Old 07-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Default I'm miserable, but I'm OP

Allow me to have a giant pity party for a moment.

I gave up grains and sugar about 6 weeks ago. I'm eating less, and working out, and I'm miserable. Food and the internet were the only thing I liked, and I've cut way back on my computer time because of course, it's not good for me to sit all the time. Everything I enjoyed is bad for me. I loved cooking and eating, looking for recipes, and now I go nothin. Food has lost all appeal for me because all the food I like has some kind of grain of sugar. We eat boring meat and vegetables now. It tastes OK but a lot of the pleasure has gone out of my life. I hate exercising. The machines are boring and the classes are confusing.

I have 3 kids, 3 cats, a dog, and I'm taking care of my father-in-law who has dementia (and I intensely dislike him).

I have been trying to think of something I could do for fun, and I can't think of anything. What do you do for fun?

Anyway, this is a really tough transition, and I hope I can find some joy soon.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 95.6/75.6/65.6

Height: 165

How about a walk? I walk with another mum friend of mine each morning after school drop off and it's a great chat/debrief/exercise. I don't really do anything for 'fun' (how sad is that!?!) and I can't even think what I'd like to do for fun, maybe shop? Not much help sorry!
fitnhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

Height: 5'5"

Since you like cooking you should look into some new low carb recipes and try experimenting. You can look up Linda's low carb recipes, there are so many options to try.
As far as exercise, I personally enjoy the classes and I agree the machines are boring. Maybe you can try finding a workout buddy, but word of caution, if your buddy becomes unmotivated and stop showing up, it can really rub off. Also don't give up so easily on those classes, it can take going several time (sometime several months, depending in the level of difficulty) before you catch on and know what you are doing. Either way, good luck and I hope you find what works for you soon.
ShaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #4  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Maybe incorporating your kids and/or dogs into your workouts would be more fun and effective for all of you?

I agree about finding new, exciting low-carb recipes. It doesn't have to be boring meat and veggies. Hopefully you will discover some new things that you will learn to love.

Good luck to you!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

Hello! I understand you so well! I also always loved to cook. But i have found the way out - I continue to cook but just use other ingredients! In the internet there are so many healthy recipes with "good" food. just look around the google;-) I do also think exercising is boring;-( But i found the way out too!! swimming, walking, riding a bycicle - it's so much fun!! i started to read a lot - i dive into the world of new book and forget about the time, about the food;-) i started to draw, watch lessons in the internet;-) i think you can find plenty of things to do and to have fun!wish you all the best hon!
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #6  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I love to cook too and I have just shifted what I make.

I love reading cooking blogs (though honestly I hate the "blog" part and skip over that, just looking at recipes). I also love checking out cookbooks from the library! Yes, the good old-fashioned library. I really enjoy the books themselves, especially if they have photos. I just photocopy the recipes I like (or in rare cases, if it is a cookbook that has a lot of things I like, I go on Amazon and try to find a used copy there).

RE: classes, I have had good ones and bad ones. Usually I am a loner in them regardless, but they do kick my butt in ways I am not able to do myself... some can be confusing, like zumba or body pump, as it seems like everyone else has been doing it forever. I just give up and admit to myself that yes I am going to look like an idiot but I don't care . That helps a little.

RE: internet. I do watch a lot of Netflix movies and TV shows and TED talks... I just try to be doing something else at the same time - some exercises, folding clothes, washing dishes, whatever. Then at least boring chores can become more "fun"

Good luck to you!

Last edited by EmmaD; 07-30-2014 at 12:37 PM.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

There are some phenomenal low-carb recipes out there. It sounds like you have gone Paleo or some version thereof. Mark Sisson's site "MarksDailyApple.com" has recipes often, and there are some truly fantastic Paleo recipe books out there. For example, check out this little sample of deliciousness: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/lamb-...#axzz38o23dn4M

I do feel your pain- I, too, love grains but I simply cannot lose weight if I'm eating grain or higher carb diets. I also love to cook, and also love to eat. So it can be tough.

My suggestion would be to learn how to make sauces - some Asian and Middle Eastern cuisines use sauces that have no grains but instead use things like coconut milk. Learn to love the B.A.S. (Big A** Salad) and experiment with eggs, etc. If you can still have cheese, use it! Cheese is like bacon- it makes everything better. Really get into spices. Learn to love stir-fry!

And embrace some new hobbies. Find something that brings you joy, whether it's hiking, walking through the mall, jogging, playing soccer, playing softball, knitting, crocheting...whatever!

If you haven't already, see if Meetup.com has any Meetup groups in your area. I have really opened up my life by joining an all-ladies hiking group here in Alaska. I get out hiking and even backpacking with them, and it's all women so it's not intimidating to me and keeps the hubby happy. Haha.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #8  

Height: 4'11"

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I appreciate it! I will keep looking for good low carb recipes and try to find something fun to do. I was looking at a video on making polymer clay beads, that looked pretty interesting. I'm sure I can find something, I just have a big void in my life without the foods I love.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #9  

I, too, love cooking and fooling around on the internet. I like to walk and suggest that to you. Here's my pity party: I used to run-can't do that anymore because of arthritis. Went to walking but my podiatrist doesn't want me to do that because the arthritis is so bad in my feet now. Anyway, a walk is good. What about reading? There are so many good books. I also recommend movies. I don't see anything disturbing, though. I especially liked "All You Need Is Love" with pierce Brosnan. I would also recommend Chef and the new Helen Mirren movie although both of those are about food.
I'm a senior citizen but lately I've started watching YouTube blogs on makeup, etc., then buying some new makeup and fooling around with it. I especially like Hot And Flashy.
good Luck. My husband has dementia so in many ways I really do feel your pain.
Oreo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #10  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

I recommend All Day I Dream About Food for low carb baking!
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

If you have enough money to spring for a treadmill, you can have your computer time while you walk! I strongly recommend it. You don't need a special "walking" treadmill"; I have a jury-rigged platform that I put mine on. I think there are some laptop holders for treadmills that you can buy.

I like walking outside when conditions are right, but I I can jump on the treadmill for a half hour several times a day.

HTH, or you find something that works well for you!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #12  
nerdy brown princess

S/C/G: 186/166/135

Height: 5'6

Are you getting enough fat in your diet? Low carbing is difficult if you're not eating high fat.. you will feel tired, depressed, lack of energy, etc.
Oohpujie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/165/165

Height: 5'9"

I've never EVER enjoyed food more on low carb high fat. Butter, steak, veggies, wild fish, dark chocolate, macadamia nuts, heavy cream, butter, cheese. Oh the cheese. Now I am 'Primal' not Paleo because I have dairy. I don't have milk though.

If meat and veggies are boring I would say invest in a cookbook and/or cooking classes. Or just go online. The low carb community is so passionate about health and food there are thousands upon thousands of free, yummy recipes online. It has reinvogorated our cooking because using new ingridients, making delicious things without grains is so much fun. And doable. Especially deserts and bread like stuff. And I am super excited that I now enjoy bitter and so many more tastes. Once you get away from sugar for long enough, your tastebuds come alive.

Give it time. I had a great first month transition period. But it took me 3 to 4 months to really no longer feel hunger ever and just be rock solid no more sugar carb cravings whatsoever. But by far the best thing I ever did.

Also I do 2 or 3 10 minute strength sessions a week at home and just move around. I am starting to get a 6 pack at 49. Everything we think we know about exercise is wrong. I highly suggest going to Mark's Daily Apple and signing up for the email. He does not spam you. You will get cookbook downloads and an exercise download for free. Then over two weeks he sends out emails with all his key concepts.

Last edited by PrimalLarry; 10-10-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: to get the length of strength sessions correct.
PrimalLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

if you can, experiment with different types of exercises. i hit on free weights, and after i got used to them and got the basics of form down, i loved it more than anything else i've tried. i get to try to lift MOAR every time i go in which is so much fun for me.

keep trying new things until you hit on something that you find yourself enjoying.aqua-aerobics, jazzercize, belly dancing, olympic weightlifting,...there are so many fun options.

what sorts of cuisines do you love? thai? chinese? mexican? i will try and hunt down some good recipes if you give me favorite ingredients/flavors that you can try.
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #15  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

Height: 5'3"

Sorry you're having such a hard time. I know how hard that transition is. I actually went vegan for a year to try to heal my IBS since no doctor could help me, tada I healed myself. But that year was tough. I'm a fish/chicken/cheese/cheese/cheese LOVER!! I basically am like you, I spend a LOT of time looking up recipes and cooking. I just decided I'd make the same recipes but alter them to my own needs. I also have a soy, bean and wheat allergy, so it was definitely a challenge!

For me, I am on disability and the days can get boring for me. I spend a lot of time on Pinterest, it's kind of a time-waster but it's fun. I knit, sew and crochet so I spend time looking up patterns and how-to's on YouTube. I write poetry and I'm in the midst of writing a fiction novel. I also paint. I found Bob Ross's shows online and I follow his method, it's fun and easy and the results are awesome, even if you think you can't paint!

As for exercise, I was always a loner at the gym. Headphones and baseball cap, no hellos, just wanted to go in, get out and get done. I can't afford the gym anymore, so I bought myself a spinning bike, which I really like. I watch Netflix while I'm on the bike, it passes the time because it can get boring. I also bought a mini-trampoline (rebounder) and I jog on there to music, it's fun and easier on the knees than a treadmill, imo. I have dumbbells and ankle weights at home and my weight workout is about 35 minutes, 3x a week. I have a yoga mat and gear so I can do yoga daily when I wake up and some pilates.

It's a learning curve to find your groove, it took me a few years, but I found what I liked.

I'm not longer a vegan, but I learned a lot about food and my own taste and desires during that time. There are some things I won't give up, like a sweet coffee and red wine. I know those both have sugars, but this is a lifelong change, so I'm not going to deprive myself for any reason. I know my weight loss will be slower than most, but I'm feeling fine about it as long as I don't surpass moderation.
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote