3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

My low carb high fat success story with pics

Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #16

S/C/G: 212/157/145

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
And one more thing because this is important. Size of LDL particles and number of particles more important than just LDL number.

So what does LCHF do? First triglycerides plummet. HDL goes up. LDL can go up or down. But if it goes up it is the large benign particles.

In fact when America eat more fats of what I am eating now, heart disease was basically non-existent. And if you don't think low carbers are not aware of fish that is crazy.

And as I stated you can bet when we go high fat we learn all about fats, heart disease, omega 3, omega 6. We know the flawed studies. We know the meta studies coming out now show no correlation between saturated fat and heart disease. Did you know Sweden heart attacks are dropping as they eat more butter? Think you know as much as the average low carber making this decision based on science on fats and heart attack? Perhaps you do but based on your post summarizing all the incorrect info, arguably not.
That's you in the article? Love all your posts in this thread!
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:00 AM   #17
yogini99

S/C/G: 137/125/123

Height: 5'6"

Annik- it looks like glucosamine mimics low carb diet and extends life in mice.
Yogini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:13 AM   #18
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Yes, that's clear from the article. Again...That sounds like good news to me...what is amusing about it?

w1: 11 lbs; w2: 4 lbs; w3: 3.6 lbs; w4: 5 lbs; w5: 5 lbs;w6: 2.4 lbs; w7: 1.4lbs; w8: 6lbs ; w9: 1lb w10: 4.6 lbs w11: 0lbs w12: 5 lbs; w13: 2 lbs w14: 4 lbs ; w15: no w.i.; w16: 11.5 lbs ; w17: 1 lb; w18: 2.5 lbs; w19: 2 lbs; w20: .5; w21: no w.i.; w22: 9 lbs; w23: 3.5 lbs ...

No longer morbidly obese! Total loss now = 108 lbs. With thanks to the Ideal Protein Diet (a form of ketogenic nutrition)!

Low carb life is my liberation!

Last edited by Annik : 04-11-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #19
Started IP May 17, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Personally, I think going low carb and eating tons of saturated fat is a road to ruin. Specifically, weight loss but heart problems and clogged arteries later on.

Call it bro science, call it what you want.

But you need to eat good fats. Not bad ones just to save on carbs.

So you guys eat your burgers and bacon and I will eat my oily fish and let's compare notes in a couple of years.
Sweden has embraced the science of low carb.

w1: 11 lbs; w2: 4 lbs; w3: 3.6 lbs; w4: 5 lbs; w5: 5 lbs;w6: 2.4 lbs; w7: 1.4lbs; w8: 6lbs ; w9: 1lb w10: 4.6 lbs w11: 0lbs w12: 5 lbs; w13: 2 lbs w14: 4 lbs ; w15: no w.i.; w16: 11.5 lbs ; w17: 1 lb; w18: 2.5 lbs; w19: 2 lbs; w20: .5; w21: no w.i.; w22: 9 lbs; w23: 3.5 lbs ...

No longer morbidly obese! Total loss now = 108 lbs. With thanks to the Ideal Protein Diet (a form of ketogenic nutrition)!

Old 04-11-2014, 02:19 AM   #20
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I was not referring to you DG but the article posted and its headline and the reference to saturated fats (which you are clearly not eating).

I don't pretend to know what you eat but simple messages such as cut carbs, eat fat are obviously the wrong ones. It takes a little more than that to maintain healthy weightloss.

Excercise, for a start.

Running because of Diana
Believing because of Sue
Elvis lives!
Getting fashion advice from Sum
ReillyJ and Carpediem saved my knees!
Don't believe the hype. EAT MORE FISH.
If the bar ain't bendin', you're just pretendin'!

Last edited by IanG : 04-11-2014 at 02:23 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #21
diamondgeog

Oh I am eating a lot of saturated fats: they're great. Coconut oil, grass fed butter, nuts, meats, lard, tallow.

All the info on saturated fats is wrong Ian. But I could not agree with you more about exercise.

Don't fear fats! Need to do research Ian.

http://chriskresser.com/the-diet-hea...-not-the-enemy

And yes that's me in the article.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #22
diamondgeog

And low carb high fat isn't eat what you want: we restrict carbs. But you don't have to calorie count because fat is so filling.

That has been AWESOME. My appetite has plummeted. Just one of many reasons it is great.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #23
diamondgeog

People also need to get a better understanding of LDL. The number we are given doesn't give us size of particles or number of particles.

Low carb high fat diets if they raise LDL at all raise the benign large particles.

