Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #16  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack Addict View Post
Hey -- some of us were BORN fat! I was over ten pounds at birth, and both my parents were of average size.
I think the argument may come under the way the "healthy diet" recommended to people puts women at risk of gestational diabetes in pregnancy, increasing the chance of a large baby, and then formula feeding makes it so much worse.
Prolonged (1 year) breastfeeding is still NOT the norm in the US, when it should be. Breastmilk has no HFCS in it of course.

I was formula fed, but I hope I stopped the cycle by breastfeeding my kids and keeping them off sweets for the first several years of their lives.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 301.25/288.25/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
I think the argument may come under the way the "healthy diet" recommended to people puts women at risk of gestational diabetes in pregnancy, increasing the chance of a large baby, and then formula feeding makes it so much worse.
Prolonged (1 year) breastfeeding is still NOT the norm in the US, when it should be. Breastmilk has no HFCS in it of course.

I was formula fed, but I hope I stopped the cycle by breastfeeding my kids and keeping them off sweets for the first several years of their lives.
I'm not sure what all my mother ate, but she delivered all three of her children on our due dates. (I thought that was interesting.) I do remember her telling me that the smell of chicken cooking made her sick when she was pregnant with me... but I suspect she ate during pregnancy as she ate during the rest of her life -- moderation in all things.

Oh... and she breast-fed all her children for about six months.

My mother was always a huge advocate of a healthy lifestyle -- long before it was popular. We just all have very efficient metabolisms. For example, my sister (who is in her 60's) exercises at the Y every morning and walks every evening after work. Her breakfast may be a cup of yogurt... an apple and perhaps three or four saltines at lunch... a typical single-portion meal of meat, starch, and vegetable for supper with a light dessert. Under 1,000 calories a day to maintain a slender body.

My siblings see food as nourishing their bodies. I see it as a favorite pasttime.

Anyway, I'm trying to deflect the passion I have for eating into learning as much as I can about what I eat and controlling it. It's going to be an interesting journey.
Quack Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Yea, totally life changing.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #19  
Downloading 10% complete

S/C/G: 190/188/170

Height: 5'4"

That is amazing. I'm doing Intuitive Eating and went on a HCFS spree at the very beginning to test how all the processed foods made me feel. Awful! So it's metabolised the same way as alcohol? That explains why I felt constantly hungover when eating so much processed ****! And why those symptoms are gone now. It made me feel really fortunate that thinking cutting way down on the sugar and processed foods would be a great start to IE. I actually ended up in the low-carb section of the forum tonight, where I found this thread, because I was wondering why I'd inadvertently gone all low-carb. I can hear my hunger signal for the first time, and my body only demands carbs when I'm exercising, the rest of the time it's protein & vegetables all the way. This really does explain so much for me, and I've shared it with the IE thread as well as it may be of interest.

Thankyou!
the shiv is offline   Reply With Quote