3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

Why are you low carb?

Old 03-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #16

You're welcome Cheryl.

My wife and I are both LCHF now. Perhaps because I have been on it longer I can virtually have any carbs and be OK with control. They bloat me and make me feel heavy but they aren't triggers anymore.

She still has to stay away. A Trader Joes just opened in Austin and both being from California we had to go. We bought some dark, 85% cocoa, chocolate. I was fine with a little square every night or two. But even a little was really triggering her and she was having more than she wanted to.

Keep tweeking. You'll get back then go further.

Restart: May 1, 2013 at 285. HW 340

Last edited by diamondgeog : 03-26-2014 at 06:29 PM.
diamondgeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #17
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

I am just getting started so I can't really say that I am already low carb but my reasons for starting are as an approach to my binge eating issues that have been ongoing almost 15 years and because I am prediabetic/transitioning to diabetic.

Start 3/25/14
Mini goals #1: Onederland! -MET! 4/11 #2: 10% loss = 189.8 -MET! 5/20 #3: Pre-pregnancy weight (173)

My blog: http://shannonssliceoflife.blogspot.com/
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #18
love to be a lower weight

S/C/G: HW 220/SW 197.2/ticker/GW 132

Height: 5'3

I'm low carb because it works for me. I found out after our church consecration that I don't have any control over carbs, they control me. I tried to do the cheat day on the Tim Ferriss Slow Carb 4-hour body and it turned into three cheat days. So I am low carb because I have to be on this journey and I am diabetic so it works

Take it 1 day, 1 sec, 1 min, 1 thought, 1 breath at a time. Learn from yesterday, don't think about tomorrow, just do the best you can today//I'm not where I want to be, but I am sure not where I used to be!//Don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day, a bad day turn into a bad week, a bad week turn into giving up, As long as you get back on track
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:49 PM   #19
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

For sure carbs will make you fat if you overeat. Overeating anything will make you fat.

And you don't have to be insulin resistant for excess carbs to be turned into fat. Its what happens. Its the way our bodies work.

I am curious. What percentage of your daily diet is carbs. Have any of you done the numbers?
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #20

Pattience not me. One of the awesome things about low carb is I haven't had to do any counting or any label reading the past 10 months. I obviously choose foods low in carbs but I don't micro manage.

I guess it is as close as you can get to intuitive eating.

I eat predominantly whole foods. People don't emphasize this is the base of any good diet. I get my veggies, fats, best quality meats, cheeses, and its simple and effortless at this point.

One thing I just found out about is resistant starch. People should Google it. It goes to the gut to feed our good bacteria. I am using raw potato starch in drinks. Not awesome to drink. But I am going to try for a couple of weeks, see how it goes.

I am in Onederland BTW. First time since high school and I am 48. At early 30s I was 340 and could barely walk. Now I run 3 miles routinely 2 or 3 times a week.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 03-29-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #21
banned

You might not even be low carb then since you don't know what percentage carbs are in your diet.

I think a lot of people do emphasise whole foods. You may not be aware of it though. I emphasise them and most of what i eat is whole foods. I think its mainly bread, pasta and vegemite that i eat that is not a whole food, maybe also cheese and yoghurt, butter, and probably the odd other small thing but most of what i eat is whole food.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #22

While I don't need to count, I am grain free. So yes, I am pretty sure I am low carb. At worse under 100 grams a day on average.

Am I super low like Atkins some phases? No.

And what I meant was when people hear Atkins, Paleo, Primal they think a lot of things. But at their heart is whole foods and veggies.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 03-29-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #23
love to be a lower weight

S/C/G: HW 220/SW 197.2/ticker/GW 132

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post

I am in Onederland BTW. First time since high school and I am 48. At early 30s I was 340 and could barely walk. Now I run 3 miles routinely 2 or 3 times a week.
on Onederland and running

Take it 1 day, 1 sec, 1 min, 1 thought, 1 breath at a time. Learn from yesterday, don't think about tomorrow, just do the best you can today//I'm not where I want to be, but I am sure not where I used to be!//Don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day, a bad day turn into a bad week, a bad week turn into giving up, As long as you get back on track
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #24
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
on Onederland and running

I second that! What an accomplishment!!

Start 3/25/14
Mini goals #1: Onederland! -MET! 4/11 #2: 10% loss = 189.8 -MET! 5/20 #3: Pre-pregnancy weight (173)

My blog: http://shannonssliceoflife.blogspot.com/
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #25
banned

Sorry to keep on banging on, but its only a percentage that matters. If you are eating less than 100g of carbs, you could still be eating only 20grams of protein or 300g of protein.

