3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

Mind-blowing article on low carbs and cancer

Old 06-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
diamondgeog

Default Mind-blowing article on low carbs and cancer

And mind-blowing is not an overstatement. I actually knew most of this and of course anyone with anyone going on or connected to anyone with something going on has to research, research, research and talk to doctors.

But everyone should read this article. As I said I personally have heard this for the past 6 months or so but this is one of the better popular articles I've seen.

http://www.examiner.com/article/low-...homas-seyfried
Old 06-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Disappointed I am not able to open this link. I would be very interested in reading what it has to say.

My Silence Could Mean You Are Not Worth The Argument.

Make No Mistake Between My Personality And My Attitude. My Personality Is Who I Am. My Attitude Depends On Who You Are.

Still Going Strong On Atkins Since April 13, 2004

Before & After Pics: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../Kimatlake.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...1/IMG_0403.jpg
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
diamondgeog

Hum. Just checked and it worked for me. Google Samantha Chang examiner cancer and you should bring it up in any browser.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:58 AM   #4

S/C/G: 235 / 190 / 165

The link worked for me.

Seyfried is really interesting. Do note that his ketogenic diet is really hard core, beyond Atkins and what most low carb dieters do, it has not only low carbs but also quite restricted protein and in particular total energy intake (calories) is very low. All his trials have been done on that type of ketogenic diet, not just the typical "low carb" fare.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

With my DBF being diagnosed with multiple myeloma in February and just finishing 4 rounds of chemo & facing a stem cell transplant in the not too distant future, this is a thread I am especially interested in.
When he was diagnosed, at the advice of his chiropractor (who has also been schooled in nutrition), he immediately began an anti-inflammatory diet. This basically consists of lots of veggies, salads, fruits, very occasional red meat, plenty of chicken & fish, eggs. With the exception of oatmeal, he has eliminated grains. He has eliminated sugar & caffeine. He purchased a Ninja blender and makes green smoothies most mornings for breakfast. All of this is working well for him and I am extremely proud of him for doing it.
While I myself do & have been doing a ketogenic diet (Atkins) for 10+ years, I have read conflicting reports on its effects on cancer. Unfortunately, speaking with most (not all) oncologists only adds to the frustration. Most will advise to "eat healthy". Do you have any idea of what some people's definition of healthy is???
The diagnosis of cancer is devastating and overwhelming to say the least. There is lots of conflicting information. I personally believe eliminating grains & sugar from one's diet is beneficial not only to cancer but, to all health issues. That being said, here is another perspective when it comes to cancer & ketogenic diets
http://www.chrisbeatcancer.com/dr-go...et-for-cancer/
Dr, Seyfried is mentioned in that article.
Very confusing for sure!

Make No Mistake Between My Personality And My Attitude. My Personality Is Who I Am. My Attitude Depends On Who You Are.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
diamondgeog

As I understand it, cancer cells don't have mitochondria so they need glucose to survive. Give them no glucose, they die. I know that sounds way too simple.

I would say eat red meat, but I am not a doctor. It's that old baseless fear of saturated fats totally disproven. Red meat is about the most nutrient dense food you can get. I would definitely want it in my diet if I was sick with anything.

And I barely eat fruit now. I suppose the fruit is more fructose then glucose and sucrose, so maybe it is OK.

Glad he is doing well. The mind-blowing part is all those billions of dollars and perhaps lives lost because there wasn't any money in just telling people to cut out sugar. Just a mind blowing greedy tragedy if this turns out true.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #7

S/C/G: 235 / 190 / 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
With my DBF being diagnosed with multiple myeloma in February and just finishing 4 rounds of chemo & facing a stem cell transplant in the not too distant future, this is a thread I am especially interested in.

Unfortunately, speaking with most (not all) oncologists only adds to the frustration. Most will advise to "eat healthy". Do you have any idea of what some people's definition of healthy is???

That being said, here is another perspective when it comes to cancer & ketogenic diets
http://www.chrisbeatcancer.com/dr-go...et-for-cancer/
Dr, Seyfried is mentioned in that article.
Very confusing for sure!

JerseyGyrl - I'm very sorry to hear about your boyfriend's diagnosis - I had no idea you were dealing with this.

I don't think cancer docs know any more about nutrition than other docs, unfortunately - and yes, the "healthy" diet advice is worse than useless! A great way to justify however you want to eat in fact...

That article is indeed extremely confusing.

I faced cancer five years ago and read all I could at the time, and ultimately decided that eating carbs (sugars in particular) was just stupid with cancer. But I never went all that in depth (I was lucky and my cancer was caught early and completely removed with surgery, no chemo or radiation needed). Still, it's a constant concern in the back of my mind, especially as I have young kids.

