Old 06-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #1  
It is what it is...

Default Upping Carbs

Well even though I still have a lot more weight to lose I think I am stopping induction …it’s just too strict for me and I end up only having the will power to stay on it for like 3 days at a time, and then I binge on sugar …so I’m gonna start adding in some low sugar fruit ( just berries ) and the occasional low carb tortilla ( or corn, they are pretty low, the smaller ones ), my smoothies …and see if that can keep me a little more on the right path …I am gonna try to keep around 50-70 carbs a day.

Has anyone jumped up that high after and still losing ? I know each person’s body is different but just wanting to hear some results.

Also is 50-70 carbs a day still considered low carb ? Thought I read somewhere that anything under 100 was considered low carb.

Thanks,
Carri
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:31 PM   #2  
It is what it is...

47 views and no one has any ideas or experience ? lol
Old 06-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I don't believe in set numbers for carbs because we all have different sensitivities.

For me, it varies day to day. Some days it's 20. some days it's 50 and some it's about 100. I don't restrict vegetables or most fruits. I just stay away from things like bread, potatoes, rice, etc. When I do, the cravings stay away.

So, that's for me... Oh, and I still count calories as I don't have a very good "I'm full" button. You can always tweak here and there. if you notice cravings returning, then something is off. You SHOULD be able to low carb without having sugar cravings. If you do, you are either eating too little, not getting enough sleep, or eating too many carbs. But you need to test it out for yourself.... or slowly lower them or raise them.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satine View Post
Well even though I still have a lot more weight to lose I think I am stopping induction …it’s just too strict for me and I end up only having the will power to stay on it for like 3 days at a time, and then I binge on sugar …so I’m gonna start adding in some low sugar fruit ( just berries ) and the occasional low carb tortilla ( or corn, they are pretty low, the smaller ones ), my smoothies …and see if that can keep me a little more on the right path …I am gonna try to keep around 50-70 carbs a day.

Has anyone jumped up that high after and still losing ? I know each person’s body is different but just wanting to hear some results.

Also is 50-70 carbs a day still considered low carb ? Thought I read somewhere that anything under 100 was considered low carb.

Thanks,
Carri
Guess the only way you'll know if it works for you would be to try it

To be honest, I've never jumped up that high with my carbs. But, that isn't saying it won't work for you.

And yes, 50-70 carbs a day is still considered low carb

All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #5  
It is what it is...

Thanks Ladies

Melissa - in my mind that's how I want to eat also ...just giving up the rice, pasta, potatoes etc and keeping to meats, veggies and fruits ...I think that will help me stay on the straight and narrow

JerseyGyrl - yeah I'll just up them and still if I'm still losing pretty good after a week or two, if not I'll just drop them by maybe 10 each week until I get into the sweet spot.

Carri
Old 06-26-2014, 06:02 AM   #6  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Many scientists/researchers/theorists say that anything under 100g/day is considered low carb. (Most people eat 200-300g/day or more.)

I average 65g/day and my carbs are primarily from veggies, fruits, and dairy. I occasionally have grains/starchy carbs but rarely and in very limited portions. I've never done Atkins low, like 15g/day, so I don't know how an increase would affect you. I've pretty much stayed at the same amount ever since I started eating this way.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:16 AM   #7  
diamondgeog

I guess I am an odd fish. I never followed a plan or counted anything. But I've lost way more than I imagined and still continue to loose. Just choose low carb foods and let my body do its thing.

Now I am starting sprinting now which is awesome. And skipping some meals because just so profoundly unhungry now so often. I think once you become fat adapted and get some regular exercise, body will find its best weight.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #8  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satine View Post
JerseyGyrl - yeah I'll just up them and still if I'm still losing pretty good after a week or two, if not I'll just drop them by maybe 10 each week until I get into the sweet spot.
Carri, not sure if you are aware or not, but, your strategy sounds very much like Atkins OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss) & Pre-Maintenance.

