3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

My low carb high fat success story with pics

Old 04-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #1

Default My low carb high fat success story with pics

http://www.examiner.com/article/man-...togenic-diet-1

This got published a day ago and I thought it might be of interest. It is always good to have a picture to see hey not just blowing smoke.

There are so many reasons I am a low carb high fat advocate. And the article has links to a lot of good people and resources. There is also a part two link at the bottom with all of what I wrote.

But I will boil it down to two or three simple things: carbs make many people hungry. They spike insulin production which then causes food to be stored as fat. As long as they are present your body will not tend to burn your stored fat as fuel because it has carbs to burn.

So lets see what I just wrote: for many carbs make you hungry. They tend to have food you eat stored as fat. If you eat them you aren't likely to burn your fat.

They are the perfect, PERFECT, way for most not only humans but mammals to become overweight and stay overweight. How do we 'fatten up' livestock? We feed them grains.

Now people will have different amounts of carbs their body can handle and that allows them to get and stay healthy. That is absolutely true. But I truly believe 8 out of 10 people on 3FC would benefit from focusing on carb reduction and then going from there. And upping the good fat.

Will everyone succeed on low carb high fat? No. But not everyone will succeed on any approach. I choose low carb because of the science and the success stories I found. No other approach, to me, seemed to even come close in terms of having the science background this did.

Anyhow good luck to everyone and I hope you enjoyed the story and links.

Restart: May 1, 2013 at 285. HW 340
diamondgeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:59 AM   #2
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Thanks for sharing!

Start 3/25/14
Mini goals #1: Onederland! -MET! 4/11 #2: 10% loss = 189.8 -MET! 5/20 #3: Pre-pregnancy weight (173)

My blog: http://shannonssliceoflife.blogspot.com/
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:46 AM   #3

S/C/G: 235 / 182 / 179

Thanks for sharing that! Diamondgeog!

Quite an accomplishment, and you look great, healthy and younger!
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #4

Thanks. I feel great. Who knows how many high quality decades I have added?

It is kind of ironic in that I've heard about 'diet miracles' for years. Well for me low carb really was less hunger and lead to me becoming fat adapted and burning my stored fat. So pretty much a real-life actual 'miracle'.

And overall it wasn't that hard for a few reasons. My appetite dropped like a rock away from carbs. I still had plenty of delicious food. And I was feeling so much better even at 15-20 lbs lost that it was worth it in real terms right from the beginning.

I do have dairy. I've heard people say that can make it easier to stay on low carb and keep up your metabolism. Little milk and yogurt though. Mostly cheeses and cottage cheese, cream, butter. Sour cream. The lower carb dairy.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 04-09-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #5

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Congratulations; you look great, and I'm glad you feel great too! Thanks for sharing your story!!!

yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Bravo!

w1: 11 lbs; w2: 4 lbs; w3: 3.6 lbs; w4: 5 lbs; w5: 5 lbs;w6: 2.4 lbs; w7: 1.4lbs; w8: 6lbs ; w9: 1lb w10: 4.6 lbs w11: 0lbs w12: 5 lbs; w13: 2 lbs w14: 4 lbs ; w15: no w.i.; w16: 11.5 lbs ; w17: 1 lb; w18: 2.5 lbs; w19: 2 lbs; w20: .5; w21: no w.i.; w22: 9 lbs; w23: 3.5 lbs ...

No longer morbidly obese! Total loss now = 108 lbs. With thanks to the Ideal Protein Diet (a form of ketogenic nutrition)!

Low carb life is my liberation!

Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
Fat Bastid on a Mission

S/C/G: 277/226/180

Height: 5'6"

Good job, I'm heading down a similar path now (45 already lost and 50 more to go) I say it is not to just look great (remember we are basically going to look like deflated whoopee cushions when we have our shirts off!) I say celebrate the extra 15 years you probably added on to your life expectancy!!
50PoundsTooHeavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

diamondgeog, you are an inspiration!

Persistence is more important than Perfection

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential. - Winston Churchill
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Personally, I think going low carb and eating tons of saturated fat is a road to ruin. Specifically, weight loss but heart problems and clogged arteries later on.

Call it bro science, call it what you want.

But you need to eat good fats. Not bad ones just to save on carbs.

So you guys eat your burgers and bacon and I will eat my oily fish and let's compare notes in a couple of years.

Running because of Diana
Believing because of Sue
Elvis lives!
Getting fashion advice from Sum
ReillyJ and Carpediem saved my knees!
Don't believe the hype. EAT MORE FISH.
If the bar ain't bendin', you're just pretendin'!

