3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

Why are you low carb?

Old 02-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #1

Default Why are you low carb?

For me two very important reasons.

First cutting out grains and startchy veggies allowed me for the first time in decades to get my appetite under control. It has been awesome beyond my imagination.

Second it finally allowed my body to start burning stored fat on a regular basis. I went from hating my metabolism to loving it.

Would I, me, myself have succeeded any other way? No I don't think so.

Note I did not give up veggies I eat more than before. But grains are gone, potatoes way down, and fruit very moderate.

It's what has worked for me. And many others. Found out about it from others on the Internet. But everyone needs to find what works for them.

Restart: May 1, 2013 at 285. HW 340
diamondgeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:15 PM   #2

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Carefully choosing my carbs and limiting them in general is part of my current recipe for success. I limit my grains to a few heaping tablespoons of brown (well, now black) rice. Haven't had any lentils lately, but would have to do the same with that. Haven't had bread (except for an off-plan day) and won't even eat whole grain bread as part of my usual diet. I don't eat potatoes either. I do eat 2 squares of dark chocolate a day, so there is some sugar in there, but that is at the end of a meal that includes healthy fats, protein, and lots of veggie fiber.

Unfortunately, in my case eating like that is not enough to solve my weight management issues, so I combine it with IF (only eat between 6PM and 8:30). I also have other eating rules thrown in (start with low nutrient density foods, like raw veggies or brothy soup). It's working for me, and I'm a lot happier with this approach than I was with calorie counting (even with careful carb control).

Last edited by yoyoma : 02-28-2014 at 10:19 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #3

I think that 'low carb' can help almost anyone. I put that in quotes because veggies are essential and loved by me. And I have dairy and some legumes. I personally find the evidence compelling humans aren't designed to eat grains but everyone needs to decide and figure out for themselves.

But I think low carb is virtually essential if someone is insulin resistant to some degree. I asked Professor Tim Noakes what happens to excess carbs. The standard line is they don't become fat but people do admit with insulin around everything else becomes fat and you never burn your fat.

His response '@ProfTimNoakes: Key is what happens in liver. Insulin resistant turn excess glucose into liver/blood trigs (fat) each time carbs are eaten.'

My wife and my blood work our triglycerides plummeted which is exactly what he predicted, we rarely get hungry anymore because no blood sugar spikes, and belly fat melting away.

Bottomline for me, 'low carb' has given me my health, vitality, energy, and body back And I am also wonderfully free of hunger now. That is why I am low carb.

And the grain free part got rid of my allergies, no more Claritin, and back pain. I urge everyone to at least research going grain free and grain free and allergies. Heart disease and cancer both linked to inflammation. Which eating grains, I believe for me, causes.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 03-01-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
172pds now

S/C/G: 170 PDS. 180/170/130

Height: 5 foot and 3 inches

Default black rice

lHi We have been eating Black rice for 7 months...........I love the stuff
Low carb is the only way to lose weight................
I tried on a pair of jeans and they are too big for me now.So happy.
I have lost 11 pounds and many inches------------
Have a good saturday
sasyblond401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #5

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.p...try-part-five/

Very nice series of why Tom Naughton is low carb. It is way more efficient for him. He is working with his body not against it. So better results with less effort and much more sustainable.

I tell people this time weight loss has been 'effortless'. He makes a good point. Starting to give up long time daily favorites is hard. No doubt. It was hard for me. But then many tend to miss them less and less and as he points out, tons of yummy things still available.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Weight Watchers Fanatic

S/C/G: 238.8/178.4/163

Height: 5'9"

Going gluten-free, by necessity (not choice) just kind of changed my entire thinking on how I eat. I'm kind of low-carb without trying to due this issue. I'm enjoying the health benefits and I am never hungry. Very satisfied with my relationship with food now.

