2nd week tougher than first?

• hello all. I went on a low carb diet to try and eliminate some fat permanently from my body. My first week went great and I hit ketosis pretty quickly and had no slip ups at all with carbs (besides 1 single french fry on the 6th day). However, this week is a lot tougher for me, i find myself moody and had 4 teaspoons of almond butter and 2 stick of honey whey pretzels last night after severe creavings. I still didn't touch carbs but this morning my scale went up by 1.5 lbs.

My question is, did you find that your second week on low carb was tougher than first? Currently eating about 15% calories from carbs.

Thanks!
  • I was about to say that my carb cravings are tied to my menstrual cycle, but then decided to check your other posts and I guess that wouldn't be a problem for you :-)

Low carb diets can cause moodiness in some people. The reason for it can be anything from serotonin production to habits: http://www.webmd.com/depression/features/craving-carbs

What kind of carbs do you eat now? Starchy vegetables like sweet potato and rutabaga could help.

It's also going to take a while to switch from using mainly carbs as a fuel to using fat as a fuel. The adaptation period lasts for a few weeks. I'm feeling slightly slow right now, so can't look up for a credible source that would explain what happens during that adaptation period and why :-)