3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   frozen Atkins meals (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/283847-frozen-atkins-meals.html)

sarcruze 06-23-2013 07:40 PM

frozen Atkins meals

I was shopping at Wal-mart today and in the frozen section I noticed a new item, Atkins meals. Has anyone tried them? They are kinda pricey, $3.99. Wondering if they are worth the price

JerseyGyrl 06-23-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarcruze (Post 4778077)
I was shopping at Wal-mart today and in the frozen section I noticed a new item, Atkins meals. Has anyone tried them? They are kinda pricey, $3.99. Wondering if they are worth the price

While they may be OK in an occasional pinch, I wouldn't recommend eating them on a regular basis as they contain maltodextrin and a considerable amount of sodium.

ovwgirl 07-02-2013 11:07 PM

Hello!
I am currently living out of a hotel (week 6 :mad:) and since I only have a microwave I have been relying on the Atkins meals. The sausage, chicken, and turkey ones are pretty good. I didn't really like the chili though. I usually add some extra broccoli or chicken to them to make them feel a little more "real". Good luck!

Laurlie 07-25-2013 03:32 PM

The southwest scramble one is good for breakfast, but it'd be cheaper to just buy some eggs and butter (you can make scrambled eggs in the microwave). People might look at you crazy, but you'll be too busy nom noming to care.

Satine 07-30-2013 12:18 PM

As another poster said I would use occasionally ...the chicken alfredo one with brocolli is SO good

Munchy 07-31-2013 11:47 AM

What I like to do is cook an entire dish, divvy it up into the number of portions, then freeze it. Voila, homemade freezer meals.
It's so much cheaper and you can control exactly what ingredients are in it.

It's a lifesaver for me!

Psychic 07-31-2013 12:02 PM

They taste as good as any frozen meal. Personally, I prefer Healthy Choice though. They're a bit cheaper for the same quality.

kaplods 07-31-2013 12:46 PM

I was rather disappointed in the one I bought (beef and broccoli in merlot sauce, I believe it was called). It was tasty but way too salty for me (although that's pretty common for me). What surprised me most was how skimpy the serving. I didn't expect it to be huge, but I did expect more broccoli.

While most frozen dinners rely heavily on cheap carbs like rice or pasta, the Atkins meal I tried was made of mostly cheap fat. The meat and veggies portions were just as skimpy as in other frozen dinner brands.

For the price ($3.50), I was not impressed. The quality and ingredients, in my opinion, were more consistent with a low to mid range Lean Cuisine ($2 - $2.50).