3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

I just tried 'Paleo Wraps' from Julian bakery and.....

Old 08-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #1

Default I just tried 'Paleo Wraps' from Julian bakery and.....

They are pretty darn delicious. This is a new product out since July that uses coconut meat and water to create a thin wrap. They seem like they will fall apart but they hold up pretty well. I enjoy the texture, soft without being too chewy. There is a mild sweet taste and very slight coconut taste. They really let whatever you put inside shine through.

The one drawback is the cost. We bought 7 packs at once and that works out to around a $1 a wrap, a little more with shipping. Yes we could use corn tortillas. But these are way better. I heard people trying their 'Paleo bread' did not like it at all. But this is a way different story.

I tried a turkey, kale, cheese, tad of hummus, mustard wrap today. Delicious. It has worked really well for wrapping up some eggs in the morning going out the door.

All in all given how much we were spending going out, wraps for the week for both me and my wife are one lunch out or less.

Just look up Paleo Wrap if interested. Some days I will go without as I have been doing, but these are nice when I want a wrap.

Restart: May 1, 2013 at 285. HW 340
diamondgeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #2

S/C/G: 128.8/125.8/115

I was thinking of getting these for the occasional flatbread pizza, but I understand that the brown rice tortillas from TJ work fairly well (oops, I just realized this is the carb-counter forum, so they wouldn't work well!)

For sandwiches, I pretty much always use greens as a wrap. It's cheap, gluten free, and non-starchy.

The cucumber sub idea is brilliant, though, and I have two cucumbers sitting in my fridge for just this reason.

Last edited by Munchy : 08-30-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #3

S/C/G: 215/182/150

Height: 5'10"

Julian Bakery bread apparently isn't really low carb

Jimmy Moore on the Livin' La Vida Low Carb website showed that it spikes your blood sugar exactly the same as regular bread.

Mini Goal #1 10lbs lost (205lbs) ACHIEVED! Mini Goal #2 20lbs lost (195lbs) ACHIEVED! Mini Goal #3 30lbs lost (185lbs) ACHIEVED! Mini Goal #4 40lbs lost (175lbs) Mini Goal #5 50lbs lost (165lbs) GOAL! 60lbs lost (155lbs)
rocksplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksplash View Post
Julian Bakery bread apparently isn't really low carb

Jimmy Moore on the Livin' La Vida Low Carb website showed that it spikes your blood sugar exactly the same as regular bread.
I think the company has done some work to rectify this - there's obvious bitterness between the company and several individuals (and perhaps more than several!) who have had issues, but in the end, I think it's one of those things where if it works in your diet, then it's probably OK. I'm not condoning either side of the debate, though, as I think there are issues on both sides!
LoveChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #5

S/C/G: 300/225/150

Height: 5'4

Since the Jimmy Moore post, Julian Bakery has supposedly rectified the problem and revamped the recipe. I recently bought their coconut flour bread, it is a little bland flavor wise, but it was a real treat being able to eat a sandwich again. And it seemed to really be zero carb, it didn't cause a blood sugar rise.
It is expensive, so I wanted to try their bread so I would know if it was worth making myself. Which it is.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -George Orwell
Catgoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #6

Catgoyle,

If you have a recipe for low carb gluten-free bread, I would appreciate it.
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #7

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

I tried the Paleo Bread and its... Meh... :-/ I paid $9.99 for it at whole foods and its tiny!!! Not going to buy it again... I will try the wraps at a later time...

CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #8

I have been making the following:
1/3 cup flaxmeal
1/3 cup almond or coconut flour
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 tbsp oil or butter
1 tbsp half and half or heavy cream
I put in a small plastic container and microwave for one minute 20 seconds(stronger microwaves probably only need one minute)
I add different seasonings as I like.
It isn't like store bought bread but it has good texture and I can make toast and sandwiches. And the flax is great fiber.
I am going to try putting yeast to get that flavor.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -George Orwell
Old 11-19-2013, 07:45 AM   #9

Catgoyle,

Thanks for posting your recipe!!! What are your favorite seasonings?
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #10

Hi deetermined2!
I am a fanatic for garlic and onion, and to be quick and simple I just add the garlic and onion powders in my spice rack. I also have done rosemary and oregano.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #11

Height: 5'9"

I have been looking for paleo wraps through a company I used to order from but they stopped carrying them, thank you for sharing.
Psalm 119:32
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #12

For the price of the low carb items that are being sold, it is better for me to make my own. In addition, I don't fully trust what the labels say.
I bought a large bag of flax meal at Sam's club for about 6 bucks. I bought low carb breads and they were 9 dollars! Forget that!
Tonight I made pizza:
1 c flax meal
1/2 c parmesan cheese
1/2 c mozarella cheese
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbls Erythritol
2 tbls oil
2 eggs
enough heavy cream to make it workable.

Now mind you it isn't the thick and chewy pizza crust I love, but you can hold it your hand(no fork needed) and with all the toppings I put, it was awesome!

Last edited by Catgoyle : 11-21-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: correct sentence grammer
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.