Any honest heart surgeon will tell you heart attacks happen to people with high LDL, low LDL, medium LDL. The biggest predictor of heart disease is if you have developed diabetes. All these surges in insulin are ultimately leading to heart attacks.

What does low carb do? Minimizes surges in insulin.

This is really crucial stuff. I urge everyone to Goggle more.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #24

S/C/G: 212/157/145

Height: 5' 4"

I just had an internet argument -- why, I dunno. It's always futile -- about saturated fats. I firmly believe that the obesity epidemic started with the proliferation of high fructose corn syrup being put into everything along with the "processed food" era which I identify as starting in the early 70s. Which is all at the same time lovely Ancel Keys was wreaking havoc on all of us. Prior to that, everyone already knew how to eat and they were eating saturated fats, butter, etc. None of that trans fat and "healthy" margarine (something that doesn't melt but should is an abomination).

No one will ever convince me I'm wrong, but I need to get my chol numbers again so I have proof. Either way, I will never go on a statin. I think everyone should read and research for themselves and then make up their own mind and low carb just makes too much sense to me and is, indeed, the only way I can continue to eat healthy. No one trusts my opinion alone and that's fine, but I don't trust people that just blindly follow what their ONE doctor tells them either. Doctors know what they know and most have not read what a lot of us have read. The info is out there but it takes more than just reading a few little articles or listening to a 2 minute blurb on the news.
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #25
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

All this talk about saturated fat, cholesterol, good fats, bad fats etc. has put me in mind of a documentary I watched that seems fitting to mention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pfGTBXkq3g

My Silence Could Mean You Are Not Worth The Argument.

Make No Mistake Between My Personality And My Attitude. My Personality Is Who I Am. My Attitude Depends On Who You Are.

Still Going Strong On Atkins Since April 13, 2004

Before & After Pics: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2.../Kimatlake.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...1/IMG_0403.jpg
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #26

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
Yes, that's clear from the article. Again...That sounds like good news to me...what is amusing about it?
It is (possibly) good news, but I didn't have time to look into the study to see if the headline was just journalistic sensationalism or what. But, I figured DG would be interested in it. My "for amusement purposes only" caveat was intended to convey that I would not take the article as gospel and the headline as fact. I really debated whether I should bring an article like this to his attention because I didn't want him to overstate the case it makes.

I'm low(ish) carb myself and I am very careful with my grain intake (though not grain-free).

But I think overstating the science (which is what brought us the Lipid Hypothesis; let's not make the same mistake in the low carb camp) or repeating hand-wavey arguments (like grains don't want to be eaten=>they are bad for you) can do more harm than good in making the case. I also think that although it's really clear that lots of people benefit from a low carb approach and lots of people benefit from a grain-free approach, there are plenty of people who eat the traditional balanced diet, including grains, even among the successful maintainers at 3fc.

Last edited by yoyoma : 04-11-2014 at 10:50 AM.
yoyoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #27
diamondgeog

Yoyoma,

Some very good points and I want to respond to them.

There is a new documentary out called 'Cereal Killers'. It follows someone wondering why his dad and uncle got heart attacks. They were world-class athletes, rarely drank, and followed the standard diet their entire life. They were not overweight. This lead him to low carb high fat and the damage of grains.

Saying grains don't want to be eaten is a short hand for the more complex arguments. It is NOT WRONG. It IS an oversimplification.

This is also critically important. While wheat is technically not a GMO it has been radically altered in the last 40 years. So that means while I believe people at best marginally tolerated grains before, now there are even more foreign proteins in wheat that our bodies have no idea what to do with.

And while sweet corn is not much of a GMO crop, 90% of the other corn is. Why does this matter? If you get any corn starch, HFCS, etc. you are most likely ingesting a GMO crop.

Professor Noakes in a video I watched last night explained it this way. Like almost anything insulin resistance is on a curve in the population. Some people like him need to be under 25 grams a day or he will gain weight. That is one banana. Maybe someone else can do 150 or even perhaps 200 grams and be fine. But if you are exceeding what is the limit for your body it is almost always going to be virtually impossible to lose weight.

And this is not about maintaining for me, or any weight on the scale. It is about health. Plenty of not-overweight people get heart attacks, diabetes, dementia. I feel personally there is overwhelming evidence that you are vastly more likely to have these or stuff like arthritis, joint pain, etc. if you are consuming grains.

And you can be at your goal weight or even below. Grains are not worth it to me.

So the argument would be that the less insulin resistant person maybe could have 2 to 3 or even 4 pieces of fruit a day. And a potato. BUT if the carbs were coming from grains no matter what their insulin resistance they would still be putting themselves at risk for inflammation which leads to a whole host of bad stuff. I will say also that the inflammation response also varies, but I think the vast majority of humans do respond to grains with inflammation.

