Old 02-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #1  

Default Feed a cold??

I just caught a cold. Fortunately my appetite is low. What are some low carb suggestions other than broth and tea? I usually like diluted juice drinks w/ vitamin C, but a lot of them have sugar. Are there any drinks that people can recommend. I don't like tea because it upsets my stomach. What are some foods I can eat? I am doing a cross between Dukan and Protein Power and keeping my carbs w/ 40 g a day. Thanks
1961tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #2  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I was sick last week, and I just ate like normal for the most part. I had some miso soup just in case I wanted soup, and it's about 3 g net carbs. I ended up not needing it.

I understand about the low appetite, I wasn't eating as much as I normally do but still enough that I wasn't starving myself.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #3  
N

S/C/G: 175/150/135

Height: 5' 3"

There are plenty of great herbal teas to give yourself something hot to soothe your throat and loosen your sinuses. Lemon soothers, camomile (what Peter Rabbit's mother gave him) ginger if you are nauseous... I don't do tea often but it's comforting.
Nan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #4  

Hi Tracy,

Well really the old wives’ tale to feed a cold hops back to the time when most food was carb-loaded and of course the high rush of sugars that the body was flooded with was exactly what the cold viruses like to feed on.

As you're now moving towards low carb that is not such an issue. However your body still needs energy so you do really want to try and eat as much fat as you can and if you want something soothing for your throat then scrambled egg cooked in butter will be a good idea and I would suggest you have a good quality cheese melted into it to give you the fat as well.

Another thing that’s great is a ripe avocado with mayonnaise sprinkled with lots of cayenne pepper. Both the avocado and the mayonnaise will have a significant portion of fat and the cayenne pepper will also help to rid your body of the bugs.

Hope that helps,

Mark
MarkMoxom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #5  

Thanks for the suggestions, I have been eating about a meal a day and am beginning to feel the fatigue.
1961tracy is offline   Reply With Quote