Upping your carbs is exactly what Dr. Atkins advised in OWL. In OWL, you begin with adding more veggies & salads in 5 additional carb increments. Dr. Atkins refers to this as "the power of five." You try this for a few days to a week and proceed to the next rung of the carb ladder. The carb ladder is as follows:
Rung 1 - More salads and other vegetables on the acceptable foods list
Rung 2 - More cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
Rung 3 - Seeds and Nuts
Rung 4 - Berries
Rung 5 - Wine and other spirits low in carbs
Rung 6 - Legumes
Rung 7 - Fruits other than berries and melons
Rung 8 - Starchy Vegetables
Rung 9 - Whole grains
Doing this will help you to determine your personal CCLL (Critical Carbohydrate Level for Losing). Note I said your personal as everyone's is different depending on how they respond to different foods.

From OWL you would proceed to Pre-Maintenance. Again, you would up your carbs of certain foods by 10 carb increments. Dr. Atkins referred to this as "the power of ten". It is as follows:
1. Nuts
2. Starchy Vegetables
3. Legumes
4. Fruit
5. Grains
The purpose of this is for you to determine your personal CCLM (Critical Carbohydrate Level for Maintenance). This will tell you how many carbs you can personally tolerate to maintain your weight loss.

I think one of the unknown things about Atkins is that you don't HAVE to begin with Induction. For various reasons, lots of people don't do Induction. You can begin with OWL. Weight loss may be a bit slower but, if you follow it correctly, the weight will come off.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best! You go girl!!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 06-26-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #9  
Less of a Better Me

I did do induction, but only planned to do it for the 2 weeks. I can tolerate most anything for about 2 weeks. But after that you can slowly add in carbs as you tolerate them. Different people end up in a different place.

I personally pay more attention to net carbs (basically carbs minus fiber) and usually average about 85 net carbs a day. But, I'm not terribly carb sensitive. In my case, I do eat grains but just not very many servings and focus on whole grains.

On the bingeing on sugar thing -- I find that I do much better just banishing certain foods from my house. Foods that I have difficulty controlling how much I eat are just foods that I don't buy for my house.

Last edited by Koshka; 06-26-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #10  
Larry's Angel

[/FONT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka View Post
I did do induction, but only planned to do it for the 2 weeks. I can tolerate most anything for about 2 weeks. But after that you can slowly add in carbs as you tolerate them. Different people end up in a different place.

I personally pay more attention to net carbs (basically carbs minus fiber) and usually average about 85 net carbs a day. But, I'm not terribly carb sensitive. In my case, I do eat grains but just not very many servings and focus on whole grains.

On the bingeing on sugar thing -- I find that I do much better just banishing certain foods from my house. Foods that I have difficulty controlling how much I eat are just foods that I don't buy for my house.
I did an extended Induction because I had a lot of weight to lose. I didn't get bored with my food choices because of Linda's low carb recipes (they are a Godsend!). At this point, I am doing Atkins 10+ years now, I know what I can eat and what I can't. My average is 40-45 carbs (net carbs) per day.

I don't buy things or bring things into my home that I can't eat because my mentality is "if its not here, I can't eat it".

Its funny how we are all different but, in a lot of ways we are all pretty alike.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #11  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I'm on about 100 carbs a day (oats, honey, some dried fruit). When I went lower I could not exercise as effectively. So it became a game of swings and roundabouts as I could not exercise as hard to keep losing.

In the end I opted for more carbs so I can work out harder which makes me fitter and my body look better.

Last edited by IanG; 06-26-2014 at 04:37 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #12  
It is what it is...

Thanks everyone, sorry I haven't checked back - I've basically been eating whatever I wanted for the last three weeks and the scale shows it ...I'm gonna get back into lower carb eating this weekend ...I'm still gonna leave out bread, pasta, potatoes, etc ...I'm just gonna incorporate some fruits and maybe some higher carb veggies ...I do have insulin resistance so hoping upping my carbs won't make me stall ...maybe I'm gonna aim for 60-80 carbs per day for a while and see how I do with that.

Carri