3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

Best infographic I've yet found on why we are low carb or why you should be

Old 03-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

Default Best infographic I've yet found on why we are low carb or why you should be

http://blog.massivehealth.com/infogr...e_killing_you/

Ok the title is a bit dramatic. But if you believe like I do that carb consumption from non veggie sources is the main cause of diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Yes carbs do kill people.

In any event this is a GREAT resource to share with anyone whose health you care about who is not yet targeting reducing their carbs.

Restart: May 1, 2013 at 285. HW 340
diamondgeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #2

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Confirmation bias refers to a type of selective thinking whereby one tends to notice and to look for what confirms one's beliefs, and to ignore, not look for, or undervalue the relevance of what contradicts one's beliefs.

"It is the peculiar and perpetual error of the human understanding to be more moved and excited by affirmatives than by negatives." --Francis Bacon

Fat isn't a feeling

"Food is not the enemy. Hunger is a sign of life and vitality." - Caroline Haagen from The F- it Diet
Wannabeskinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #3

I don't see posts by Wannabeskinny, but I hope she was supportive in the above comments.

The past 10 months have been an amazing journey for me. I never sought out to be low carb high fat, or grain free, or even wheat free. I just knew I had to research diet and throw out everything I thought I knew and start fresh.

I knew fast food meals made me majorly hungry soon after no matter how many calories I consumed. So did bread and pasta. I had switched to whole grains years before with no change in weight or hunger. I was so tired of being hungry all the time.

The first thing in my research I came across was the high glycemic index of whole grains. So in addition to cutting out fast food I over the course of the first couple of months cut out all bread and pasta and have almost no potatoes. I was scared as diabetes runs in my family and my uncle only 22 years older than me has dementia.

I felt so much better off bread and pasta and potatoes and was starting to lose weight. I kept researching. I think a turning point was finding out about Ancel Keys and the 7 country study. I urge every single person to research this if they are interested in their health and in weight loss. It is the cornerstone study to why we decided that fat was the problem not carbs and sugars. And why government focused on fat as the 'devil' and did the food pyramid with grains on the bottom.

And it is seriously flawed. And very bad science. Perhaps among the worst research ever done. Notice it is called the 7 country study. It shows a correlation with fat consumption and heart disease. Correlations are not causation. But Keys did the unforgivable. He had data for 22 countries, actually 27 as I will explain. But with the 22 countries there was no correlation at all. So he just literally threw out 15 countries.

Then there were 5 native countries like the Inuit. They all eat almost all fat in their diet and had zero to extremely low heart disease. Instead of asking why, he just said they were outliers and shouldn't even be considered.

And then the cholesterol in food will lead to high cholesterol in humans is equally flawed. You know what is based on? Rabbits. The problem with rabbits is they never eat meat. They eat grass and leafy vegetables. So yes if you feed rabbits meat..then bad things are going to happen. They have had 100s of millions years of evolution to eat what they naturally eat.

The evidence has become overwhelming to me that for a lot of people, as insulin resistance to some degree is very common, without trying to reduce carbs as much as possible from non-veggie sources, their health and well-being is going to be impaired. Cancer, diabetes, heart disease are disease of inflammation. What does spiking insulin do to people? It causes inflammation.

I would love for this not to be true. I was 340 lbs. You don't get that way eating just fat. I could put away a lot of fat, true. But it was fat WITH carbs. Could I polish off a tub of butter popcorn? Yes. A loaf of buttered bread? Yes. How about a stick of just butter. No way. Fat alone is very satiating and filling. That is why high carbs high fat is making people sick. Low carb high fat is curing a lot of people.

My life was transformed because of people taking the time to post and tweet and facebook and publish about Ancel Keys and John Yudkin. People like Mary Enig pointing out the history of butter and fats. I hadn't even heard the term omega 6 a year ago. I had no idea what Crisco and canola oil were. I just heard canola oil was heart healthy and saturated fat, butter, coconut oil were the devil.

Now I wouldn't touch canola oil with a ten foot pole. I probably have 5 to 10 times the recommended saturated fat daily. My blood work is superb. My waist size is well below the cut off for the danger zone. I am in better health than I was as a teen.

