3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

My low carb high fat success story with pics

Old 04-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #31

Jersey,

Great video. I had started it before and now finished it. If you or a loved one eats, must watch. You will never ever take a statin, worry about cholesterol or eating good fats after watching it.

Restart: May 1, 2013 at 285. HW 340
diamondgeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #32
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
Jersey,

Great video. I had started it before and now finished it. If you or a loved one eats, must watch. You will never ever take a statin, worry about cholesterol or eating good fats after watching it.
Glad you enjoyed it It is definitely something everyone needs to watch and heed. Sadly, most people are ignorant about cholesterol and statins are a billion dollar business

Stop The Ignorance....Dr. Atkins Did NOT Die From His Own Diet!

If You Want Something You Never Had...You Must Be Willing To Do Something You've Never Done.

Still Going Strong On Atkins Since April 13, 2004

Before & After Pics: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../Kimatlake.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...1/IMG_0403.jpg
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #33
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I don't fear fats.

Omega 3s are just better fats than saturated fats (and you are really eating the Omega 3s - DG - with your choices, let's face it - else why go grass-fed?).

The other issue is protein. You need to make sure you are getting enough of this to retain/build muscle mass unless you want to look 'gaunt'.

So grass-fed beef ...OK. Grass-fed butter...good luck.

Not that anyone cares, but I try to maximize my protein while obtaining good fats (e.g. omega 3s).

For me, high protein/bad fat (e.g. burgers) is a bad combination as is low protein/good fat (e.g. grass-fed butter).

High protein/good fat (e.g. oily fish and, I concede, grass-fed beef) is just about on the money.

So why eat butter when you can eat salmon instead?

Running because of Diana
Believing because of Sue
Elvis lives!
Getting fashion advice from Sum
ReillyJ and Carpediem saved my knees!
Don't believe the hype. EAT MORE FISH.
If the bar ain't bendin', you're just pretendin'!

Last edited by IanG : 04-11-2014 at 11:36 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #34

S/C/G: 212/157/145

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
And yes that's me in the article.
Hmmm, I was thinking your name was George.

Quote:
Part of the problem is that as a human population, the medical establishment + government (with whatever reliance they give to experts) has treated us as 'one size fits all.'
Absolutely. We all just want to be told what to do so we don't have to think so much for ourselves. The problem with that is obvious no matter what we're talking about. But when we're talking about our health and Big Pharma or Big Food is telling us one thing ONLY because it fits THEIR agenda or lines THEIR purses, well, then my blood really begins to boil.
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:52 PM   #35

Because humans evolved eating fats and butter. Grass fed butter is a true superfood. Salmon is good also. You've been given great resources Ian. You're just on outdated info. Not as bad as some. But you're saturated fat knowledge is outdated.

I am a geographer by training hence the geog.

And another great video.

Will their cookbook revolutionise diet? You decid…: http://youtu.be/mazvUejaKaQ

Old 04-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #36

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Because humans evolved eating fats and butter. Grass fed butter is a true superfood. http://youtu.be/mazvUejaKaQ
Humans evolved eating butter? I truly do not believe that. This is the type of statement that undermines your position.

I guess if you have some reference, I'm open to being proved wrong, but it would be one of the most surprising facts I've ever run across if so.

Regarding fat, I'm sure people evolved eating all the fat they could get their hands on, but I'm not sure how much fat was available, especially in the hotter climates where humans evolved (so no blubbery sea mammals).

Last edited by yoyoma : 04-12-2014 at 08:05 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #37
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

I worked for 8 years in the field of lipoprotein particle research and can agree, fats are not what cause heart disease....doesn't really matter which kind.

Start 3/25/14
Mini goals #1: Onederland! -MET! 4/11 #2: 10% loss = 189.8 -MET! 5/20 #3: Pre-pregnancy weight (173) #4 New swimsuit for beach trip in Sept.

My blog: http://shannonssliceoflife.blogspot.com/
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #38

Of course they didn't evolve eating butter, dah. Or cheese or cottage cheese. But they are animal products and we did evolve eating all parts of animals. And if you're not lactose intolerant you can make lower carb dairy a part of your diet

One theory is grains killed a lot of our ancestors. Those that could process dairy had a rapid evolutionary advantage. There was no such 'easy' mutation that has made grains healthy. Possibly because we had eat meat the switch to dairy was easier. I do not drink milk btw.

I could see why you would misinterpret but c'mon. I'm not going to claim we eat butter a million years ago. But we did animals. And just because butter is newer does not mean it isn't a superfood.

Absolutely wrong type of fat doesn't matter. It matters greatly. Modern vegetable oils will kill you. Coconut oil for instance will greatly enhance health.

The newness part of grains is a factor but not the key factor for me. If they were healthy I'd eat them. If they had been around 5 years or 500,000 years. So butter is a new human post agricultural revolution product. But the key to me is the grass fed variety is SUPER healthy.

Google Sweden butter heart attacks.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/real-assoc...disease-sweden

Last edited by diamondgeog : 04-12-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #39

And another link, I'm having hard time inserting above.

http://blog.sethroberts.net/2014/01/...cks-in-sweden/

And people have eaten eggs a long time.

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodeggs.html

So we were probably much more 'primed' for modern dairy to adapt to. Whereas grains were off the table so to speak and I believe we still haven't adapted to.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 04-12-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #40

DG, I totally agree that people evolved eating whatever they could find as a food source. They did not eat just the likely-very-lean muscle meat of game; they ate all parts including the fatty brain and the contents of the stomach (which was a source of carbohydrates).

To me as a layperson, human evolution speaks of a species that is almost uniquely adaptable to a wide variety of food sources as well as periods of famine.

I did not claim that eating butter causes heart attacks, but I would say that it's hard to use evolution as an argument for making butter (and other fats) the basis of the human diet.

That said, I would suggest that humans have evolved to be adaptable and they are capable of eating a healthy diet that is primarily based on fat. But I believe they are also capable of eating a healthy diet that is based primarily on other sources (carbohydrates and protein).

And if you are going to make any argument based on evolution, using butter in the same sentence seems a bit hypocritical.

Last edited by yoyoma : 04-12-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #41

I agree with a lot of that. And I reread my earlier post and it was poorly phrased.

I think we are finding fat is particularly vital. Did you know 70-90% of cholesterol is produced by the body regardless of diet? We have an almost preset number. I give blood. My last doctor checkup in Sept 2013 my total cholesterol was 150. In March it was 163. Hoping most of that was HDL increase. I've probably increased my saturated fat 5 to 8 times, barely moved my cholesterol.

Good fats are extremely important and vital. I believe evidence is becoming overwhelming. And hey they fill you up and you lose weight. Not a bad combo. A lot of our cell walls are cholesterol. That is why statins mess up so many. Fat and cholesterol are critical for us.

We have NOT evolved to eat sugar. That is VITALLY important for anyone reading this. Before 1850s or so almost no added sugar consumption. In 1820 we had the equivalent of sugar in one 12 ounce coke every 5 days. Total sugar. And then HFCS is GMO. This is why so many suffer. We ARE animals. Any animal fed a truly foreign diet WILL die. That is why we are killing ourselves off with heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and dementia.

Note blood tests don't separate out HDL and LDL so not sure until next physical.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 04-12-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #42

I have no problem with your diet. By the way, I did try out oil pulling on your recommendation (I'm sort of neutral on it) and I tried coconut oil in my decaf dessert coffee last night (I'm probably going to experiment more).

But I often cringe at some of the statements you make.

I don't think that the health impact of HFCS has much to do with the fact that a lot of it today is derived from GM corn. So why throw that in?

"Any animal fed a truly foreign diet WILL die." <- I believe this statement is either wrong or uses such a watered down definition of "truly foreign" as to be meaningless to the conversation at hand. Again, why throw that in?

Last edited by yoyoma : 04-12-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:56 AM   #43

S/C/G: 212/157/145

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
I am a geographer by training hence the geog.
Thx for the explanation!
Quote:
I think we are finding fat is particularly vital. Did you know 70-90% of cholesterol is produced by the body regardless of diet?
People seem to not be as moved by this as I am .. and apparently you are. Gobsmacks me. The body NEEDS cholesterol. That is why it produces it. Yet doctors want everyone to go on statins where the danger can be it does such a good job it robs the body of something it needs to function. How on God's green earth does that make sense to ANYONE? I'm hoping my next chol numbers will "improve", but I still am not a slave to my numbers. I am exercising to improve my overall health and get rid of my visceral fat (it's not happening as fast as I would like, tho), but low chol numbers is just a false sense of security.

The body also needs fats. Even the food pyramid gets that right, that it's essential, but everyone wants to ban fat completely. It just makes no sense to me
Quote:
And hey they fill you up and you lose weight. Not a bad combo. A lot of our cell walls are cholesterol. That is why statins mess up so many. Fat and cholesterol are critical for us
Fatty protein (yum, prime rib) fills me up the best. But even a chicken breast will fill me up pretty good, too. I'm thinking it's more the protein, depending what kind, that does it for me rather than the fat per se.
Quote:
That is why we are killing ourselves off with heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and dementia
The thought of dementia is what's doing it for me. I was never worried about it but my mother has it and now can't remember that Dad died last July. That is chilling.

Last edited by Mad Donnelly : 04-12-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #44

Yeah Mad, dementia is super sad and scary. Way more than enough incentive for me to remain grain free.

YoYoMa fair points. I can't please everyone but fair points. But I do believe the Average amount of sugar consumed qualifies as foreign diet. Perhaps most 3FCers don't do the average. But 'out there' people are dying from their diet clearly.

BTW here is the part 2 of the interview if people missed it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/texa...ketogenic-diet

Old 04-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #45
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
You're just on outdated info. Not as bad as some. But you're saturated fat knowledge is outdated.
Not at all. I get anti-inflammatory effects from Omega 3s. You don't get that with saturated fats. So my knees work better when I run. My oral health is better (a personal observation). And everything is less sore. Hair, skin and eyes look better too.

BTW, grass-fed beef is way over-hyped when it comes to Omega 3s. There are hardly any in it versus salmon, for example!

Running because of Diana
Believing because of Sue
Elvis lives!
Getting fashion advice from Sum
ReillyJ and Carpediem saved my knees!
Don't believe the hype. EAT MORE FISH.
If the bar ain't bendin', you're just pretendin'!

Last edited by IanG : 04-12-2014 at 08:48 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.