3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

My low carb high fat success story with pics

Old 04-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #46
diamondgeog

Salmon is a good source no doubt. As long as it is wild caught. Have to be aware of possible hazards in cans if you go that way.

I like to have varied sources. Butter has stuff salmon doesn't, coconut oil other stuff. And I thought you were saying saturated fat choices were bad. Good quality meat was bad.

I always admitted salmon was good. Doesn't mean other sources aren't as well.

And omega 6 and omega 3 ratio is very important. I've never had any leg problems. Did have some back pain. Totally went away with going grain free. If you're concerned about anti inflammation to me grain free is the platinum standard.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 04-12-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:17 AM   #47
AlaskaLadyie

S/C/G: Oct2011 240/April2014 203 /167

Height: 5ft 7in

Question diamonggeog I am a very active woman 59 and am wondering about trying this LCHF diet What is the recommendation for setting your % of Fat Carbs and Protein to achieve weight loss... I know from past diets I am carb sensitive as I can gain weight eating fruit . i have been grain additive free since going on the hcg Diet in Oct of 2011.. i lost 73# kept majority of it off for about a year and then the # started creeping back on. I tried a good whole food recommendation and heavy free weight lifting program for Jan and Feb and Gained 10# SO I have been trying IP for the past 2 weeks and am suffering from Horrible Headaches..But have lost the 10#. So am considering this LCHF approach... Just would like some Guide lines as I dont want to gain that 10# back .... Thank you
Old 04-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #48
diamondgeog

It was all so intuitive and experiment based for me. Some people though really can't handle a single piece of fruit.

The most important thing is high fat. Most people don't go high enough and have too much protein. Coconut oil, nuts, grass fed butter, avocado, meats, fish, cheese and other low carb dairy are all good. Many places I go to suggest 70% of calories from fat. Remember 1 gram of fat has 9 calories. Protein and carbs 4 calories. So 70% fat calories is not 70% of your food by weight in fat.

Hydrate, up fat, should start feeling better. I've heard too much protein can make you not feel good also. I'd also get plenty of non-starchy vegetables you like.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #49
AlaskaLadyie

Thank you Diamond .. I am shocked as the scale said 3# less this morning and all i added was 3T Bulletproof MCT oil to my diet yesterday...
I gotta look for grass fed Butter limited on what we have available here in Alaska ... I got not problem eating vegetables I love them .. I am also sorta experimenting with the protein levels to see what works best for me ... I went back to the bullet proof site I had been there before but as I recall I was still eating high Carbs when I tried the bulletproof coffee idea before ... I'll stay in touch with this NEW journey I am entering ... Thank you so much
Old 04-13-2014, 11:48 PM   #50
AlaskaLadyie

I found Organic unsalted butter not for sure it is grass fed butter But i bet it is a better alternative..I also was amazed how satisfied i was at eating more Beef roast and less veg for supper I felt full and was satisfied ...prior to this i have been feeling starved hungry after a meal.. Feeling blessed
Old 04-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #51
AlaskaLadyie

I ate 2oz of Macadamia nuts to my mid morning snack and feel stuffed.... it is so strange cause I used to eat like a whole huge stock of celery at the same time and I would be starving in 10 minutes after the celery... I am like amazing my self
Old 04-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #52
AlaskaLadyie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
It was all so intuitive and experiment based for me. Some people though really can't handle a single piece of fruit.

The most important thing is high fat. Most people don't go high enough and have too much protein. Coconut oil, nuts, grass fed butter, avocado, meats, fish, cheese and other low carb dairy are all good. Many places I go to suggest 70% of calories from fat. Remember 1 gram of fat has 9 calories. Protein and carbs 4 calories. So 70% fat calories is not 70% of your food by weight in fat.

Hydrate, up fat, should start feeling better. I've heard too much protein can make you not feel good also. I'd also get plenty of non-starchy vegetables you like.
Question Diamond ... Why low fat dairy... I really like the High Fat Fage yogurt... I use Almond milk for any milk needed not much used just wondered Why the low fat dairy ????
Old 04-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #53
diamondgeog

Opps posting because big mistake. Low carb dairy HIGH fat. Sorry.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:37 AM   #54
AlaskaLadyie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
Opps posting because big mistake. Low carb dairy HIGH fat. Sorry.
Thank you
Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #55

S/C/G: 289/180.5/150

Height: 5'6"

You look amazing! Congratulations!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:34 AM   #56

S/C/G: 182/145/119 keto

Height: 5ft2in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
A question for those who follow low carb high fat: can you literally eat as much fat as you want?

I know someone who loves butter and I've told him about bullet proof coffee. could he have a pound of butter a week in his coffee and not suffer weight gain/health consequences if he is following the other protocols of the programme?

curious?
I count calories, I think on high cal a lot of people on LCHF stall, they may not gain but they don't lose, he would have to be keeping his carbs quite low to do that, I think some have gained. The calories thing causes a bit of controversy in the keto world!! Personally I think they do count when trying to lose but many would disagree with me! Women especially don't seem to be able to eat as freely as men.
Sheena82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #57
AlaskaLadyie

I have to watch my calories when doing High Fat Low carb along with keeping my carbs low or I will gain... Granted I am an older Woman who has dieted a lot so As Diamond has stated it depends on how fast u want to loose, how much u got to loose, and what age you are, and if u have dieted a lot ....all those and more are factors... Each person has to figure out their individual threshold and go below that if loosing #'s is your victory
Old 04-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #58
Eat Real Food

S/C/G: 275/*ticker*/154

Height: 5'6.5"

Way to go! You look great!

Mini Goals: 252, 244, 235, 229, 224, 219, 211, 204, 199, 195, 190, 185, 180, 175, 170, 165, 160, 155, 150
Nagazim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #59
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
AlaskaLadyie originally posted I have to watch my calories when doing High Fat Low carb along with keeping my carbs low or I will gain... Granted I am an older Woman who has dieted a lot so As Diamond has stated it depends on how fast u want to loose, how much u got to loose, and what age you are, and if u have dieted a lot ....all those and more are factors... Each person has to figure out their individual threshold and go below that if loosing #'s is your victory
Ditto for me, I have to also count the calories. We are close to the same age but I am not highly active because I sit at a desk 5 days a week. On weekends, I try to keep moving. The formula for me to keep losing seems to be about 1200 calories of food and lower than 50 grams net carbs. This produces a slow loss but, at this point, I am happy with slow. But to note that I don't count my coconut oil in the calorie count so the actual total number of calories are higher.

For years I struggled trying to lose on 1200 calories a day. I had great difficulty sticking with 1200 and really would be doing good to just maintain. For much of the past year I lost rapidly (to me) on a low carb diet of about 900 to 1000 calories a day. Now I have reached the point that I just want to be sure that I have a diet that I can live with long term. After being morbidly obese most of my adult life, I would be content to stay at my current weight. I am pretty comfortable eating about 1200 calories of food so we will see where I level out.

I intend for LCHF to be my diet with diet meaning "the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats" -not "a special course of food to which one restricts oneself, either to lose weight or for medical reasons."

Persistence is more important than Perfection

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential. - Winston Churchill
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #60
diamondgeog

Cheryl,

3FC helped me out with the 'diet' phrase problem. I started seeing WOE in posts. I was what is that?

Turns out it stands for Way of Eating. Diet has been so muddled in America, I personally just prefer to use and think of it as WOE now.

And thanks for the look great comments. Sometimes I hardly believe it. But not done yet. Very close to 190 now. Then I will revise down. I think my body will get at least to low 170s. My height is a little over 5'9" BTW. I never intended to hide that, I just never figured out how to add it to my sig.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.