Gluten-free January 2014 WW Re-start February 2014- Not stopping until at goal!
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
maintaining since 9/2013

S/C/G: 244/149.6/143

At a BMI approaching the morbid obesity range, I was in a state of perpetual nagging hunger. Reading about insulin resistance resonated with me so it felt right to go low carb and give my pancreas a rest. The hunger is still easily triggered but nothing like it was. I wouldn't call it easy but it was by far the least difficult and fastest way to lose weight, and keep it off. I work to stay on track in maintenance, but it's getting easier.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I tried low carb because a doctor suggested it. I stay low carb because it works for me.

Persistence is more important than Perfection

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential. - Winston Churchill
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:16 AM   #9
A new day has REALLY come

S/C/G: 185/162/120

Height: 5' 1''

I know for a fact that starchy carbs made me fat. I can have them in huge amounts 3 times a day. In my culture we mainly eat starchy carbs with sauces or soups so, it's the main dish, kind of. Whatever can be really called food in my culture is a starchy carb.
I seldom binge, I'm not a sugary food lover, I hate food with loads of fat and have them truly ocCasionaly. However I'm super fat.
So for me slimming down equals reducing my amounts of starchy carbs consumption.

I'm losing 5.5 lbs 12 times. I'm currently left with 8 times!!!
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #10

VERY good series.

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.p...stry-part-six/

Six parts, the links to the first five are at the bottom of the page.

Love this series. Especially this one in the middle when he is explaining calorie counting just doesn't work for most people. Hence the yo yo dieting, the non-success, etc. But for a lot of people low carbs does work. It totally transformed not only my weight, but my metabolism, and probably most importantly for long term success my appetite.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 03-07-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #11
One day at a time!

diamondgeog,
Like you, I have found low carb to work well for me. It seems that I remember from your posts that you don't have to lower your carbs extremely low. Do you mind telling what your daily carb count is? Do you count net carbs or total carbs?

Thank you!

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential. - Winston Churchill
Old 03-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #12

I actually can't tell you. This whole journey has been without a single day of calorie or carb counting. That is one of the most awesome things about low carb high fat to me. My appetite just naturally went down. So it has been the best daily double of my life: most success ever AND easiest.

I suspect I am between 50 and 125 most days. I've heard anything under 100 puts you in 'weight loss' zone. But I don't think I ever went low into Atkins induction zone.

The other thing is I put muscle on a lot on this eating lifestyle. I suspect I've at least 20 lbs more muscle than May 2013 so I've probably lost over 100 lbs fat already.

Forgot to add so my journey has been about whole foods, drastically reducing processed food, eliminating grains, still eating dairy, especially cheese. And upping saturated fat from coconut oil and grass fed butter. And eliminating vegetable oils except olive.

So once I am making consistent choices in my types of food I haven't had to count anything.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 03-13-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #13

S/C/G: 218.5/148/140s

Height: 5'4"

One reason I am Low Carb is because I have endomitriosis. Low carb keeps it to a manageable level. I never knew how good "normal" could feel until I tried LC. I feel SO MUCH BETTER. It's a blessing and I am thankful I found it.

I've been low carbing 5.5 years and would never go back to SAD.
ElizabethLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
Aloha nui loa

S/C/G: 181/TKR/148

Height: 6'1"

It works, that's why.

For me, I could eat very low calories and not see weight loss. But if I switch it to low carbs instead, I lose weight.

It's tough sometimes, because most people, myself included, love bread. (And all the other carby goodness that exists) But for the most part I'm good and I don't have any "panic and binge eat" episodes eating this way.

Also liked Fathead.

"Giving up because of one setback is like slashing your other 3 tires because you got a flat."
MauiKai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #15
One day at a time!

diamondgeog, Thank you for answering my questions.

I was doing very well with low carb and then, for some unknown reason, decided that it was time to add some carbs back in. Just a little, nothing like the amount of carbs that I ate before going low carb. I bet you low carbers know what happened. Yep, the hunger and cravings came back and I started struggling.

So for a week or two I have decided to concentrate on going very low carb. I am not also counting calories as I normally do and am allowing myself all the protein and fat that I want. After the carb cravings are gone, I will start back also counting calories. As a short mature women, I have found that I can easily consume too many calories even when going low carb. Getting the cravings under control is the first issue to address, however.

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.