So for all the people who took the time to help strangers, thank you. Thank you very much. And for all the people who have private messaged me saying they love the links I share and to keep posting and thanks for all you do on 3FC. Thank you very much. I know many more people 'lurk' than post.

I will keep posting what I find. I love to think other people are getting healthy. And all I can say to others is keep an open mind. And if you are going to try low carb high fat you have to give it a good couple months. And really be aware of what you are eating. Sauces and condiments can have a lot of carbs.

But do research whatever you do. There was a recent meta study of over 600,000 people. In the news just the past few days. It found no linkage between heart disease and saturated fat.

So keep an open mind. If you've never tried low carb high fat, give it a shot. I have transformed my hunger. I am virtually never hungry anymore. Many thousands perhaps millions of people who go low carb high fat report the same.

I wish everyone a wonderfully successful weight loss and health journey no matter what they choose to do.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 03-21-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
I don't see posts by Wannabeskinny
A rather perfect illustration of my point.

Fat isn't a feeling

"Food is not the enemy. Hunger is a sign of life and vitality." - Caroline Haagen from The F- it Diet
Old 03-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I haven't read the link yet. I agree that yes all of us who are overweight do need to reduce our carbs. I just don't agree that we need to give up non vegetable carbs.

Diamond, just because the fats are bad argument might be wrong, does not mean we should throw out grains.

I just wonder what a typical day on your diet looks like. I doubt i could afford it. Most people in the world couldn't afford it. I doubt that i would like the food very much and think i would struggle with it after a very short period of time.

What would a vegetarian eating your way eat do you think?

Last edited by Pattience : 03-24-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

NOw i've begun reading the linked article. Straight away you can see there's an agenda here. There's no mention of ice-cream, chocolate, cookies and other sweet treats as being any of the worst offenders. Why is that? These are the things that i ate to get so fat. It wasn't pasta, cereal, beer, soda etc. Perhaps i am unusual though.

Its also a bit odd how you say you wouldn't eat a whole block of butter without bread but you don't say you would eat a whole loaf of bread without butter. So why is it only the bread that is fattening and not the butter? Aren't they both a problem. And isn't the real problem there, the fact that someone might eat a whole loaf?

A few years ago, i met a father and son. the father was quite overweight. THey invited me for dinner. Dad was an alcoholic - drank beer mostly as far as i could see. But the food was pure protein and fat. We had an entree of some fresh prawn like thing from the river, followed by a steak, sausages and bacon. That was what this man lived on.

Breakfast was similar. There were no vegetables at all. And no bread either.

I can't be bothered taking this any further right now. Its past my bedtime.

Last edited by Pattience : 03-24-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
172pds now

S/C/G: 170 PDS. 180/170/130

Height: 5 foot and 3 inches

i READ IN PREVENTION BOOK THAT EATING TOO MANY CARBS CAN CAUSE
HEADACHES
sasyblond401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #8

S/C/G: 218.5/147/140s

Diamondgeog -- my health has also improved by leaps and bounds in so many areas since going low carb, grain free, sugar free. Before I went low carb, I was on a path to spend my entire adulthood hungry, sick, bloated, uncomfortble, yo-yo dieting, and gaining weight. I have completely changed and reversed my path. I have stepped into a whole new world of feeling calm, healthy, low inflammation, satisfied by food and weighing less than I did in junior high with none of that yo-yoing.

I feel calm, happy, healthy and full of energy. Like you, my bloodwork is stellar.

I am so thankful that I found out about low carb. I have been low carbing for 5.5 years. My health has improved so much and I feel so good that I would never go back to non low carb. It's not even hard. I never have to force myself to stay on plan. I love it! So yes -- thanks for posting links like this and sharing your experience. Low carb is not everyone's path but for some people (like myself) it makes a huge positive difference in their lives!
ElizabethLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #9

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
NOw i've begun reading the linked article. Straight away you can see there's an agenda here. There's no mention of ice-cream, chocolate, cookies and other sweet treats as being any of the worst offenders. Why is that? These are the things that i ate to get so fat. It wasn't pasta, cereal, beer, soda etc. Perhaps i am unusual though.
That doesn't sound unusual at all to me. I think many people can control their weight just by controlling sweets. But many people cannot manage their weight just by eliminating sweets. Some have success with completely different approaches. In my case, limiting both sweets and starchy carbs is very helpful to me (though even that alone is not sufficient).