As I said above, clearly not worth it to me to do that to my body and health, regardless of my weight.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 04-11-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #28
Started IP May 17, 2013

Part of the problem is that as a human population, the medical establishment + government (with whatever reliance they give to experts) has treated us as 'one size fits all.'

My mom can do Weight Watchers and nicely keep her weight down. Her cholesterol readings, sugars, etc are all fine.

I have done WW several times and while, I can lose for awhile, it takes such will power and sometimes clawing my way through days of the week to stick to the programme ... until I eventually give up. (whoever says overweight people are overweight because of lack of will or laziness don't know how hard some people work at it.)

My mom has no interest in trying the low carb approach. All her health indicators are fine.

On the other hand -- for myself -- when I say in my signature below that Low Carb is my liberation, I mean it. I have never found a way until now that works so well for my system and is so easy to follow (of course it takes some self discipline but there are no clawing days where I am fighting cravings and hunger. I am satiated by what I eat.)

My mom does suffer with some arthritis but it seems not badly enough for her to venture into low carb land. Her choice about it and I honour that. Her suffering isn't so bad that it's unbearable. She does however tend to lean to older style grains or ones that have not been tampered with, eg, spelt, kamut,

My dad was a soil scientist during his career. Buckwheat is very popular where I live and it is an old grain. He says it's never been monkied with by 'the industry' because it grows so easily and well. Doesn't have the same troubles with bugs, weather, etc, that wheat does.

I live in what's called the 'grain belt' of Canada. Many parts of it are not naturally friendly to growing grains and this is what drove the industry to find grains more friendly to production.

We as a human population now reap the benefits or suffer even more if one is the proverbial canary in the gold mine.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #29
Started IP May 17, 2013

A question for those who follow low carb high fat: can you literally eat as much fat as you want?

I know someone who loves butter and I've told him about bullet proof coffee. could he have a pound of butter a week in his coffee and not suffer weight gain/health consequences if he is following the other protocols of the programme?

curious?

Old 04-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #30
diamondgeog

The critical thing is that the butter be grass fed butter. Grass fed butter is a true super food. People should research Mary Enig. It is particularly important to women because it has K2 which is protective against breast cancer.

I crunched some numbers with some assumptions. Many LCHF advocates say you should get 70% of your calories from fat. I am not that high but many are or over. Say 2,000 calories a day. So 1,400 calories from fat. Fat has 9 calories per gram. That gives you fat a day of 156 grams. In a week that would be 1092 grams. There are 454 grams in a pound. So you could have 2.4 pounds of fat a week. Now of course his other food is going to contain fat, but perhaps the numbers can give an idea. I think my wife and I have around pound to perhaps a 1/3 pound of butter each per week. But lots of other fats.

That is a bit sad about your mom, but I understand. People can’t comprehend getting used to until they actually do it. I liken it to going swimming. Some people never get into the pool because it is too cold at first. But those that do go in adjust and then in 2 minutes they are like this is great. It of course takes longer than 2 minutes to go grain free.

It can also be amusing though and tasty, going grain free. Burgers: hands down not even close better going grain free. I love burgers now like never before. The flavors pop without a bun. Salsa. It is pretty amusing when I am at a Mexican restaurant now and I eat the salsa like gazpacho. People are freaked out and I am freaked out by them. I am thinking you’re eating corn AND it was most likely fried in a cheap vegetable oil, oh the omega 6 and grain horrors. My verdict: better. I like spicy foods and it is amazing how much more of the subtle flavors in the salsa you can taste. Guacamole. We get guac without chips now. Verdict: better but close. The guac itself tastes better, but guac does kind of lend itself to a chip texture wise. Tacos: better. We go to a taco place by our house. They offer tacos in a bowl, and they are booming they told me. Verdict: Much better without a tortilla for a couple of reasons. It is easier to see what you are getting so you can control amounts of different elements for tastier bites. And again the tastes pop.

If some bizarre stuff happened and I eat grains again I still would not change the above. And those were probably my biggest ways I eat grains. So healthwise: huge win. Flavor wise: win also. Win-win.

Getting back to the healthy weight but what I feel is serious risk of damage from grains. This is important for people here and loved ones. You CAN get diabetes and not be overweight. In fact the largest source of undiagnosed diabetes is non-overweight people because they think they cannot have. They can and do have it.

http://chriskresser.com/think-skinny...es-think-again

Fat is so filling I haven't had to count calories or anything. It kind of self-regulates automatically once you become fat adapted (your body is able to burn your stored fat).

Last edited by diamondgeog : 04-11-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.