3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

Lowering carbs has been the best thing I ever did healthwise

Old 08-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

Default Lowering carbs has been the best thing I ever did healthwise

So a few months ago I reached my breaking point with weight and health. My all time high was 340 or so pounds. I have staid under 295 for the last 12 years, a low about 225 around 10 years ago. I was at 282 around May 1 this year and 2 things happened. I wear a certain dress coat once a year for a trade fair were I work. It was about 2-3 inches too small. I went to a concert a few days later and I was around the largest person there.

And it just hit me. Do I have less will power than these people on average? No. I have accomplished a lot. Am I not smart enough to eat well? No, I think I have the ability to learn and I process and shift through information well.

So I started exercising every day. Having adopted a daughter who is 2 and I am 48 certainly helped motivate me as well. I lost weight mostly on the exercise and starting to eat better.

I had the info about low carb in the back of my mind, but sad to say thought Atkins was a 'crackpot' which actually turned me off from finding out more about it. But as I read and searched everything became crystal clear.

I had ALL. Not some but ALL of the classic too much carb symptoms. Big belly, high triglycerides, low good cholestrol high bad cholestrol...and on and on. I found sites that made it so simple that not all calories are equal. Carbs equals rise in insulin equals fat storage equals feeling hungry again way too soon.

I am not and have not gone to Atkins. But I have cut out bread eating most days, no diet soda, switching mashed potatoes to mashed cauliflower, being very aware of dressings, only using butter. Eating veggies and fruit and lean meets.

Today I was down to 257 from 282 on May 1. I have so much more energy it is just awesome. I am even starting to run which I never did before. My blood pressure it totally normal and I can't wait for my next blood work because I think that will be great also. I say my goal is 220 but I do hope to hit Onederland. I am 5'9".

I know everyone's body is different. But lowering carbs, I feel better than I have even when I hit 225. And my cravings for carbs are gone. I tried it. I can eat one potato chip now and walk away. I might not have been a carbaholic but I was close. So just over 3 months later things are so different. I just wish the mainstream would get on board with lowering carbs. I mean the correlation with obesity epdemic and the focus on fat as bad not carbs are one to one. ONE to ONE.

And yes I know veggie and fruit carbs are not refined carbs. I'd even be ok if the mainstream started saying how bad refined carbs were (they do but not as public obesity enemy number one). So thankful I found my key for this journey. Being under 250 will be big for me. Hoping to do that sometime the next couple of months. I prefer slow and steady and if goals happen quicker, great.

Restart: May 1, 2013 at 285. HW 340

Last edited by diamondgeog : 08-08-2013 at 01:35 PM.
diamondgeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #2

S/C/G: 276/276/175

Height: 6-1.5

Congratulation! I too think that sugar (carbs) cause you to get hungry so you eat more of them. I feel I am sufficiently well informed on this account. sugar is actually quite rare in nature in large quantities, and yet it is everywhere in man-made foods. I think all the evidence shows that low fat (diet) foods only add more sugar and make you eat more. I feel that fats are good for you in reasonable amounts, whereas you need to treat sugar, simple carbs and starchy white carbs as though they were rat poison. One apple is not going to mess a person up, but a jug of apple juice will.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #3

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Yes this is so true. Kaplods wrote an excellent bit about this on the thread about Oprah.

I see so many people posting in despair full of self hate because of binging and being unable to stick to any plan. I want to scream at them The carbs have taken over your brain!. But if you advise anyone to lower them they immediately stop paying attention.

The North American governments recommended food pyramids are upside down and as long as nutritionist keep pushing them many Americans and canadians will continue to be overweight.

Make choices today that your future self will thank you for!

Last edited by patns : 08-08-2013 at 03:46 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #4

People use to say you are what you eat so eating fat equals getting fat. It seems logical. But you know what? Of course the sun orbits the Earth. Duh. It is SO obvious.

It amazes me we are in the flat Earth, sun orbits the Earth stage with USDA. How hard is it to tell people something this simple carbs -> stored as fat.

Fat -> burned and used. Sigh. Hopefully it is changing. Paleo seems popular now and it is low carb for sure.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #5

S/C/G: 195/176/120

Height: 5'4"

I wish more people understood that. When I was at college I began to pile on the weight and met a dietitian. She said horrible things about Atkins and the need for healthy "whole grain" carbs. Whatever, I still gained weight despite taking her advice and feeling worthless in the process. It didn't make sense to me that fat was the problem and you needed massive amounts of exercise to maintain a healthy weight.

Fast forward years later I finally discovered Gary Taubes and he explained why a high-fat/low-carb diet made since and how the calorie-in/calorie-out argument was flawed. I now maintain a paleo lifestyle and wish that people told the truth about weight loss rather than push their own agenda. It would of saved me YEARS. I am one of those people who are highly sensitive to sugar and even in fruit it triggers this insatiability in me. It sucks, but I know that I have to be very careful even with that.

But I am ridiculously happy with this diet and also am EXTREMELY full all of the time. I have to remind myself to eat. This AND losing weight. You can't go wrong.

