3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

Why is this 'low carb' guy adding a lot of carbs? Resistant starch

Old 04-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
diamondgeog

Default Why is this 'low carb' guy adding a lot of carbs? Resistant starch

Up until Friday I had never heard the term resistant starch. No idea what it was. I highly encourage people to find blogs, websites, twitter follows they find informative and check in on them from time to time. I try and share as best I can here but there are other wonderful sites. Mark's Daily Apple and Wellness Mama are two I like. Against All Grain and Nom Nom Paleo are good recipe sites.

So what the heck is resistant starch? Well the body resists digesting it so it passes all they way to the small intestine and the gut bacteria LOVE it. A happy and flourishing gut bacteria equals a happy and flourishing you.

Because 'you' don't digest it it doesn't produce an insulin spike. In fact it is supposed to make people really insulin sensitive and drop blood glucose level. So if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic please research it.

I encourage everyone to Google it. The reports of what it helps are impressive. Then of course see what your results are.

I've chosen to use Bob's Red Mill unmodified potato starch. I dissolve it in water and wait around 30 seconds. It is tasteless. Yesterday I used like 3 tablespoons by accident. I meant to use 2. The effects were profound. I wasn't hungry for most of the day. I was burping, common side effect.

I did two tablespoons this morning and a little less of an effect. Anyhow very excited to keep trying it. Definitely check out the research out there.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-d...#axzz2vbjSAYNi
Old 04-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #2

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My understanding of resistant starch is that scientists aren't yet able to measure how resistant resistant starch actually is. They know that some of the starch in things like potatoes is not digested, but don't know how to measure (or know how, but only in the laboratory) how much of the starch will be digested.

Are you saying someone has found a way to isolate, separate out, and sell only the resistant, nearly indigestible starch?

I don't think any natural food contains only resistant starch, and in fact resistant starch only ever comprises a portion of the carb content. It was my understanding that digestible carbs (sugars and conventional starches) nearly always significantly outweighs the resistant starch.

I know that cold potatoes and underripe bananas have more resistant carbs than hot potatoes and ripe bananas, but I didn't know that anyone could tell you how much this translates into calories/carbs saved. My understanding of resistant starch is that you couldn't take in resistant starch without taking in a substantial amount of digestible carbs.

I thought there was also some doubt as to whether everyone possesses the same inability to digest resistant starches. It was my understanding that like sugar alcohols, some people are able to more completely digest resistant carbs (that is resistant carbs are resistant, not immune to digestion, and thatvsome people are better able to digest them than others).

For low-carbers, I think it's important to know the digestible to resistant starch ratio, or you have no idea how much digestible carbs you're getting.

If they've found some way to identify how much of each type of starch is in a starchy food, that would be an incredible breakthrough, but I haven't read anything yet that suggests we can do that yet (at least not outside of a very complex laboratory).

If there is a way to isolate or quantify resistant starch, that would be amazing.

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!

Last edited by kaplods : 04-01-2014 at 08:41 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I just eat carbs. Oats. Yummy.

I get my bacteria from Kimchi.

Running because of Diana
Believing because of Sue
Elvis lives!
Getting fashion advice from Sum
ReillyJ and Carpediem saved my knees!
Don't believe the hype. EAT MORE FISH.
If the bar ain't bendin', you're just pretendin'!

Last edited by IanG : 04-01-2014 at 08:35 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
diamondgeog

Kaplods,

The low carb community is 'gaga' over potato starch because it is like 85% resistant starch and the rest is water. It is very unique. Diabetics have been trying it was no spike at all.

I am only suggesting people try the unmodified potato starch. And expirement. It's been fairly awesome for me so far.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #5

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
Kaplods,

The low carb community is 'gaga' over potato starch because it is like 85% resistant starch and the rest is water. It is very unique. Diabetics have been trying it was no spike at all.

I am only suggesting people try the unmodified potato starch. And expirement. It's been fairly awesome for me so far.

Are you sure you mean 15% water? I wouldn't think a powder could have that much moisture and stay in an unclumping, dry form. Perhaps you mean fiber? But that seems a bit high as well.

Do you know where these numbers were derived from? Sounds a bit too good to be true, but I'll look into it, as it would be quite awesome if true. I had not heard that the resistant starch science had progressed this far. I've heard that several product companies were making claims, but that the science didn't really back up the claims being made.

If that has changed, that would be awesome.

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
diamondgeog

This link and then the link to FreetheAnimal has a lot more about it.

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/is-t...istant-starch/
Old 04-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

What would be the difference between resistant starch and insoluble fibre? Or soluble fibre for that matter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistant_starch worth reading, check out the reference list!

Last edited by Pattience : 04-02-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
diamondgeog

I am still very much in the learning and expirement phase. In fact no matter what people think of me here, that has been my hallmark the past year: learn, learn, learn, learn. And keep an open mind.

I've read that and the four types of resistant starch. Still need to read it more to sink in. The reason I choose potato starch is it is easy and seems to have the fewest digested starch. It is VERY high in RS. A cooked and cooled potato for instance converts back to say 5% RS but is still mostly regular starch. So huge advantage to potato starch.

As I understand it though, the potato starch virtually all goes to the small intestine to feed my gut bacteria. I certainly get the gas if I use 3 tablespoons. And the fullness feeling was intense.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 04-02-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Why would you bother at all Diamond? I can't see the point of eating just RS.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
diamondgeog

Why? For my bacteria health. We are 90% bacteria cells. The purported benefits are amazing. Not sure for me my results, but experimenting now.

Why potato starch? Compared to other sources fewer digestible 'regular' carbs.

So low carbers are shooting for gut and health benefits of resistant starch without a carb hit. People are even reporting staying in ketosis with 4 tablespoons or so. That isn't a goal of mine but minimizing the carb hit is.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 04-02-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
diamondgeog

This is really interesting something I observed today. Background: last three times I gave blood my temperature was in the 96 dagrees. I think 96.2, 96.4, and 96.8. I wasn't overly worried.

But today and a bit yesterday I was feeling a little warmer internally. Hard to describe exactly. Turns out people have observed an increase in body temp with taking it.

That's how I often work things. Check them out on myself, observe, and then see if others experience it and what the science is. I had no idea cutting out corn would take my back pain away, but it did. Then found out others had found it also.

It's all learning. I'll admit it. 4 months ago I thought corn was a vegetable not a grain.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
Haven't quit yet!

S/C/G: 485/372.4/200

Height: 6'0

FWITW, Mark's Daily Apple did a more expository post on RS today, it explains a lot more and he always links to the studies.

2014 Reboot!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #13

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Thanks for sharing the links! I've been eating a good deal of fresh fruits and veggies, so I think that must be supplying some resistance starch to my gut. But I'd be interested to hear more about your experience.

Last edited by yoyoma : 04-04-2014 at 06:33 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #14
diamondgeog

YoYo,

Here is my one week progress. I found a 'sweet spot' of around 3.5 or so tablespoons of the potato starch. I take it during or after breakfast. My appetite has gone down noticeably. And it was controlled before.

I am down a bit over 2lbs last 6 days. That doesn't really mean much though. I do burp but not as much as in day 2-3. My stomach seems to be going down more than 2 pounds would indicate. I feel a bit of a raise in my body temp as I stated in a previous post.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #15
Haven't quit yet!

S/C/G: 485/372.4/200

Height: 6'0

I started with potato starch today, mostly out of solidarity to my bf, who has some serious gut issues that I hope a good dirt based probiotic and RS will help.

One thing I have noticed, besides the fullness is I'm very warm.

2014 Reboot!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.