Last edited by IanG : 04-10-2014 at 05:20 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #10

Ian I bet my grass fed burgers exceed in health just about anything you eat. And you've made so many assumptions and so many bad ones I can't even begin.

My sources of fat: coconut oil, organic virgin. Grass fed butter a true super food. Beef tallow from US Wellness. Avocado. Macadamia nuts. Chicken skin from organic chicken. Wild caught fish.

I am hyper aware of omega 6 to omega 3 ratios.

What ARE you eating? Do you use vegetable oils?

The burger bacon thing is such a pathetic childish straw man of low carb approaches.

You know what you eat most of on them? Non starchy vegetables and not good but GREAT oils. After all wouldn't people INTENTIONALLY seeking out a high fat diet make sure it was the best sources of fat?

Not sure you intended to do the straw man argument but that is what you did.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #11

And for the love of Gaia man stop sprouting meat causes heart disease nonsense. There was a 2010 article of 348,000 people showing no correlation. Then just out a 650,000 person one. They did make some mistakes on that one but corrected them.

And the longer the Farmington study goes on the more it shows that.

You know how that myth got started? Rabbits. Yes Rabbits. They fed meat to rabbits and they had problems. Guess what? Bad idea to give rabbits meat.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #12

And one more thing because this is important. Size of LDL particles and number of particles more important than just LDL number.

So what does LCHF do? First triglycerides plummet. HDL goes up. LDL can go up or down. But if it goes up it is the large benign particles.

In fact when America eat more fats of what I am eating now, heart disease was basically non-existent. And if you don't think low carbers are not aware of fish that is crazy.

And as I stated you can bet when we go high fat we learn all about fats, heart disease, omega 3, omega 6. We know the flawed studies. We know the meta studies coming out now show no correlation between saturated fat and heart disease. Did you know Sweden heart attacks are dropping as they eat more butter? Think you know as much as the average low carber making this decision based on science on fats and heart attack? Perhaps you do but based on your post summarizing all the incorrect info, arguably not.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #13

Ill say this Ian you are going for the cereal company portrayal of low carb. Most low carbers are probably a lot closer to your oils than you think. And you could learn a lot from the scientists backing low carb high fat and the fats they recommend.

Very sad and ironic heart disease has skyrocketed right along with the fear of fat. We know what we are doing to our hearts Ian. And it's all good.

But I am glad you posted because misconceptions of low carb high fat are killing people. LOTS of people.

Are bodies are not plumbing pipes. Fats and cholesterol don't plug them up like pipes. We EVOLVED to eat fats. The fats I eat protect my heart.

Why do you think there are so many heart attacks around the world now? No single reason but a huge one is fear of fat and the wrong fats like vegetable oils. In fact the last 50 years was basically a gigantic experiment on doing everything wrong on fats.

You got me going Ian but its good because I think it will help people.

Does engine oil 'clog' up a car? No good engine article lubricates and removes bad stuff. Pretty similar to what is happening to my arteries on the good fats I eat. My engine, heart, and body works better for me consuming them. I am a car not a kitchen pipe.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 04-10-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #14

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

DG, I'm sure you'll love this headline. I don't have time to really look into the study; I bring it here "for amusement purposes only."

https://www.ethz.ch/en/news-and-even...erwartung.html

yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #15
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
DG, I'm sure you'll love this headline. I don't have time to really look into the study; I bring it here "for amusement purposes only."

https://www.ethz.ch/en/news-and-even...erwartung.html
Sorry...I don't get the joke.

What's amusing in this Swiss medical news -- good news-- that I am missing?

w1: 11 lbs; w2: 4 lbs; w3: 3.6 lbs; w4: 5 lbs; w5: 5 lbs;w6: 2.4 lbs; w7: 1.4lbs; w8: 6lbs ; w9: 1lb w10: 4.6 lbs w11: 0lbs w12: 5 lbs; w13: 2 lbs w14: 4 lbs ; w15: no w.i.; w16: 11.5 lbs ; w17: 1 lb; w18: 2.5 lbs; w19: 2 lbs; w20: .5; w21: no w.i.; w22: 9 lbs; w23: 3.5 lbs ...

No longer morbidly obese! Total loss now = 108 lbs. With thanks to the Ideal Protein Diet (a form of ketogenic nutrition)!

Low carb life is my liberation!

Last edited by Annik : 04-10-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.