Last edited by DottheI : 08-09-2013 at 11:29 PM.
DottheI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #6

I thought low carb was terrible and something I couldn't do. I spent a ton on other diets, mostly WW, and could never maintain under 170 and I'm only 5'3". Last spring I was so depressed about my weight and driving past the Bariatric Surgeons office and noticed they had a sign that said they also do medically supervised weight loss. I made and appointment and went in and I signed up for 1 month to see how it went. I have a person, licensed counselor, a doctor who monitors my blood work closely, they have a fully equipped gym right in their offices with personal trainers, classes and behavior modification classes. I was told to eat 1000 calories, at least 100 grams of protein and no more than 50 net carbs. I never was a sweet eater but I love bread, crackers, chips and pretzels. I expected huge cravings. To my amazement, no cravings. I don't miss them at all. I can walk by and say no. I've lost 26 pounds since May 7. When we got my first blood work back, there was the evidence that I was carb sensitive and insulin resistant. I now have tons of energy. I wish I'd have jumped on the low carb bandwagon many years ago and saved myself the misery of the other diets.

HW 356 pounds - CW 138 - GW 130

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Forget Yesterday. I am, where I am. I know where I could have been, had I done what I did not do. Tell me, Friend, what I can do today, to be where I want to be tomorrow. - Sigrad
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #7

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 8in

I totally agree with everyone here - carbs just mess me up totally. Here in Finland, carb reduction is a big craze and is really helping many people as the diet has been heavily focused on potatoes with everything. Personally, I cut down on the carbs in March and have lost weight steadily ever since, along with gaining energy and motivation.

I regard processed sugar now as a poison for me. And white flour is not much better. I'll not cook with them myself and try to follow the paleo diet. The only other diet I have success with in the past was Atkins, and then high cholesterol stopped that. I'd be interested to see what my levels are like now without the drugs.

'Nothing ever tastes as good as being thin feels'

Maintenance started 31-03-2014

------------------------------------------------------
CrazyCatWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #8

VA, Dot, and Cat thanks for the posts. Diabetes does run in my family so I probably am carb sensitive. I could never figure out why I would have a big fast food meal with fries of course and be hungry so soon again. I thought I was weak.

Well in a much better place now. I feel amazing. I just hope some or most of the damage I was doing is reversible. I am 48 and not diabetic yet but who knows how long I had?

Went to Red Lobster recently. I use to engulf those cheddar biscuits. Eat half of one and stopped. It didn't even taste good anymore. Broccoli was my side dish, oil and vinegar on the side.

Carbs set me up for such mindless eating in the past. I don't know why but you can just eat and eat and eat them. Maybe no fiber? In any case I love, for example, beets now. But I can't just mindlessly eat them like fries used to.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 08-14-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Low carb = my liberation!

w1: 11 lbs; w2: 4 lbs; w3: 3.6 lbs; w4: 5 lbs; w5: 5 lbs;w6: 2.4 lbs; w7: 1.4lbs; w8: 6lbs ; w9: 1lb w10: 4.6 lbs w11: 0lbs w12: 5 lbs; w13: 2 lbs w14: 4 lbs ; w15: no w.i.; w16: 11.5 lbs ; w17: 1 lb; w18: 2.5 lbs; w19: 2 lbs; w20: .5; w21: no w.i.; w22: 9 lbs; w23: 3.5 lbs ...

No longer morbidly obese! Total loss now = 108 lbs. With thanks to the Ideal Protein Diet (a form of ketogenic nutrition)!

Low carb life is my liberation!

Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #10

S/C/G: 195/176/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
VA, Dot, and Cat thanks for the posts. Diabetes does run in my family so I probably am carb sensitive. I could never figure out why I would have a big fast food meal with fries of course and be hungry so soon again. I thought I was weak.

Well in a much better place now. I feel amazing. I just hope some or most of the damage I was doing is reversible. I am 48 and not diabetic yet but who knows how long I had?

Went to Red Lobster recently. I use to engulf those cheddar biscuits. Eat half of one and stopped. It didn't even taste good anymore. Broccoli was my side dish, oil and vinegar on the side.

Carbs set me up for such mindless eating in the past. I don't know why but you can just eat and eat and eat them. Maybe no fiber? In any case I love, for example, beets now. But I can't just mindlessly eat them like fries used to.
My father just found he is pre-diabetic. That really motivated me to start my low-carb lifestyle. My father never had a weight problem and to be perfectly honest, ate better than me, but, he loved his white carbs and had them with every meal. So, for me, if he can become pre diabetic with his diet (a serving of white carbs every meal but would also eat salads and fish) I knew it was just a matter of time for me if I didn't stop.

Low-carb is necessary for me. It just works for me and I no longer feel like a weirdo when I refuse the bread, rice, or pasta. If vegans feel they shouldn't apologize for their eating habits, neither should I. I have started paleo last month, and although I stuck with it about 65% of the time I've lost 12 pounds. I am super excited!
DottheI is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.