It's possible to get fat on diets of various types (one exception being pure protein which would lead to "rabbit starvation" instead). One does not need to eat sweets to get fat. One does not even need to eat carbs to get fat. Low-carbers often look to the Inuit to say it's possible to live a full life without many carbs. While the traditional Inuit were relatively healthy, they weren't known for their slim physiques, so very low carb is no guarantee of slimness.

In the particular case you cite, beer might have been a big factor in the dad's weight. Alcohol is not a carb, but it's more like a carb than protein or fat. Alcohol is metabolized a lot like fructose is (they share most of the same metabolic pathway in the liver). The classic beer belly is a real phenomenon. In fact, I knew a guy (now retired and moved away) who was on the heavy side and had the big belly. I've been to get-together dinners and cookouts with him and never saw him eat one morsel of food... he just drank beer (talk about a bad diet!).

Regarding the OP's infographic... I don't think the science behind it is very solid (I've posted this elsewhere), but I do think it's good to raise awareness of the shakiness of the lipid hypothesis (but bad science is not a good cure for bad science).

yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #10

Awesome Elizabeth,

Pattience it is an infographic. I haven't heard a single person in the low carb community NOT agree with you about the worse offenders.

There are so many problems with grains I have other threads on that. My body thrives on no grains. I'll just shorten it to compelling evidence, to me at least, that humans are not designed to eat grains. You can live on them but not thrive IMO. Or at least not thrive as well as off them. My allergies and back pain went away off of them. Of course the weight loss and no more hunger are pretty awesome also.

I am linking to a talk by Andrew Weil on Gary Taubes' work. This is all the way back in 2008 I believe, maybe 2007. Notice Weil mentions not everyone is insulin sensitive. I was. I would be shocked if there wasn't some degree of it in at least 1 out of every 2 people. That means 1 out of 2 people could be helped going low carb, minimum. But Weil makes an EXCELLENT point. That I think is very important to keep in mind. Not everyone is equally sensitive to carbs. So some people might do OK or even well on more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQGRJqGQTs

Is it expensive? Well you have to consider costs holistically. I was on a CPAP machine. That was costing all of you a lot since my insurance company covered the bulk, but I also paid out of pocket for CPAP suppplies. I might have had a heart attack, those cost a lot of money.

We eat out less. We get grass fed ground beef a lot. I get it between $5 on sale to at most $9 a pound. My wife, daughter, and I eat that and we have lunch left over for two days at least for my daughter. I buy organic spinach, 16 ounces at $6. It last a pretty long time.

I feel I am costing myself and for sure society a lot less eating this way.

In any event I feel for me grains and eating non-veggie carbs was trying to pound a round peg in a square hole. As long as I did that I was doomed to an early death, disease, overweight, and just a general low quality of life.

Now I am thriving more than I ever imagined. I look at it this way, most wild Animals eat what they are supposed to eat if it is available and they thrive. Humans in their infinite 'wisdom' are eating stuff that is making them miserable and unhealthy. It might taste good for a fleeting moment, but that is it.

Although I even argue that. Most carbs are pretty bland. I like to say I still enjoy a butter salted baked potato just without the baked potato. I find myself going and having a 1/2 tablespoon piece of salted butter now and again. I use grass fed butter, $5.29 for a pound. Not too bad. In any case the butter and the salt, to me, are the real tasty parts of a buttered bake potato.

I now have lettuce wrapped burgers. Best burgers I ever had. You can taste the ingridients even more. So not only am I thriving health wise, I am enjoying food more than ever before as well.

Win-win-win. And BTW the big problem to me is Mal-distribution of wealth. We could work it out that everyone could have some meat. Plus mixed farming, livestock AND vegetables is the healthiest type of farming on the planet. The animals provide the fertilizer. So yes everyone could eat this way and we would make the planet healthier. Huge fields of gain exist no where in nature. Mixed farming mimics nature way more than the damage of grain fields.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 03-24-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #11

I disagree with you YoYo. I think the science on low carb is, by far, by leaps and bounds, the gold standard of nutritional science. Everything else is way behind.

I have a link in another thread about an article detailing the last 150 years or so of key nutritional studies. Every single one supports low carb. And the ones supporting high carb are fundamentally flawed.

What is interesting is many people will go oh Gary Taubes he is a flake or what not. Then you get Andrew Weil supporting him and its like...um...um...um...

Old 03-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #12

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
I disagree with you YoYo. I think the science on low carb is, by far, by leaps and bounds, the gold standard of nutritional science. Everything else is way behind.
Please don't use the phrase "gold standard" in the context of existing scientific evidence. It implies double-blind randomized studies, which we don't have (and really can't have) in human nutrition.

Quote:
What is interesting is many people will go oh Gary Taubes he is a flake or what not. Then you get Andrew Weil supporting him and its like...um...um...um...
Frankly, that was a pretty weak endorsement. I watched it and Weil agreed with Taubes that the evidence for the lipid hypothesis was poor but Weil said he did not agree with all Taubes' conclusions. Weil specifically says that not everyone has issues with carbs and among those who do, different people have different levels of tolerance (and he recommends his own Mediterranean-style diet).

And why should I care particularly about what Weil says anyway? There is still a lot of legitimate controversy in the medical community about the science of why and how diets with different levels of sugar/fructose/carbs affect individuals. The infographic reflects Taubes' position but it is not in any way universally accepted.

Here are the two facts we should care most about:

1) We know some people do very well on very low carb diets.

2) We know some people do very well on diets that contain a high percentage of carbs.

If people have trouble with the approach they are using, they might want to consider trying a different approach.

Last edited by yoyoma : 03-24-2014 at 03:50 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #13

As a country, the US increased carbs, cut fat and obesity, cancer, and heart disease have all increased or soared.

I do agree that people need to find out what works best. Very few do though. Most people are never grain free. So how would they know? I was vegetarian for 6 months. Lost weight but felt lousy.

I am doing what any successful weight loss person does: keeping an open mind and tweeking.

I know about RCT studies. I posted on a free book about whole grains. There are no RCT studies showing they are healthy. People fed white rice for instance lose minerals. When they switch to brown rice they do even worse because of the anti-nurtients in grains.

I am sure some other people here have tried no grains, vegetarian, and the SAD diets. Not sure how many. But I've tried them all. I feel the science of low carb is the strongest nutritional science out there. I don't find the science lacking at all in that infographic.

I had to re-watch the video after your response. Pretty strong endorsement to me. In fist minute he is saying he is recommending it to colleagues, lipid hypothesis is wrong, carbs and insulin are drivers of obesity, etc.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 03-24-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #14
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/See Ticker/125

Height: 5'5"

Well, this isn't scientific but I can say that the lower carb paleo style of eating is effective for me. For years I followed the mantra of eaing low fat with lots of grains, fruits and vegetables- and didn't lose a pound. Then I read somewhere that the emphasis the Food Pyramid puts on grains is pretty much the same emphasis we use grains to fatten up farm animals to give them that nice marbling before butchering them. I began researching paleo/primal and some of the theories behind it. I watched "Sugar, the Bitter Truth" and read up on how insulin's job in the body is to transport extra calories to our fat cells and if you don't spike your insulin how it makes your body less efficient at storing fat- and then I tried going paleo myself. I lost 20 lbs almost effortlessly. I fell off the wagon and began eating more grains again and gained the weight back. Yeah, there's naysayers and people that will say I'm just looking for data that backs up my own beliefs. But I tried it the other way and it didn't work for me. This works- when I do it.

"A mistake is not failure but feedback. -Rod Gilbert"

Last edited by EagleRiverDee : 03-24-2014 at 06:44 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Well, this isn't scientific but I can say that the lower carb paleo style of eating is effective....This works- when I do it.
I'm not a naysayer. I strongly believe in some of this science. Dr Lustig is a personal hero. And I've come to the same conclusion low carb does some thing IF I do it. The question is is it sustainable to you? If it works why don't you keep doing it? Seems simple enough and yet it's a constant struggle to stay low carb. I'm told that I don't do it long enough for my body to adjust properly to it, which just means I'm weak willed. And apparently if you stay on this long enough you don't experience hunger anymore which quite frankly is a bizarre thing to want.

Fat isn't a feeling

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.