Seyfriend's work is worth looking into in some more detail, because I think what he actually says is far more nuanced (and scientific) than low-carb advocates like to proclaim. He has only studied his keto approach in a small number of cancers, and he doesn't believe it will work for all kinds (apparently it's most promising for brain, and potentially other neuro stuff - which would be logical if you follow the epileptic/keto connection, what Terry Wahls has been able to do for her MS being ketogenic, etc). And his definition of "ketogenic" is far stricter than "low carb" and Atkins - its quite low protein and low calorie (he insists the low calorie component is essential, by the way).

Wishing you and your DBF all the best as you navigate this challenge.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

Sorry to interrupt but how does this work physiologically? Regardless of what you eat, your body has to keep a blood sugar level above a certain threshold. Without it, you go into a coma. So if cancer feeds off of glucose, then it would use the glucose in your blood to feed itself, no?

I'm sorry to hear about your DBF JerseyGyrl and wish him the best.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
Larry's Angel

Thank you all
There is a saying....You grow through what you go through. If there is any truth to that at all, DBF & I are 10 feet tall!!! Together he & I have got this!

Old 06-24-2014, 10:45 PM   #10
Just Me

So I did a little searching and found one study that seems to be the largest to try a ketogenic diet for cancer. Their conclusion was that ketogenic diets are safe for patients with advanced cancer but it didn't actually improve the cancer for the patients.

this article breaks down the various studies regarding ketogenic diets and cancer.
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...ts-for-cancer/
Old 06-26-2014, 04:16 AM   #11
Larry's Angel

As I said, there are many conflicting reports on the effects of a ketogenic diet regarding cancer. Makes it very difficult for someone who is battling cancer to know which to believe or not believe. With chronic inflamation being the probable root cause of cancer, I feel confident in my DBF's choice to do an anti-inflammatory diet. And while an anti-inflammatory diet also restricts sugar (which cancer thrives on), as well as grains, it seems to be a win win situation for him.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl : 06-26-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
Just Me

That is positive JerseyGirl, I think obviously there are two focuses. One being, what ways do we prevent and treat cancer as a whole? And how does an individual with cancer help treat their own cancer? Without conclusive evidence, I think whatever makes someone feel better and they believe will help is the path they personally should follow.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
And how does an individual with cancer help treat their own cancer? Without conclusive evidence, I think whatever makes someone feel better and they believe will help is the path they personally should follow.
I completely agree Nelie. The diagnosis of cancer is devastating to say the least. That being said, none of us can say what we would or wouldn't do until we, God forbid, are placed in that situation. While we may not always agree with the decisions made, we must learn to respect them for the sake of the person battling this dreadful disease.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
Just Me

Pattience, I think you misread the context of that statement. The context being that someone personally believing ketogenic diets have science behind them in terms of improvement in cancer but the overall result being that people don't cure cancer with it.

I don't believe a diet can cure cancer alone but I think diet can help as well as the will to survive. The psychosomatic connection we have between belief and our body is pretty amazing. I'm not saying you can get rid of your cancer because you believe you can but belief can help in your overall process. If you've ever seen hope leave someone who has a terminal disease, it is a horrible thing.

As for people getting treatment, that is a very personal issue. Parental instinct is very strong in some people or the love of a significant other and they fight for their loved ones, not for themselves. And some cancers are very easy to treat and we are getting better with others. I know I wouldn't go down without a fight and I'd want to fight for those who are in my life more than myself.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #15
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Pattience, I think you misread the context of that statement. The context being that someone personally believing ketogenic diets have science behind them in terms of improvement in cancer but the overall result being that people don't cure cancer with it.

I don't believe a diet can cure cancer alone but I think diet can help as well as the will to survive. The psychosomatic connection we have between belief and our body is pretty amazing. I'm not saying you can get rid of your cancer because you believe you can but belief can help in your overall process. If you've ever seen hope leave someone who has a terminal disease, it is a horrible thing.

As for people getting treatment, that is a very personal issue. Parental instinct is very strong in some people or the love of a significant other and they fight for their loved ones, not for themselves. And some cancers are very easy to treat and we are getting better with others. I know I wouldn't go down without a fight and I'd want to fight for those who are in my life more than myself.
I'm with you Nelie, I don't believe diet alone can cure cancer. That being said, I do believe proper diet can strengthen the body as well as the immune system. In the instance of my DBF, the treatment is 4 initial rounds of chemo followed by an autologus stem cell transplant. The chemo he's already received as lowered his white blood cell count (thank God, not severly). The Melphalan he will receive prior to the actual transplant will wipe out his immune system completely. He adapted to make radical changes to his diet to boost his immune system and be as strong as possible going into this process. The diet nor the transplant are by no means a cure for his cancer. They are simply being done as treatment to live the best life possible with this disease.

I am very proud of what he has already accomplished during all this devastation. He has continued to maintain a very positive attitude and a positive attitude counts greatly when you are battling cancer or any other serious illness.

Last edited by JerseyGyrl : 06-27-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.