3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Stepping up to the carb confessional (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/285137-stepping-up-carb-confessional.html)

geoblewis 07-22-2013 03:15 PM

Stepping up to the carb confessional

I don't know why I do this. Really, I have no idea how keep from doing this ever again. I am moving along on a Paleo/low carb cruising altitude, feeling REALLY DARN GOOD. And then one little eating glitch and it all falls to pieces!

Went to my aunt and uncles on Saturday afternoon. It was my uncle's name day (big deal for the Greek, bigger than a birthday), so my aunt made some Greek pastries (stuff I NEVER make any more and rarely eat) and I was handed a plate with a small portion of them. I factored in for this, decided to eat what I was given, and really intended on being done with grains/sugar the moment I left their house. My son was hungry, but my kitchen was all clean and I didn't feel like cooking. I really thought my aunt was going to have other food to eat. Poor planning!

We went to A&W for dinner. I had a Coney Dog. And fries. And a root beer. It was like an out-of-body experience. I watched myself order and eat it all.

Sunday, I weighed myself and noted that I had gained 2 lbs. It was to be expected. So, I went right back to my Paleo/low-carb food plan. Ate my planned share of calories and was done eating around 4:30 p.m. The boys came home with friends at around 9 p.m. They were hungry. They ordered pizza around 10:30. The boys and their friends kept me up till 1 a.m. I got hungry again during that time...yes I ate pizza. LOTS of it!

Weighed in this morning. Up 4 lbs. since yesterday! Holy crap!

No need for self-flagellation. I know what I did and I'm kicking myself! I'm about12 hours into my turn at intermittent fasting. Drinking lots of water with some lemon. I know it's mostly water retention. I've already done some Pilates, weight training and cardio today. Hoping to catch up on sleep with a nap this afternoon.

*sigh*

Just needed to get this out of my head. Putting it out there so I can move on! Thanks for listening!

seize the day 07-23-2013 02:46 PM

I find that I have this happen too. One bad carb-filled meal, and I am craving carbs like crazy and have no will-power for the next couple days. My saving grace is really strong flavored foods.

Pickles, eggs with hot sauce, strong cheeses, olive oil with vinegar over chicken, etc.

I like bitter foods, and they tend to make me feel more satisfied than mild foods.

But yes, right now I am battling a 3 lb increase from last week based on eating a burger (with bun :() and fries, which of course led to eating ice cream, drinking a beer, and have tomato soup with a dinner roll.

kaplods 07-23-2013 03:15 PM

There are very strong biochemical reasons we crave carbs and often crave them even more when we eat them.

No need to kick yourself, just be aware that willpower is over-rated. The best way to use willpower is to set up your environment and food options to avoid the need for it.

There are going to be times when you may decide to indulge, and you'll have to engage white-knuckle willpower (and it may not be 100% successful), but the less often you have to use that strategy, the easier you'll have it.

There's no shame in having difficulties with high glycemic carbs. Biochemistry is a b****.

geoblewis 07-23-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplods (Post 4798956)
Biochemistry is a b****.

So true, sister!!!

Thanks for the support, ladies. I know we've all succumbed to those dastardly high-glycemic foods. I am so frustrated with how easy it was to gain back so much weight! Intellectually, I know it's water. But still!!!

I have gotten back to the healthy choices again. I'm down nearly 4 lbs. since Monday. Slept 8 hours last night. Did a couple of really exceptional workouts over the last two days. Feeling proud of myself at the moment!

Had never considered balancing out the carbs with really strong-flavored foods. Will have to try that next time! Thanks for the tip!

geoblewis 07-28-2013 10:13 AM

Was doing really well all week. Lost 4 lbs. since last weekend. Then last night, I made some baked polenta fries. They were darn tasty! But I'm up 4 lbs. this morning!

REALLY!? I ate under TDEE, have been doing so, SO well all week. And then one single meal put me over the top! I didn't even go over 70 g total on carbs for the day!

:mad:

geoblewis 07-28-2013 10:06 PM

Well, I think I emotionally overreacted to this morning's moment on the scale. I got back on the scale a few hours later and I was back down 4 lbs. Oh silly me!

I have had a stellar day staying off starchy carbs. Moving forward!