Ok i can see you don't care to go and work it out but it would be interesting to know from where i sit.

So i'll let it go.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #26

Thanks for the compliments.

Pattience I don't mean to be unhelpful. I don't even count portion size. But I will give you an average day.

Breakfast 'bulletproof' coffee. Say 8 ounce coffee with a tablespoon of grass fed butter and tablespoon of coconut oil. A 'healthy skoop' breakfast drink. I think 6 carbs. Sometimes 1 egg.

Lunch. Say 3 ounces of turkey breast, 2 ounces of hard cheese, 5 grape tomatoes, carrot, bell pepper.

Dinner 6 ounce grass fed steak, spinach salad, flaxseed oil and vinegar dressing, 4 ounces asaparagus. Often a decaf bulletproof coffee. And a little half and half each time. Sometimes say 3 ounces of cottage cheese with 4 raspberries for a snack.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #27

S/C/G: 182/145/119 keto

Height: 5ft2in

I low carb because it helps me control hunger, I am simply not hungry all the time anymore, I found on low cal that I was a bit miserable at 1200 calories. I'm not knocking it, I lost two stone calorie counting which was great but I found it harder than what I'm doing now. I think I have more stalls this way but its easier for me to maintain because of the appetite suppressing effect.

I both low carb and count calories I also believe sugar is awful for you (doesn't mean I don't love it!!), we have a lot of diabetes in the family so that's another motivator.

Pattience, you were asking about macros, to give you an example (as I track) yesterday I ended up at

fat 56% 55g
carbs 14% 30g
protein 30% 75g

I've rounded the numbers, but the calorie logging tool i use doesn't work the net carb into my % and only uses total carbs.

the range can be anywhere from
20-35% protein
55-75% fat
5-15% carbs

not militant about hitting % figures but I tend to watch my carbs and try to make sure protein doesn't go below 55g
Sheena82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #28
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Mainly because that is the only time I lose is when I watch carb intake

GOALS
1- 217 back to low-accomplished
2- 210 -Count down til onderland!!
3- 205/ 50lbs lost
4- 199 - Most important goal!!
5- 180- FINAL Goal

"Believe in yourself"
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #29
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

I eat low-carb because it's the only thing that works for me, both for weight loss and for overall health.

Several years ago, when I first realized I had to do something about my weight, "whole grains" was the big health thing. I transitioned from "white stuff" to "brown stuff"....and gained 30 pounds in less than two months! WTH? This led me to do a lot of research and a lot of experimenting. I've learned that...

I'm wheat intolerant. I stop eating wheat and a million unpleasant symptoms vanish, practically overnight.

My body hates all grain carbs, not just wheat.

Severely limiting my grain intake helps me control my appetite and my blood sugar. I have insulin resistance, so my blood sugar tends to skyrocket and plummet with alarming rapidity, unless I'm eating properly.

I also have to eat protein when I eat carbs, to manage my blood sugar.

I cannot go Atkins low with carbs. I begin to feel ill in multiple ways without adequate fruits and veggies.

My "magic formula" is <100 grams carbs I lose weight, 100 grams of carbs I maintain, >100 grams carbs I gain weight. The one caveat to that, though, is that the carbs have to come primarily from veggies, fruit, and dairy. Too many grains, no matter the carb count, stalls my weight loss and ultimately makes me gain.

These are my target numbers:
Carbs - 20% = 60-77
Protein - 30% = 90-116
Fat - 50% = 65-86

Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #30
It is what it is...

I am low carb due to diabetes type 2 ...eating low carb is the only way to keep my blood sugar in line without having to start insulin at some point ( right now just on pills ). Also I could never lose any good amount of weight and keep it off while eating sugar and starches.
Also of course I am gonna feel so much better and have more energy when my blood sugar is in line...I've been feeling really good.

I eat "clean", meaning I do not eat anything processed ...don't eat sugar or starches either ...lots of meat, veggies, and occasional fruit ...and dairy on occasion ...not gonna say this choice has been easy but my body is getting used to it ( been 2.5 months now ) and I'm seeing not only the scale number come down but also my body changing ...also my A1C is perfect and so are my other numbers...

I will say my tryglicerides are always a little high, so I'm hoping following this diet can lower them by the next time I get them checked. Before I started eating this way they were hanging around 299.

Carri

Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.