there's probably more, just because in many parts of the world, meat and even protein is and has always been relatively difficult to come by (other than by way of insects).

There's been some interesting research recently that suggests that a high-veggie, low-fat, moderate grain diet may be healthiest to prevent certain diseases, but that a high-protein, low-carb diet may be best to treat those same diseases.

I think we're finally starting to ask better (or at least more complex) questions - not, only "which is the best diet for health and weight control?" but rather, "which is the best diet for whom and for what specific health goals?"

Until then, I think it's important to keep an open mind and study all of the research, not just those that support our personal philosophy.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-19-2015 at 01:39 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

Very nicely put kaplods.

I am actually just starting to read the science now. It is fascinating.

Strangely, I can only just face reading this now having lost the weight. It's nice to read on what did and did not work for me based on the literature. For example, alcohol seems to be a consistent no-no, yet it never affected my loss and still hasn't even now having (mostly) quit the booze for good!

Last edited by IanG; 01-19-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #8  

Kaplods,

What makes you assume I don't have broad research.

A much saner assumption would be I do for a few very cogent, real, and powerful reasons.

One I go again against conventional wisdom almost entirely. The 'experts' say my diet will 'kill' me. But I adopted it. Why? I read A LOT. Researched a lot.

Second my health transformation has been profound. But not just me. I've now lost a bit over 120 lbs, my wife closing in on 70 lbs lost. Friends who have tried it all similar. All our bloodworks better. All our hunger better.

It really is extraordinarily simple for most. Around 80-85% of people will get to their ideal weight and have profoundly good health on real food, high natural fats, no industrial vegetable oils, and no grains.

In fact I have met no one who has not succeeded doing that. No one. The other 15% have to do more tweaking, but even most of them thrive on high fat low carb. And as I said in many posts people do have carb tolerance range. Some may have to go sub 30g, some 50g, others ok around 100 maybe a bit more.

And my wife and I keep it off effortlessly. Because no insulin, no fat storage and fat equals high quality fuel the body LOVES. It is that simple.

I learn new things every day, many important nuisances. But low carb high fat transformed our lives. From both morbidly obese to normal BINs. From many health complications to perfect health. And I researched the science every step along the way.

Why should i, you, or anyone look beyond that video if the science is right? Where did Dr. Fung get it wrong.

The ironic thing is people going decades believing in healthy whole grains, low fat, move more, never not being obese, getting diabetes, heart attacks, etc.

But oh man it must be right. They never lose the weight, they never get healthy. Ever. At least I asked Why? I asked why are grains healthy, why is fat bad. And because I asked why I have had health and success beyond my wildest dreams.

So irony of irony saying I am closed minded. Are we birds or rodents? Animals that evolved to eat grains? I don't think so.

Last edited by PrimalLarry; 01-19-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #9  

Kaplods,

I will say this, it is always good to question one's self. And to remain agnostic to some extent. But we all have to eat. I am always looking at potential shortfalls of what I am doing and ways to improve.

But my wife and me have achieved unbelievable success with no grains, whole foods, high fat. AND I know the science behind why.

So you are left with we are hopelessly individual and then there would be really no point in 3FC. Just throw our hands up. Or, perhaps, being all the same species maybe there are certain very important base things that can take a lot of our species a long way.

And I believe insulin, carbs, the importance of fat, and the potential downfalls of grain are fairly universal. With important variances.

But why would I be anything but enthusiastic given me and my family's lived reality? Our daughter is thriving also. AND thousands upon thousands upon thousands if not millions of similar success stories on whole food no grain approaches?

So yeah if something isn't working for you or anyone else keep looking or tweaking. But this IS working for everyone I know personally and from what I hear online for many more.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Great lecture. After reading that I'm fairly certain the reason for my weight stall is not eating enough. I've got to add n extra meal of protein.
To the store for steak!
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:34 AM   #11  

Protein can be very saitiating but you have to be careful with too much protein. The best way to succeed is a high level of natural fats. NO vegetable oils aside from those that can be cold pressed like olive oil.

Lots of organic non-refined coconut oil, grass fed butter, high quality lard and tallow, pastured eggs, grass fed meats, dark organic chicken with skin on, raw nuts, etc.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:57 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Processed carbs, maybe.

Unrefined carbs do not cause a problem and they also knew this because they are absorbed more slowly and you don't get an insulin spike.

Which is why I start every day with a steaming bowl of steelcut oats with added figs, dates and dried apricots.

But I look forward to watching this.
I can't post links :/, but you can find source using google.

"The glycaemic index (GI) of pure mashed potato was 108, whereas combined with chicken breast, rapeseed oil and salad, it was only 54. The latter GI also differed considerably from its predicted value of 103, which was based on the individual GI of the components of the meal"

"chicken breast in the meal increased the insulinaemic response, and rapeseed oil diminished it. "

Low gi carbs are a bit of a myth, if you combine processed carbs with fat it will have moderate or low gi. The overall quantity of carbs, and eating fat with them is what really matters for gi (fibre can also have a positive effect, but vegetables don't have enough fibre to work without adding fat). This is why low fat had contributed to the obesity epidemic.

From my personal experience eating white flour, or sugar doesn't matter (it might not be a good idea health wise to eat too much of those but for weight it doesn't make a difference), quantity + fat is what matters. 120g of carbs a day work, I had tried to add more fruit to my diet but it always leads to hunger, eating 120g net carbs a day it doesn't matter if I eat cake, and pizza for my carbs or healthier foods (I usually eat those because I enjoy healthy foods, but when I feel like eating cake it isn't a problem).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalLarry View Post
The ironic thing is people going decades believing in healthy whole grains, low fat, move more, never not being obese, getting diabetes, heart attacks, etc.

But oh man it must be right. They never lose the weight, they never get healthy. Ever. At least I asked Why? I asked why are grains healthy, why is fat bad. And because I asked why I have had health and success beyond my wildest dreams.

So irony of irony saying I am closed minded. Are we birds or rodents? Animals that evolved to eat grains? I don't think so.
There is one problem with what you are saying (the same logical problem is with people who advocate vegan diets). You had changed two major things at one:
1)eating less carbs, and more fat.
2)not eating grains

You can't know if 2 was important or not, it could as well be that 1 makes all of the difference.

Before obesity epidemic people were eating grains, and sugar, but the proportions were different. I can't find the study now but they did compare old recipes to what people eat today, and carbs had increased by 80%, and meat by only 11% (there was no data on fat but that likely had gone down since people eat less fat overall then they did)

google : Americans-are-eating-10g-less-fat-per-day-than-they-did-in-the-late-1970s

Last edited by Maki; 04-17-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Maki is offline   Reply With Quote