Old 09-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #1  

Default Why 3g of carbs in my Balsamic Vinegar

since a trip to Italy I have been obsessed with vinegar and oil on my salads. I use a bottle store brand vinegar that has a spray top since I tend to overpour without it. Since I've been low carbing again, my tastebuds have been sensing a sweetness to my vinegar. When i read the ingredients, it has concentrated grape must in it which translates to 3 g carb (sugar) per T. What gives? has anyone else experienced this? i thought vinegar was vinegar. and isn't 3g of sugar per T a lot? I am truly gobsmacked and can't wait to go back to the store tomorrow and read vinegar labels.
Oreo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo12 View Post
since a trip to Italy I have been obsessed with vinegar and oil on my salads. I use a bottle store brand vinegar that has a spray top since I tend to overpour without it. Since I've been low carbing again, my tastebuds have been sensing a sweetness to my vinegar. When i read the ingredients, it has concentrated grape must in it which translates to 3 g carb (sugar) per T. What gives? has anyone else experienced this? i thought vinegar was vinegar. and isn't 3g of sugar per T a lot? I am truly gobsmacked and can't wait to go back to the store tomorrow and read vinegar labels.
Yes, balsamic vinegar contains sugar. This is why it is so important to read ingredients. It is very surprising what is in some items!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #3  

I truly had NO idea. Generally, I am a reader of labels and consider myself a savvy shopper but this is as shocking to me as when I discovered that they put sugar in peanut butter. sometimes, i swear they're out to get you.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo12 View Post
I truly had NO idea. Generally, I am a reader of labels and consider myself a savvy shopper but this is as shocking to me as when I discovered that they put sugar in peanut butter. sometimes, i swear they're out to get you.
There's sugar in everything which is why there is an epidemic of obesity & disease.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:32 AM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Life is way too short to worry about sugar in balsamic i.m.o.

I think it's fanastic stuff. I use a couple of teaspoons a day on my salad and I am done.

I have just transitted Europe on a journey to the far East and bought a couple of bottles of the real stuff. Several hundred dollars for not very much but can't wait to try it when I am back home. Probably on Thanksgiving.

Can't recall meeting a person who got fat "eating too much balsamic vinegar..."

Last edited by IanG; 09-26-2014 at 08:34 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #6  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Can't recall meeting a person who got fat "eating too much balsamic vinegar..."
Nor have I met anyone who got fat "eating too much balsamic vinegar"....however, I have met a lot of people with serious illnesses related to their diet.
The sooner people educate themselves about the effects of sugar, as well as refined, processed carbohydrates in their diet, the more they will avoid these health destroyers & disease causers. The more they avoid them, the healthier they will become. The healthier they become, the less medication they will need. The less medication they will need, the less of a profit for Big Pharma!! A win-win situation!!
Old 09-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #7  

@Jerseygirl: Couldn't agree with you more. Please read or watch Dr. robert Lustig. He has an inciteful video on YouTube.
I see from your bio that you're from Pittsburgh. I am, too although I left many years ago. However, I get back several times a year to visit OLD friends. You never get Pittsburgh out of your system, do you?
@Ian, I think you're being a tad dismissive about added sugar to our foodstuffs. While my hair isn't on fire about the issue, I do think it's a matter of concern. I took a 5 minute tour of my kitchen this morning. The sugared PB and the Vinegar are gone as is the sugared breakfast sausage brand that I used to buy. But, there was added sugar in the mustard, mayo, hot dog relish, canned chili, taco seasoning, cocktail (ketchup?), and tartar sauce. As I said it was a cursory search.
While no one has probably never od'd on balsamic vinegar, when is enough sugar enough? When is it too much? When does it start doing real harm?
Old 09-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Hi Oreo12
Wish I could say I'm from Pittsburgh but, I am a Jersey girl, born & raised and still living here. My DBF is from Pittsburgh. He was born & raised there and still lives there. I do agree with you though, you never get Pittsburgh out of your system!! I love it there!!
As I had said, there is sugar in everything! Its really important to read labels and avoid it as much as possible. Most people are ignorant about its ramifications on their health. Puts me in mind of a situation I had last week. My Dad (who is 84 and diabetic, 2 insulin injections a day) had an attack of hypoglycemia. Took him to his Dr. She told him to be sure he carries CANDY, COOKIES OR GRAHAM CRACKERS with him. I just sat there shaking my head Sad, very sad.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #9  

The sugar in balsamic vinegar is from the grapes it is made from, not added sugar. That is a big difference. I love balsamic vinegar for salad and on strawberries. It's worth every carb because it takes so little for the taste to come through.

There are many kinds of vinegar - apple, white (actually made from wheat), wine, balsamic, rice to name just a few.

Always read the label before buying a new product!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #10  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Well, I am at a hotel an an airport in Germany and there are two things on my shopping list before I take my flight back to DC tomorrow: canned baby squid and more balsamic vinegar. Both awesome diet foods that happen to be pretty good for you too.

At $90 for 3 ounces, it's gotta be the most expensive way to get fat! Let's just say I'm not that worried about this one.

Last edited by IanG; 09-27-2014 at 04:47 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #11  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
The sugar in balsamic vinegar is from the grapes it is made from, not added sugar. That is a big difference.
Agree with this 100%! It would be helpful if labels gave more info re sugar, such as how much ADDED sugar. I've read that sugar in fruit occurs in a matrix of fiber so its fate in our digestive tracts & bloodstreams is different than that of refined sugars that are added during manufacture.

That said, I'm curious about balsamic vinegar's sugar....Isn't it what is left over after fermentation process that makes wine? in that case, there might be free glucose floating around. Guess it's time to go to a local winery and ask the chemists

fwiw, Ideal Protein, a VLC diet restricts to only apple cider vinegar during weight loss phase because of the carb issue.

Last edited by mars735; 09-28-2014 at 09:22 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #12  

I ended up buying Paul Newman's Olive Oil and vinegar salad dressing. there is no sugar in it. While I have quite a sweet tooth, there are foods that I dislike if they taste sweet to me. Balsamic vinegar on my salad, for instance. Peanut butter is another one, as is, bottled spaghetti sauce. And, for the most part, I am talking about added sugar. I stopped using a breakfast sausage because it had sugar in it. That was a strange discovery!
Old 10-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #13  

PS: I don't know anything about the Ideal Protein VLC diet. If anyone cares to enlighten me or can send me to a website, I would much appreciate the help and info.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7.5"

Default balsamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
The sugar in balsamic vinegar is from the grapes it is made from, not added sugar. That is a big difference. I love balsamic vinegar for salad and on strawberries. It's worth every carb because it takes so little for the taste to come through.

There are many kinds of vinegar - apple, white (actually made from wheat), wine, balsamic, rice to name just a few.

Always read the label before buying a new product!
Balsamic V- Great news about the sugar. Thanks
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

I would never let anyone take my balsamic vinegar away from me. It made me not abhor brussel sprouts as an adult. For that, I believe it deserves a medal.
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote