Old 04-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/207/140

Height: 5'5

Default Low Carb Pancakes

I have been experimenting with different low carb pancake recipes I have found. They all consist of cream cheese and eggs. One had baking powder. I think all called for a sweetener, as well. They all tasted good, but I wasn't getting the right consistency. I ran out of stevia one day, so I substituted some strawberry flavored protein powder I had. The kind I use is sweetened with stevia and only has 1 carb per scoop. They turned out really good, but the consistency wasn't quite what I wanted. Today, I tweaked the recipe again, and I'm happy to announce, I finally found it!

2eggs
1.5oz cream cheese (I had been using 2, but I like the 1.5 better)
1/2 scoop protein powder (today I used vanilla caramel swirl...awesome!)

Put in blender, blend until mixed. Let the mix sit for a couple minutes, while skillet heats. I find medium to medium high heat works best. I use 2T butter in mine. Slowly pour batter in small circles. I had to do 2 batches and made 7 little cakes. Just like regular pancakes, when they start bubbling, they are ready to turn. You could probably use sugar free syrup, if you'd like, but I top mine with cream, because they are already slightly sweet, due to the protein powder. Also, they're good and buttery from cooking them in butter. They are pretty quick to make and really take care of a pancake or a sweet craving! With the powder I use, mine come out to about 4-5 carbs for 7 little pancakes.

Last edited by ohmanda; 04-14-2013 at 11:36 AM.
ohmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: IDK

Height: 5'9

that's a great recipe, i have a whole box of chocolate protein powder to use but i have no ideas how to use it. i can't drink it because it's gross to me.
only one question...is you cream cheese sweetened? do you think i could use ricotta instead of cream cheese?
missunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

Oh yes use ricotta cheese in pancakes! I do a flax seed ricotta pancake its wonderful!
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #4  

I just use regular cream cheese. Actually, sometimes I use cultured organic cream cheese, but it's basically the same thing. You could probably try different things and see what works for you. Like I said, it probably took me 10 batches, before I figured out this was the recipe I am sticking with.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Restart 4-28-14 298/280.5/140

Height: 5'3"

hi, that recipe is interesting and i'd like to try it. is your protein powder a whey powder or a soy protein powder. Is it possible to buy that protein powder on the internet?
Elizabeth779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #6  

I use a whey powder, I imagine soy might work as well. The powder I use is called NNW 100% Healthy Whey and it comes in a black bag. I did an internet search, and unfortunately, it looks like it is only available here in the Midwest at Hy-Vee stores. That's a shame, because like I said, it's delicious and they use stevia, so it only has 1 carb per scoop. On the bag, it says its made by NNW, LLC in Gretna, Nebraska.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #7  

You can make these without the protein powder, though. Use 2 eggs, 2 oz cream cheese, and some sweetener. I use stevia. I also use a tiny bit of vanilla. They are good too, I just like the flavor and texture better with the protein powder.