3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

My low carb high fat success story with pics

Old 05-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #61

Hi! You look amazing.

I have been trying to figure out which food plan to go on... right now I'm on Weight Watchers and having a hard time staying committed.

I tried doing a protein-sparing modified fast diet for a couple of months... it was monitored by a doctor. Approximately 800 calories a day and less then 20 carbs. I had to take prescription vitamins and drink bouillon cubes just so I could stay awake. It SUCKED the life out of me.

The healthiest I've been was the 3 years I cut out sugar and wheat completely. I was still eating potatoes, rice, fruit, corn tortillas, etc. I lost weight very slowly, but at least I was able to stick to it.

How many carbs do you eat a day? Do you use any apps to help you count?

Thanks!
Anne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #62
It is what it is...

Loved the article Larry ...I have been following this WOE for two months now and have lost 22 pounds...I'm not quite sure I have my fat ratio down to what it needs to be as I still find I have the low fat mind set from everything I've been taught in the past and I'm sure that is slowing me down at times.

I recently had all my blood work done and my total cholesterol is 123 after eating this way for two months...my triglycerides are down as well ...the most important thing though is that my A1C ( I'm a type 2 diabetic ) is down to 5.3 ...so far I'm a success story ...

I am still learning though and do have questions ...for instance I normally use olive oil when I'm cooking some meat or sauteeing something in a pan ...are you saying it's better for me to use the grass fed butter or coconut oil ( which I bought but haven't used yet ) ?

Carri

Carri

Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #63
diamondgeog

I'm not sure how many carbs I eat. I never once counted. One of the most incredible things of low carb high fat is your appetite plummets. It might take some time and that varies from person to person. But it WILL plummet. Every single person that has stuck through a transition time has reported this. As long as they are high fat not high protein. Cold turkey from bread, pasta, potatoes, junk food, fast food can and does work. Just remember you are likely to feel awful for a few days.

That means it is working. How cool is this? On carbs our bodies need carbs. But when you stop your cells will convert to their natural energy source, fat. But it takes a few days. So worth it though.

Olive oil is great for salads but not cooking. It breaks down. Coconut oil is wonderful for cooking. Butter we sauté veggies and eggs in. I also cook with lard and tallow from US Wellness. Around $13 for a tub that is 2lbs or so. Each tub lasts a long time.

BTW fat is not mostly eating fat itself directly. It is fat from nuts, meat, fish, avocado, eggs, etc. Although I do personally eat coconut oil and butter directly in coffee.

If you were ever hungry all the time like me this is the best thing in the world. I can't describe how unhungry and full I am all the time. Also your mental energy and mood go through the roof. It is around a year now for me and each month gets better and better. Just know we evolved eating fats (not vegetable oils though!) and when we eat them our bodies just thrive.

Also fats get burned. Ironically it is sugar and carbs our bodies turn into fat deposits that hurt arteries. Not direct consumption of fat. And cholesterol is mostly produced by liver round the clock and your diet barely budges it. Except high fat diets are good at upping the HDL.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 05-08-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:33 AM   #64
diamondgeog

BTW I get it on the mental stuff with fat. I didn't try my first coconut oil until January. I read and read about it. When I took my first tablespoon I paused. Because we are taught saturated fat will kill us. But do your research. It was all a big fat lie based on awful science, 7 country study, and politics and money.

Then I applied common sense. When people eat lard, tallow, grass fed butter coconut oil they were not getting obese, heart disease, or cancer for the most part. When they STOPPED those soared. Island populations eating vast amounts of coconut oil have virtually no heart disease.

It needs to be virgin and organic though.

It does rev up metabolism and cuts appetite. I have between 1 and 4 tablespoons daily. One tablespoon has 13 grams saturated fat or 67% RDA. But the RDA is a joke to me. Way too high on carbs. And fat is so filling it self regulates.

Anyhow my cholesterol has barely budged since I upped my fat probably by 5 times. And I bet most of my slight increase, 150 total to 163 is upping HDL. Not sure because the 163 result is from giving blood and they just give one total number.

I posted links to this in another thread, but worth posting again. Fat phobia is dying. http://freetheanimal.com/2014/05/fou...ed-admits.html

BTW I did NOT set out to be low carb high fat. I set out to be healthy. I had a completely open mind and the research led me to LCHF.

I could write a book about why (and I am going to try). Use twitter. Follow @proftimnoakes he is a great follow.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 05-08-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #65
It is what it is...

Thanks so much for the information ...like I said, I'm new to this ( my husband is following too ) and am learning daily ...I did let my husband make our beef short ribs yesterday with the organic coconut oil instead of the regular oil we were using, so I am learning haha ...I also checked out the butter I had and it was junk ...so I'm gonna go look for some grass fed.

We are doing the low carb thing but we are also trying to be smart about what we are putting in our bodies...we eat mostly organic veggies and meats from Whole Foods...I used to not even eat vegetables and since starting low carb I like them actually ...weird.

I will say, and you are exactly right, that my appetite after doing this for a few months now has plummeted ...I'm fuller longer and don't have the "I'm dieting, so I'm starving mood swings" ...and like I said above I'm diabetic so really low carb is the way my body works best anyhow.

Now I have to brush up on the difference between the Omega 3 and 6's ...I'm a little confused by all that, so need to do my research.

Have a good one.

Carri

Carri

Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.