3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Fish... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/259700-fish.html)

sizzlingina 05-24-2012 12:17 PM

Fish...

I would like to try to find a fish that I might be able to tolerate. I'm generally not a huge fan of fish. I like Long John Silver and canned tuna. I might like others, I don't know, as I haven't tried many.

Basically I'd like to find one or a few that aren't overly fishy tasting and are good for me. I want to incorporate a serving or two a week. Also if you can share your favorite cooking methods that would be great too!

Thanks in advance!!

Foxevil 05-24-2012 02:44 PM

If you like canned tuna then you might like canned mackerel (but don't get the one in oil - I always make that mistake), it's packed with omega 3 so it's really good for you.

No fish should truly taste or smell "fishy" if it does it's not fresh so always sourcing good fresh fish is the key. White fish is generally very light in flavour so things like cod, haddock, coley and pollock are good if you want something that has an easily hidden flavour. I tend to eat lots of salmon and sea bass bit lots of people find the taste a bit fatty. Swordfish and shark are good too, much less like fish and more like a meat.

Also don't rule out seafood, it's been a real lifesaver for me when low-carbing because it's easy. Tiger prawns make a great snack and if you feel adventurous there is a whole array of different seafood you can have. Good low fat source of protein.

My favourite way of cooking good fish is just to seal it up in some foil with a squeeze of lemon, maybe a drop of white wine, and steam it until cooked (usually 20 minutes or so depending on the thickness).

A little note on tuna though, it has been said you shouldn't consume more than 2 cans a week due to trace heavy metal deposits, particularly if you are or are planning to get pregnant.

Good luck with your fishy journey :)

samcakes 05-24-2012 02:52 PM

try fish tacos, here is my recipe

serves 6:

small flour tortillas
green onion
cole slaw mix (not dressed)
cilantro
light mayo
sugar, (or splenda)
apple cider vinegar
cod, 1-2 large fillets
canned chipotle peppers(with sauce)

for cole slaw dressing:
mix 1/4 cup sugar or splenda with 1/4 cup mayo and 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, add very small amount of chipotle peppers (around1-2 tbsp to taste, a little dab will do it)

add chopped green onion and cilantro to coleslaw mix and mix with dressing, the dressing will be very light, but after a few minutes it will start to get more moist

bake cod with very small amount of fajita seasoning

serve with avacado, tomato, and fresh lime.

its my favorite fish recipe ever, cod is very mild and doesnt taste too fishy at all to me at least

Ksquared 05-24-2012 02:58 PM

SHARK
Try Shark.. it has nofish smell, doesn't taste fishy. it is SO Delish. Easy to get, all my local stores carry it and I am in NM. I love making Shark and Salmon.

SensualSiren 05-24-2012 02:59 PM

I bake my fish (2 fillets - one for me, one for my husband) for around 20 minutes at 475 degrees. I just add my favorite seasonings, depending on my mood and the fish. I prefer tilapia, salmon, and catfish.

sizzlingina 05-25-2012 08:28 PM

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions! Very much appreciated.

I look at the local grocery store, and the fish selection is non existent. The only fresh fish I catfish. It didn't look too appetizing.
So, I bought something in a box that's "Cajun blackened Alaskan Pollock"
Going to try it later and see. I hope I love it!

Slimmer Down Now 06-03-2012 08:54 PM

Some find catfish to be fishy...

I eat A LOT of fish.. tilapia is good (get wild caught, never get farm-raised) and you should be able to find that frozen.. it's mild. I like to put it with a few lemons on it with some cut up onions and olives.. wrap it all up in aluminum foil.. and put it on the grill.. it's yum! Everything tastes better to me on a grill :)

BillBlueEyes 06-03-2012 09:05 PM

Consider fresh Tilapia. Some recipes from allrecipes.com

My view is that it has NO taste . . . tastes like whatever spices you put on it.

Good luck. Your fish is out there.

ilsita 06-07-2012 02:49 PM

There's a thread on Chowhound titled "Need A Tasty Fish Recipe to Convert a Non-Fish Eater" that has a lot of good ideas. I don't have enough posts yet to provide a url, but its at chowhound(dot)chow(dot)com(slash)topics(slash)4113 20

Last night, I made halibut for dinner, and it was awesome. Here's what I did:

Salted and peppered the fish, sprinkled some thyme on top, and put the filets in a baking dish. I gave it a splash of white wine (just a splash), a squeeze of lemon, and placed a few round onion slices on top, with a few pats of butter. I happened to have some sprigs of rosemary and tarragon handy, so I just threw those into the pan whole. Then I put it under the broiler, on high.

While it was broiling, I made a really quick sauce, with just butter, diced tomato (let it reduce a little), salt and pepper, and a splash of heavy cream.

When the fish was done, I pulled the fillets out and put them in a bowl with a little of the liquid from the baking dish. Then I topped them with the tomato cream sauce.

It was almost like a stew. It was really quick and delicious.

Slimmer Down Now 06-07-2012 07:42 PM

yum!

MarjorieMargarine 07-06-2012 12:17 PM

I also can't stand "fishy" fish, but I really enjoy mild fish. Mahi-mahi tastes like pork to me. I also like whiting (I think it's also called hake) which is a lot less expensive and usually available frozen. Catfish usually tastes "muddy" to me.
One of my favorite things to do with fish is to sautee it in a little EVOO/ butter, and make a sort of pan-sauce with olives(I like the big green ones stuffed with garlic and/or jalapeno chopped up),lemon juice, a few sliced cherry tomatoes, onions, and fresh parsley if I have it. It's so good- I've found that even when I've purchased fish that ended up being a bit on the fishy side, the olives cut that flavor a lot.

Kaitri 07-07-2012 10:17 PM

I love fish, but my BF isn't the biggest fan. The key to making him eat fish has been cooking it with flavours that he already enjoys.

Can you list a few "types" of flavours that you prefer for meat (like chicken)? Some examples could be "Thai", "Indian", "Cajun", etc. If you do that, I can probably give you a bunch of suggestions.